PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Palm Treo Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

View Poll Results: How is the housing on your Treo Pro holding up?
Treo Pro has been babied and has cracks 2 6.67%
Treo Pro has been knocked around and has cracks 3 10.00%
Treo Pro has been babied and has NO cracks 16 53.33%
Treo Pro has been knocked around and has NO cracks 9 30.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2009, 10:28 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G LTE
Carrier: Sprint!

veedubguru knows their stuffveedubguru knows their stuffveedubguru knows their stuffveedubguru knows their stuffveedubguru knows their stuffveedubguru knows their stuffveedubguru knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via MSN to veedubguru
Cracks in CDMA Treo Pros

Not sure if this has been posted here, I couldn't find it. It is however listed as a problem with GSM Treo Pros on other sites, but I haven't seen anything listed for the CDMA model.

I looked at my wife's Pro today and noticed that there were cracks along the edges of the front housing on both sides. One was between the volume and camera button, the other was on the side by where the end call button is. This is an apparent manufacturing defect, so lets make Sprint aware of it! I'll be taking ours in tomorrow and see what they are willing to do about it and I'll post back.

She has a phone pocket in her purse, and it's never been dropped. It even has less scratches on it than I've seen compared to other Treo Pros after only a month of use. She takes care of it very well. We've had it exactly 2 months now.

Look at your Treos and see if there are cracks present. They are very thin, and are easy to miss till they get bigger. I will post pictures tonight.

If you can, post photos showing any cracks you've found in your housing so we all can use it as ammo to get these things fixed. Also let us know how long you've owned your Pro, and if possible the manufacture date. I don't have it available on ours right now because my wife had to take off right as soon as I noticed them.

EDIT 7/1/09: Just came from Sprint repair store, and apparently the techs there don't know the difference between "Physical Damage" and "Defective Materials". They of course told me that they hadn't been handed the issue from Palm for replacement on this. So of course, I called Palm. Was on the phone 20 minutes in total and had a service ticket started. I first told the woman on the phone about the cracks by the end call button, then she asked if there was a crack on the opposite side by the volume button too! HOW DID SHE KNOW THAT? LOL Palm knows this is an issue! They offered to have me ship the handset back for FREE repair, or told me I could go back to Sprint with the PALM Service ticket number and have them call to verify that they have approved for repair or replacement! If you find cracks in yours, you'd be better off to call Palm first! I will post an update when I get done taking my new ammo to the Sprint store in the morning.

EDIT 7/15/09: Finally got around to calling Sprint Advanced Exchange today and guess what... sending a new device. Why was this so hard to get done at the Sprint store? Even armed with the Palm service ticket number, they were still calling it damage. This particular "Sprint Tech Store" employs only idiots that have no clue what the difference is between DAMAGE, and DEFECT. +1 to calling in to Sprint as opposed to going in to a Sprint store... they aren't in a rush to help with LEGIT issues. To those that live in Indianapolis, stay away from 39.645315, -86.133596. You'll get no help there!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1448.JPG (803.5 KB, 78 views) Click for barcode!
File Type: jpg 100_1449.JPG (855.5 KB, 52 views) Click for barcode!

Last edited by veedubguru; 07-15-2009 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Photos added!
Old 06-26-2009, 11:27 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Palm Treo Pro
Carrier: Sprint

Scott559 is a n00b
Re: Cracks in CDMA Treo Pros

I just cleaned and inspected mine, No cracks, I've had it since March 15th, I use the innocase II and Best Skins Ever, Mine get's banged around a bit ( Hence the extra protection). So at least with my phone, So far, So good.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:30 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

veedubguru knows their stuffveedubguru knows their stuffveedubguru knows their stuffveedubguru knows their stuffveedubguru knows their stuffveedubguru knows their stuffveedubguru knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott559 View Post
I just cleaned and inspected mine, No cracks, I've had it since March 15th, I use the innocase II and Best Skins Ever, Mine get's banged around a bit ( Hence the extra protection). So at least with my phone, So far, So good.
Good to see another Indy PPCGeeks memeber here! I'm wondering after further reading that this might be more common in Pros that have had the battery cover repeatedly removed.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:43 AM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Motorola Photon & Bravo
Carrier: Sprint & AT&T PAYG

budney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via Yahoo to budney

I have had mine for two months, and no cracks here. But I baby mine & protected it with a Innocase II

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n...1249020923.gif http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n...1249020658.gif
Old 06-26-2009, 11:54 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

Ok, so 2 peeps using the same case are not having problems. Looks like I should've bought one for her. Here's the thread talking about the GSM version, and we have the same on our Sprint one. http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/2197-1.htm

I just attatched the photos of these cracks in my first post.

BTW... Gotta admire the Dave Mustaine quote.

Last edited by veedubguru; 06-26-2009 at 06:40 PM.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:01 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

8rotor8 is keeping up the good work8rotor8 is keeping up the good work

I'm crack free here, I dropped it just once and it has been covered with BSE
History of Phones: Sanyo 5500, Samsung VGA 1000, Sanyo 8200, Sanyo 8300, Samsung 970, Samsung 920, Samsung 880, Samsung Blade, Palm 700p, Palm 755p, Palm 800w, HTC Diamond, Palm Pro, HTC Touch Pro 2, finally a Palm Pre!!!
Old 06-26-2009, 11:21 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Samsung Intrepid
Carrier: The Now Network

rafyrod is keeping up the good workrafyrod is keeping up the good workrafyrod is keeping up the good work
Send a message via MSN to rafyrod

not a crack in here either... i have mine fully protected with a silicon case, a pouch and myself lol

oh my goodness, i saw the thread in treocentral, like wow put lotion on those treo is like they getting dry skin... haha

Last edited by rafyrod; 06-26-2009 at 11:24 PM.
Old 06-27-2009, 12:05 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: GS3/stock&unrooted

skeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on rep

no case or anything...no cracks either...
Old 06-27-2009, 02:20 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Hero

crashjack is keeping up the good workcrashjack is keeping up the good work

Ive had mine since Jan 16th and mine has no cracks, i kinda baby mine (not as much as i did for the first few months though), mine does have some paint wear though where the case that i use rubs up against it. I use the case by Seidio that is sold at the Sprint stores. i like the way the case looks n the phone so the damage to the paint doesnt bother me.

Last edited by crashjack; 06-27-2009 at 02:23 PM.
Old 06-27-2009, 02:23 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Samsung Intrepid
Carrier: The Now Network

rafyrod is keeping up the good workrafyrod is keeping up the good workrafyrod is keeping up the good work
Send a message via MSN to rafyrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashjack View Post
Ive had mine since Jan 16th and mine has no cracks, i kinda baby mine (not as much as i did for the first few months though, mine does have some paint wear though where the case that i use rubs up against it. I use the case by Seidio that is sold at the Sprint stores. i like the way the case looks n the phone so the damage to the paint doesnt bother me.
how you got yours on jan 16, when the tre for sprint came out in march?
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Palm Treo Pro