PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions > Legacy WM Devices > Palm Treo 700W/WX
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2007, 10:43 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Blackberry Curve 8330
Carrier: Sprint

Noodle is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Audio Jack Issues

Ok so for a different set of eyes here might be able to help me with this. I'm going to repost one of my own questions from sprintusers

Treo 700wx Audio Jack Issues

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok so I'm now on treo number 3 for myself, to make a long story well probably won't be so short.

I returned number 1 due to a sticking h key and had used wmp to listen to music through the included stereo headset.

on to number 2 the replacement from the above problem. by the time I got this one i had had lost the stereo headset that was supplied from palm and when recieving my new treo was given a replacement set from I'm guessing a Fusic (LG is printed on these headphones) from my local sprint store. i thought how nice. Turns out a few days later after loving the fact that all the keys worked on my phone I come to find out the sound is only playing in mono. I try a different headset (well the top half anyway) nope still mono, so I think maybe it's a bad 2.5mm jack and go buy a completely different adaptor from my local Radio Shack. nope still doesn't work.

On to #3 so I take #2 back to my sprint store and they test (plug the phone into a set of speakers they have) and sure enough it doesn't work. well after waiting for 2 weeks for them to get more 700wx's in stock I happily go pick up my new phone again. At this time I am in a hurry to get to work and didn't have time to test it untill the next day (I worked till close and went straight to bed) and i thought they surely would have checked it out to make sure they wern't handing me another defective phone. Wrong again I was, sure enough this one doesn't work either. Still mono.

Now my biggest question is there somthing different about the palm headset that comes with the phone as opposed to just a basic 2.5 to 3.5mm adaptor. I don't feel like dropping $20 - $30 on a new headset just to find out it really is another defective phone.

Also by some chance could the A2DP bluetooth hack be a problem. my first one worked great but now I'm on number 3 and really don't want to try for #4 if I can help it.
Old 06-21-2007, 04:38 PM
Moderator/WMExperts Staff
Pocket PC: Pure, TP2, Snap, Ozone, Intrepid,Treo Pro

Malatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Re: Audio Jack Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodle
Now my biggest question is there somthing different about the palm headset that comes with the phone as opposed to just a basic 2.5 to 3.5mm adaptor. I don't feel like dropping $20 - $30 on a new headset just to find out it really is another defective phone.
There certainly is something different!

The one you need is not a "normal" 2.5 jack adapter but rather one made for these devices...in which case a RadioShack version will most likely cause what you are experiencing.

I highly recommend THIS one (strange, they used to have many more) or look to by Seidio's full retractable stereo headphone kit (it's like $54 though) but is top-notch.

Also, I should point out that audio jack problems on the Treo line is not uncommon. It is less so with the 700w/x series but being rough on the jack etc has been known to loosen it and cause issues (e.g. it breaks and then you can't use the earpiece anymore). This is not to say that thousands of people don't use it every single day for a MP3 player with zero issue...
Old 06-21-2007, 09:45 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Motorola Photon & Bravo
Carrier: Sprint & AT&T PAYG

budney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via Yahoo to budney
You may want to check out ebay they have a pretty good selection and most are inexpensive.

http://cell-phones.search-desc.ebay....saobfmtsZinsif

And I do not recommend Seidio's retractable headset at all, the wire is so thin it will ware out too quickly for the price. I bought one when I had my 6700 and it only lasted 4 months.

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n...1249020923.gif http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n...1249020658.gif
Old 06-22-2007, 05:11 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Noodle is a n00b
thanks for the input Mal and budney, is it the two "connector" rings that is the difference as opposed to three. The other adapter and the set the sprint store gave me as a replacement both have three on the 2.5mm end
Old 06-22-2007, 08:28 AM
Retired Staff

budney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on rep
The rings are not the difference, but the placement of the rings. Both stereo headsets I have are three ring. The third ring is for calls, so the adapters that don't have a mic only need the two rings.
Old 06-23-2007, 01:53 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Noodle is a n00b
Ultimately what I'm looking for is a replacement with a mic that will actually work and not too expensive just so if I'm listening to music already I can take a call if it comes in. Otherwise I just use my Samsung WEP-200 if I'm just out and about.
Old 06-23-2007, 04:44 PM
Retired Staff

Did you check the eBay link in my post above? All of them are for stereo, and a good portion have mics.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions > Legacy WM Devices > Palm Treo 700W/WX