PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2010, 04:44 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

camtah is keeping up the good workcamtah is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Dropped Epic - Went to TP2

Folks:

I just got back from the Sprint store, having returned my Epic. I picked up a TP2 to replace it.

Now before you all go off and tell me I am missing a few cards in my deck, I really tried to have the Epic work for me. There is no doubt that the speed and display is first rate. But once I got beyond the eye candy, I realized that this device is for the "gee whiz" crowd. I came from the Treo Pro and used my device for business and personal use. I use navigation and outlook quite a bit and the Epic and Android OS leave a lot to be desired in this area.

Despite what most Epic diehards will say, I believe through my testing that the GPS still is an issue with the Epic. Outlook (non-exchange) integration is awful, despite using programs like CampanionLink, etc.

My experience with WM is with my former Treo and the few ROMS that I played with. I used both 6.1 and 6.5, with 6.1 being the preferred. I also use SPB Mobile Shell.

I intend to sit on 6.1 for a while until I am convinced that Sprint's 6.5 build is sane. Some like it, some don't so I will see how this plays out.

In closing, I do not dislike the Epic. I really enjoyed the display and speed. The keyboard was nothing special (I think the TP2 is the king here). My needs are better met on this old rickety platform with an infusion of a little nitro (ROMS) to wake it up...

Cheers...
This post has been thanked 4 times.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:23 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: touch pro2
Carrier: sprint

revaaron is keeping up the good workrevaaron is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Re: Dropped Epic - Went to TP2

just don't have more than 1K text or your tp2 will be hosed.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:31 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Epic

JohnnyOnTheSpot is becoming a great contributor

Pff mine would start going downhill at 50. The TP2 was like having a super hot girlfriend who only put out once a month.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:23 PM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1

only read part of op's post but agree 100% with the "gee whiz" part, epic i have is only staying 20dys then sprint gets it back.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:56 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G

fsp48 is keeping up the good workfsp48 is keeping up the good work

This is an Android device so yes the Office integration is not like it is on WM, I wish it was. My brother uses exchange on his Evo with no problems as well as services many clients systems via remote desktop for Android. My other brother was pretty happy to be able to use connectbot to remote into his work as well. All I wanted was a GPS Nav system, an HD video/still camera, an "mp3" player, a pocket movie player, a pocket game machine, a visual storage device, a pocket internet and email device that can also make phone calls and chat via text or web with a real keyboard. Oh and it needs to be pretty quick. So if those are the Gee Whiz things you don't like well all I can say is to each their own I guess because for now this thing is the all in one I always wanted. Enjoy what you like. I Definitely will not be in a rush to want 2.2 on this since my paid Slacker radio sounds great again being on 2.1
Old 09-02-2010, 08:10 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

ppcgpirate is keeping up the good workppcgpirate is keeping up the good work

damn, if you advertised before, i would have traded my tp2 for your epic. :-p

while it might be a gee whiz device, its browser experience & gmail integration is 100x better than the tp2 (even running opera mini).
Old 09-02-2010, 08:31 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: TP2 & EVO

BenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuff

I agree with the OP. My TP2 had no issues, required no resetting, et cetera in order to function. No problem at all with text messages. None. No problem with Exchange, POP/IMAP, et cetera. My Evo has a serious Bluetooth problem. My Evo wants to be turned off/on once a day to keep the transfer of calls to the Bluetooth headset working properly. I am so tired of touching the search button. I hate the on-screen keyboard. I hate that I had to purchase Documents to Go to become productive. I hate... The Evo is fast though.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:34 PM
Suuuper Geeenius
Pocket PC: hTc RhodiumW (Touch Pro2)

horndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to horndoctor
Wirelessly posted (htc Pocket PC: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile6.0) Sprint T7380)

Welcome Back!
Old 09-02-2010, 08:53 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: sprint

hc3cuz is a n00b

I cant wait until I have some cash to buy an Epic. I HATE MY TP2. Constantly freezes. Always getting SOD. Moves slow as shit even after a Hard Reset.... Man I could go on for days, but to OP, I guess every phone is different so maybe the TP2 is better for your given situation and since you dont experience the major issues like I do then to u buddy lol
Old 09-02-2010, 10:42 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic

dumpringz is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardumpringz is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardumpringz is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardumpringz is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Wirelessly posted (Samsung Epic : Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-us; SPH-D700 Build/ECLAIR) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

while visiting sprint today to get a replacement epic I decided to go tinker with a touch slow 2 ... man I don't miss that phone but do admit when it first came out I thought it was the best thing ever .. shame u don't love the epic .. I get so aggravated with laggy phones and feel free now that I'm back with a fast phone .. evo was a speedy fkr but so is this epic.

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison