PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2010, 02:24 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

ruffems is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
HTC TP2 versus Android?

I have a lot of questions before I go out and get the new Android that Sprint is coming out with on June 4.

My in-laws own a sprint store so the availability of the android to me is not a issue.

What my questions so far are:

1. Is the android a better phone than the tp2?

2. Which phone are the productivity applications such as email, word processing and document reading better on? WM6.5 or Android

3. What is this enhanced data pack that sprint is saying I have to get with the Android?

4. Are there custom roms or will there be with the droid? Or do we take what we can get from Sprint? I use Mighty Mike ROM on my tp2 and like it but I'm not against using the sprint set up

5. What about wireless, will I no longer be able to tether my phone via Mighty Mikes Wireless router and will I be hamstringed by the data plan Sprint offers?

6. How many apps with the droid do and will it do multiple apps well. My TP2 seems to not like anymore than 3-4 apps open at a time.

Those will start the ball rolling as I endeavor to get the best phone for me.

Thanks for the future replies.

Michael
Old 05-24-2010, 02:30 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Hero (Backup), Samsung Epic (Current)

iviyth0s is becoming a PPCGeeks regulariviyth0s is becoming a PPCGeeks regulariviyth0s is becoming a PPCGeeks regulariviyth0s is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to iviyth0s
Re: HTC TP2 versus Android?

Android is the OS not a phone.

I'm not sure what some good productivity apps are off hand but I know they exist.

Idk what data pack you're referring to.

There are plenty of custom roms for the hero (and I'm sure there are for the Moment but I'm not as familiar with that)

There are many different programs for tethering in all the different ways (wired, BT, or wifi)

Again, differing on each phone they all might multitask better or worse in comparison. My Hero seems to multitask quite well, I've had 4 up on it pretty easily.
My Epic 4G Battery Reviews
Beware of some 32GB MicroSD Cards
Old 05-24-2010, 03:45 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Droid 2
Carrier: Verizon

outlaw.99 is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via AIM to outlaw.99

When choosing, you need to compare the OS... Kinda hard to compare hardware on two whole different platforms...Ill take a stab though...

1. Is the android a better phone than the tp2? Android OS is better than WM 6.1 or 6.5 which the TP runs

2. Which phone are the productivity applications such as email, word processing and document reading better on? Maybe a draw here.. I dont mess with the office side but email, text, and pic mail are pretty quick on both

3. What is this enhanced data pack that sprint is saying I have to get with the Android? I left Sprint a while back so not sure but on VZW we have to have the $29 data pack.

4. Are there custom roms or will there be with the droid? Or do we take what we can get from Sprint? I use Mighty Mike ROM on my tp2 and like it but I'm not against using the sprint set up. No real rom needed... With the marketplace apps and the droids customizable interface I havent wanted for anything on it. I was never totally happy on any rom for the TP since there was always something I disliked...

5. What about wireless, will I no longer be able to tether my phone via Mighty Mikes Wireless router and will I be hamstringed by the data plan Sprint offers? A friend told me internet sharing was possible, but I have found the browser is enough to let me do what I need. No need to sync to Outlook anymore, everything is saved on google just in case.

6. How many apps with the droid do and will it do multiple apps well. My TP2 seems to not like anymore than 3-4 apps open at a time. No idea. I use app killer and keep it to 3 or less for my preference
Old 05-25-2010, 10:39 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Samsung Moment

blazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to blazinazn

1. Is the android a better phone than the tp2?

Like someone mentioned, Android is the OS like Windows Mobile is the OS on the TP2. Android is open source and has a ton of free apps on the market.

2. Which phone are the productivity applications such as email, word processing and document reading better on? WM6.5 or Android

Android supports outlook, yahoo, hotmail, etc. You can sync multiple gmail accounts with Android 2.1 if you need.

3. What is this enhanced data pack that sprint is saying I have to get with the Android?

They were probably talking about the Evo 4G phone that's about to come out. Every person who gets the EVO will need to pay an extra $10 on their existing plan. Even if you don't have 4g in your city, you still have to pay the extra $10

4. Are there custom roms or will there be with the droid? Or do we take what we can get from Sprint? I use Mighty Mike ROM on my tp2 and like it but I'm not against using the sprint set up

I know there are a lot of custom ROM's for the Hero and a few for the moment on Sprint. I'm sure there will be for EVO.

5. What about wireless, will I no longer be able to tether my phone via Mighty Mikes Wireless router and will I be hamstringed by the data plan Sprint offers?

If there isn't a way with whatever phone you are looking for, there will be. The developers always find a way. They just released Android 2.1 for the moment and someone has already figured out a way to wirelessly tether.

6. How many apps with the droid do and will it do multiple apps well. My TP2 seems to not like anymore than 3-4 apps open at a time.

I can run up to 5-6 apps before the phone starts bogging down. It will still work but you may notice some lag.

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison