PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2011, 10:46 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: VZW Touch pro 2
Carrier: Page Plus

aczlan is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
LG Fathom, LG Ally or what?

I am looking to upgrade phones. I am on Verizon and will not be leaving (coverage+lots of family on VZW).
I had an XV6700 in the past and loved it. I had WM6.0 installed on it and it worked great. Sadly, it decided to stop charging and I cant seem to get that fixed (hints on fixing it would be useful, otherwise I am going to sell it on ebay for parts).
I am currently using a Palm Treo 755P and it is ok. I like the battery life and sound quality, but would like a wider screen, a newer OS and something with a slide out keyboard. I will be buying this phone on ebay as I don't have ANY interest in paying for a data plan.

My phone capability requirements are:
  • Decent call quality
  • Touchscreen
  • Slideout QWERTY keyboard
  • WiFi (able to connect to a WPA2 network)
  • Decent battery life (charging every other day unless used heavily)
  • Bluetooth
  • Edit docs
  • Read PDFs
  • Install apps
  • Sync pictures and docs with my Windows 7 desktop
  • Decent camera
  • Able to take a 4GB+ card of some sort
  • Price: $150ish in ebay
  • NOT Windows Mobile 7
Looks aren't really important to me, but durability is a plus.

From what I have found, I like the Fathom and the Ally, but I am wondering if there is anything that sets one of these phones ahead of the other and if there are any other phones that I should add to my "watch for" list?

Thanks in advance for the advice and opinions.

Aaron Z
Old 03-20-2011, 11:34 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: LG V10, iPhone 6 and Nokia ICON
Carrier: Verizon

DavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to DavidinCT Send a message via MSN to DavidinCT
Re: LG Fathom, LG Ally or what?

Well, I was going to say the LG Fathom would cover you but, both would do pretty much what want but, none of them will work for what your looking for on Verizon wireless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aczlan View Post
I will be buying this phone on ebay as I don't have ANY interest in paying for a data plan.
Contract or not, they will not activate current smartphones on their network with out a data plan. Once you activate the phone, it will automaticily add it. There is no way around this...Call them up and ask.

Unless you get another one of the 6700's (only WM smartphone they will activate without a data plan), you are stuck with a data plan.

I know people want to save money, I understand this but, why would someone get a smartphone that is designed for the internet then cheap out on the thing that makes the phone what it is ???

Just my thoughts...

http://mc.anywherecool.com/Blog/
If I helped in anyway, please hit thanks !
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 03-20-2011, 01:39 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

aczlan is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidinCT View Post
Well, I was going to say the LG Fathom would cover you but, both would do pretty much what want but, none of them will work for what your looking for on Verizon wireless.
Contract or not, they will not activate current smartphones on their network with out a data plan. Once you activate the phone, it will automaticily add it. There is no way around this...Call them up and ask.
Unless you get another one of the 6700's (only WM smartphone they will activate without a data plan), you are stuck with a data plan.
Time will tell. I have my Palm 755P on a "pay as you go" data plan with data blocked for that line and while the rep I called wasn't happy to activate it without a data plan, it was possible. I will have to call and make sure before buying either phone.

Quote:
I know people want to save money, I understand this but, why would someone get a smartphone that is designed for the internet then cheap out on the thing that makes the phone what it is ???
I work as a Systems Administrator, I am in front of a computer for 7-10 hours every day. As such, when I am away from my computer, I dont need to be that connected to the internet. I could get an ipod touch to do most of what I want (PDA stuff and occasional internet browsing) then go back to my Motorola W755 for a phone, but I dont want to carry two devices around.

Thanks

Aaron Z
Old 03-20-2011, 05:47 PM
VIP Member

DavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
Time will tell. I have my Palm 755P on a "pay as you go" data plan with data blocked for that line and while the rep I called wasn't happy to activate it without a data plan, it was possible. I will have to call and make sure before buying either phone.

I work as a Systems Administrator, I am in front of a computer for 7-10 hours every day. As such, when I am away from my computer, I dont need to be that connected to the internet. I could get an ipod touch to do most of what I want (PDA stuff and occasional internet browsing) then go back to my Motorola W755 for a phone, but I dont want to carry two devices around.

Thanks

Aaron Z
Some older models they will activate with out a data plan, note the key word, "older phones". They can not give you a list on models but, they can tell you if you ask them about a model.

This discussion has come up a bunch of times here on XDA. No current models (both phones you listed are current)of smartphones can be activated without a Data plan. Some, sort of smartphones can, but, they are not definded as a full smart phone but, all Windows Mobile and Android devices are.

I'm a systems admin too. I have been doing it for 20+ years now. It's always nice to have access to emails when ever they come in. I'm inbetween contracts right now but, I always like having my e-mail from 4 accounts with me at all times.

I still stand on what I said before, these "smartphones" are designed around a internet connection, Why even bother having one if your not going to use it like that?

If you want to go do what you want...buy a older phone or carry 2 devices...

Good luck !
Old 03-20-2011, 06:06 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

aczlan is a n00b

Quote:
Some older models they will activate with out a data plan, note the key word, "older phones". They can not give you a list on models but, they can tell you if you ask them about a model
This discussion has come up a bunch of times here on XDA. No current models (both phones you listed are current)of smartphones can be activated without a Data plan. Some, sort of smartphones can, but, they are not definded as a full smart phone but, all Windows Mobile and Android devices are.
Would I have better luck with a XV6800?

Quote:
I'm a systems admin too. I have been doing it for 20+ years now. It's always nice to have access to emails when ever they come in. I'm inbetween contracts right now but, I always like having my e-mail from 4 accounts with me at all times.
I am not on call (not high enough on the totem pole) so it is unlikley that I will get a critical email in the off hours. Alerts can be sent via text message and those who need to be able to contact me have my number

Quote:
I still stand on what I said before, these "smartphones" are designed around a internet connection, Why even bother having one if your not going to use it like that?
If you want to go do what you want...buy a older phone or carry 2 devices...
I have developed an affinity for being able to have my calendar, spreadsheets, word documents, lesson books, PDFs, etc available anywhere that I have my phone. I liked being able to browse the internet while on WiFi from my 6700, but for me it isnt worth $15-30/month to be that connected.

Quote:
Good luck !
Thanks, it sounds like I am going to need it.

Aaron Z
Old 03-22-2011, 02:39 AM
VIP Member

6800 is needs a data plan...sorry, 6700 was the last one that didn't....

Call them up with a few models your thinking about see what they say. If you look at VZW's site, under the price it says needs a data plan on the models that must have it(look at a few of them you know what I mean).

They are activated the same, without contract, you don't get the promotional price. Contract or not, it is what it is...
Old 03-22-2011, 06:03 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

aczlan is a n00b

I spoke to a wonderfully helpful person on the VZW support line and she said that an alltel 6800 MIGHT be able to be activated without a dataplan (depending on its age, there were several options available for that phone), but she was certain that a VZW one would have to have it and she couldn't say anything for sure without an ESN.

Aaron Z
Old 03-24-2011, 11:53 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
I spoke to a wonderfully helpful person on the VZW support line and she said that an alltel 6800 MIGHT be able to be activated without a dataplan (depending on its age, there were several options available for that phone), but she was certain that a VZW one would have to have it and she couldn't say anything for sure without an ESN.

Aaron Z
I think as soon as you buy it you will be in shock because the system will automaticly add it....

A VZW to Alltel 6800 is the same thing and the system knows it.

The 6700 was the last model that didn't require a data plan.

Good luck on your choice... I personaly would not buy a phone with out a data plan unless I lost all access to income.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:47 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

aczlan is a n00b

Quote:
I think as soon as you buy it you will be in shock because the system will automaticly add it....
A VZW to Alltel 6800 is the same thing and the system knows it.
The 6700 was the last model that didn't require a data plan.
I will get the ESN and call to verify that I can activate that phone without a data plan BEFORE buying it.

Quote:
Good luck on your choice... I personaly would not buy a phone with out a data plan unless I lost all access to income.
To each their own. For me, it is not worth $180-380 per year to have a dataplan.

Aaron Z
Old 03-25-2011, 09:46 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
To each their own. For me, it is not worth $180-380 per year to have a dataplan.
It's not that I like paying it, but, I do need a internet connection on my phone always, so there really is not a choice for me.

Good luck on what you get.

If you get a 6800 activated without a data plan, post back or PM me, just wondering because I was clearly told NO from some higher ups at VZW.

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison

Tags
ally, fathom, window mobile