PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2011, 07:46 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint

Big Redneck3100 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig Redneck3100 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig Redneck3100 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig Redneck3100 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig Redneck3100 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig Redneck3100 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig Redneck3100 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig Redneck3100 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig Redneck3100 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to Big Redneck3100
Re: Is switching to iPhone just because of battery a bad decision?

My battery life isnt too bad...i use the net at work alot, and market an such and after 8 hours im still around 50%....so for me thats not bad. I personally wouldnt wanna be locked down by att or the crApple market system. I would rather see my Evo blown to bits and have to buy a new one ten times over than lower my standards to att or crApple and their "pay me all your money for crap service" attitude....

When life gives you lemons...find someone whos life gave them tequilla and have a party!!!!

If I've helped you in any way, please hit the button, I surely appreciate it!!!!!
Old 06-16-2011, 07:57 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO

slickjestap is just getting started

Iphone battery is crap too. 6-7 hours on light use is terrible on the evo. I get 24+ hours on pretty light usage.

Your main battery issues have to do with what kernel you are running on ,what PRL you have, what sort of signal you have with your carrier,your battery size,syncing frequency,and running apps in the background.

I would invest in a extended battery,root your phone,and run a custom rom first.That will only cost you maybe 50 at the most. If you are living/working in an area that your signal is terrible then your battery life will always be bad unless you airplane mode it or run skype off wifi for calls. Might as well not have a phone then though if you have to do that.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:49 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO 4g

jrob is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by yashmathur08 View Post
I am sick of poor performance of my EVO's battery. I am not able to use the phones full capability for sake of battery exhaustion fear. My Evo last for 6-7 hour a day for very light(almost no) use.

I juice up 6-7 Hours by:

1) Disabled background data in setting
2) Use Juice Defender
3) Uninstalled useless app from Sprint via Titanium Backup (this proves I am rooted)
4) Refrain my self to use phone for long voice call (less than 30 minutes a day)
5) Refrain my self to use applications. (Forget about Data hoggers like Netflix and other I use skyfire or Dolphin browser to read newspapers.)
6) Scheduled my Emails to sync once a day

The points 4,5 and 6 really pisses me off. If I can use my phone as a phone at the end of the day then what is the purpose of having a cell phone??

Anyways I am not using my EVO and Sprint's 4G to full potential in fear of battery. iPhone will mostly not offer me most of the things so I will be saving most of the battery at-least for a day and be able to talk more.(What most of the iphone users are claiming with coming of iOS5)

Switching to iPhone the biggest thing I have to lose is flash. I was thinking 4G network but again I am not using 4G most of the time in fear of saving battery.

In a phone these 3 features will fulfill my appetite:
1) Able to make calls
2) Use web browser
3) Use Navigation

CM7 plus an extra battery that I carry in my pocket gets me through the day and well into the night!!!
Old 06-16-2011, 01:41 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Evo 4G

JeffKay is becoming a PPCGeeks regularJeffKay is becoming a PPCGeeks regularJeffKay is becoming a PPCGeeks regularJeffKay is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

I have have 3500 battery and two stocks ones with two external wall chargers.

I have an extra with me.. Problem solved.

I can slap a new battery in, you can't do that with an iPhone.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:45 PM
Postwhoring VIP
Pocket PC: MoPho Ray Tube!!!

OR78 is a VIPOR78 is a VIPOR78 is a VIPOR78 is a VIPOR78 is a VIPOR78 is a VIPOR78 is a VIPOR78 is a VIPOR78 is a VIPOR78 is a VIPOR78 is a VIP
Send a message via MSN to OR78

How and why in the world has this thread made it this long in the EVO forum......

Give some
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:28 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Evo3D

nasa1303 is becoming a great contributor
The screen on iPhone seems half the size of EVO when in hand. I had always been an iPhone fan till I got my EVO. I hold one now and just can't get over how small the screen looks. I don't know but I have a charger in the work truck and if I'm gonna be busy for a while I always throw it on there. One thing u can do is throw the HTC "mobile" toggle switch on Ur home screen u will be amazed at how long the battery lasts when Ur not connected constantly. Just switch it off when Ur done playing around. Calls and texts still come in when its off.

Sent from my rooted EVO 4G
Old 06-16-2011, 09:42 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Evo 4G

JeffKay is becoming a PPCGeeks regularJeffKay is becoming a PPCGeeks regularJeffKay is becoming a PPCGeeks regularJeffKay is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasa1303 View Post
The screen on iPhone seems half the size of EVO when in hand. I had always been an iPhone fan till I got my EVO. I hold one now and just can't get over how small the screen looks. I don't know but I have a charger in the work truck and if I'm gonna be busy for a while I always throw it on there. One thing u can do is throw the HTC "mobile" toggle switch on Ur home screen u will be amazed at how long the battery lasts when Ur not connected constantly. Just switch it off when Ur done playing around. Calls and texts still come in when its off.

Sent from my rooted EVO 4G
I second this one. If you toggle off mobile data, the battery life is very good. I did that in a pinch, it worked great for over 24 hours.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:40 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO!

Fat Tony is keeping up the good workFat Tony is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Buy an extended battery, you can get the cheapy 3500MAH that comes with a wall charger (you get two of them for like 12 bucks). Lots of users on this site have them and they work better then stock.

Go to the market.
Download Auto Killer
Download Autorun Manager
Autostarts

Install and tweak those three programs. You'd be amazed how many times simple background apps pop up and stay open. I use all three and I use my phone a lot with a full days useage (8AM to 7 or 8PM) I have the extra battery in my car so if it dies, I pop in a new one and got full power again.

Play around with ROMS. Some are better then others. (I suggest OMJ)
Turn your brightness down. Yes, it helps.
Go in settings and fix how often stocks, news, etc. update.
if you are rooted, delete twitter, stocks, sprintlive, etc.

If you tweak it, you'll get more time out of it.
Isaiah 43:2 When you go through deep waters, I will be with you. When you go through rivers of difficulty, you will not drown. When you walk through the fire of oppression, you will not be burned up; the flames will not consume you.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:28 AM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: ip6
Carrier: tmobile

Riley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

Moved to Phone Comparisons. It belongs there now so please discuss away. Good point OR78.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:50 AM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Personally I carry 3 batteries..one is in the phone, then if it runs out I put in the 2nd one, then when I get home I put 1st one on external charger and go about my next day..when 2nd battery runs out I swap in my 3rd battery and when I come back I pick up 1st battery and put 2nd battery on charger and so on...so I pretty much spend 0 time charging...just swap..reset phone..takes 20 seconds for a complete swap as phone takes 10 seconds to boot anyways.

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison

Tags
evo 4g, iphone 4