PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions > Legacy WM Devices > Palm Treo 700W/WX
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2006, 02:40 PM
Lurker

Prototype is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
700wx Help for Newb

Good Afternoon,

I purchase a 700wx a week and a half ago and I am generally happy with it. I am a complete novice when it comes to this technology. I have had a Samsung camera phone since 2003 and I have never owned a Palm Pilot or PDA. I guess the only thing I have going for me is that I am familiar enough with Windows to play around and figure some things out but other than that, I know nothing. I have been reading this site and it has helped me greatly, thank you for posting such great info in a way that a complete rookie could understand. I have run into two problems with my device:

1) My 700wx came with some software called On Demand. I activated it and used it one time. Since then, whenver I click on the icon, nothing happens. It seems as if my device is not recoginizing me touching the icon with the stylus. Every other icon responds when it is clicked. I tried to uninstall and reinstall but that is not working either. Is there a fix for this?

2) The piscel PDF viewer came standard with this phone as well but it does not seem to recognize eFax PDF files. Is this normal and if so, is there a workaround? I get a lot of eFax docs and they come over in the PDF format but everytime I open one, all I get is a blank page. I can other PDF files, just not the eFax ones.

3) My Windows Media Player 10 does not recognize MPEG files downloaded from the internet. I looked in my user guide and it did not list MPEGs as a format it can recognize. I know WMP can play MPEGs as it does on my home and work computer. Is there some download to correct this problem or is just a limitation of the software?

Thank you for all the great information. I have downloaded Total Commander so I can unzip files(although I do not know how to fully use it) and I downloaded the PHM Regedit software. Oh, a quite a few themes as well. Most important, thank you for the workaround with Picture Mail, I was about to take this phone back and get a 700p but since I can now send picture mail, I am very happy with my device. Oh, is there a good website to download ringtones?

Sorry for the long post. I am exicited about my new phone and I want to get the most out of it for the price. Thanks in advance for all your help.

Love, Kindness and Honesty are always right, in all situations.
Old 10-11-2006, 01:06 PM
Founder & Owner
Pocket PC: iPhone XS Max
Carrier: Sprint

Wideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to Wideawake
sorry no one has helped u yet...I don't own a treo and quickly skimmed ur article so here's a few answers...

1. efax pdf files, not sure y they aren't recognized but give pocketxpdf a try and see if it works. u can get it by searching the forum theres a couple topics on it with the download. Link to PocketXPDF

2. yea wmp can't play mpegs. best bet is to install tcpmp which is also available here. TCPMP Download

3. ringtones....u can find them here....if we don't have what ur looking for feel free to request it to b made.
hope this helps.
~mike

ps if I have time later I will find th links for u.

Old 10-11-2006, 02:49 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Prototype is a n00b
Thanks for getting back to me. I downloaded the PocketXPDF but when I click on PDF files, the Piscel Viewer still opens by default. I would like to have both but how can I designate the Pocket viewer to be the default version?

Man, I wish they could have had MPEGs. I will download the other version and check for the ringtones.
Old 10-11-2006, 02:58 PM
Founder & Owner
Pocket PC: iPhone XS Max

Wideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to Wideawake
not exactly sure about the pdf thing like I said I have a apache myself. any treo owners got any idea??
Old 10-11-2006, 08:35 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: iPhone
Carrier: AT&T

storyr is a trusted member of the communitystoryr is a trusted member of the communitystoryr is a trusted member of the communitystoryr is a trusted member of the communitystoryr is a trusted member of the communitystoryr is a trusted member of the communitystoryr is a trusted member of the communitystoryr is a trusted member of the communitystoryr is a trusted member of the communitystoryr is a trusted member of the communitystoryr is a trusted member of the community
I used it for the first time yesterday - on an email attachment. It worked fine for me.

I realize that's of no help to you... Do the efax files have a .pdf file suffix? Perhaps they're created in a new format that's not backwards compatible?

I'll do some research...
Old 10-11-2006, 08:46 PM
The Voice of Reason
Pocket PC: PPC 6700/Touch Diamond/Touch Pro

Big D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Are you loading the efax files through active sync? Active Sync will make the files viewable by the existing pdf viewer. Have you tried that? All you need to do is save the file on the desk to then connect and open active sync, use explore to drag and drop the file in the desired location. This should open a conversion dialog box. The file will be converted for viewing in the existing pdf viewer. Hope that helps, let me know.
“It is from numberless diverse acts of courage and belief that human history is shaped. Each time a man stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends forth a tiny ripple of hope.”

Robert Kennedy

Ha y'all come visit me at WMExperts some time.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:49 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: iPhone
Carrier: AT&T

storyr is a trusted member of the communitystoryr is a trusted member of the communitystoryr is a trusted member of the communitystoryr is a trusted member of the communitystoryr is a trusted member of the communitystoryr is a trusted member of the communitystoryr is a trusted member of the communitystoryr is a trusted member of the communitystoryr is a trusted member of the communitystoryr is a trusted member of the communitystoryr is a trusted member of the community
Question: Which subscription level of efax do you have? eFaxPro, eFaxPlus or eFaxFree?

It looks like you have a choice of formats, and I'm wondering if you're receiving pdf files or some other format...

By the way, here's an informative discussion on how to zoom documents with picsel viewer:

http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=103918
Old 10-14-2006, 11:04 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Prototype is a n00b
Thanks for all the information. I am not sure what level of efax I have since it is through my job. Also, I usually get my PDF files through email and I when I click on the PDF file, it opens automatically. I do not get the oppurtunity to save the file but I could be doing it wrong. When I get the email, I am usually not near a computer so I can only open it through my phone. Is there a way to save it before I open it on my phone?

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions > Legacy WM Devices > Palm Treo 700W/WX