PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions > Legacy WM Devices > Palm Treo 700W/WX
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2006, 07:13 PM
The Voice of Reason
Pocket PC: PPC 6700/Touch Diamond/Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

Big D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
How to use the Sprint 700wx as a modem

After much trial and error I thing I have this worked out. This is what I have found so try for your self and give me your comments.

First you will need to download the connection manager software from sprint. The disc that comes with the 700wx has a link to this software. Download and run the software and choose the 700wx drivers. Turn on the 700wx and go to start/programs/modem link set to connection USB, hit activate. Connect the 700wx to the PC with the OEM, USB cable wait for the drivers to recognize the 700wx as a modem.

Now on your PC go to Control panel and open Network Connections than Make a new connection/next/connect to internet/set up manually/connect using dial up modem. This brings up a page that shows the available modems chose the 700wx. Go to next ISP name is sprint/next telephone number is #777/next user name and password leave blank next/finish.

Next you will see the dial up window, THIS IS IMPORTANT make SURE user name and password are blank and check the box to save password. Hit dial. This will connect the first time no problem, but the next time you try you will get an error 687 remote computer will not respond or 692 hardware failure. Disconnect the USB cable deactivate the Modem Link than activate, reconnect the cable. BEFORE trying to make the dial up connection and while the 700wx is connected to the PC and the modem link is active, you MUST turn off the 700wx phone radio by holding the red phone button. After the phone has turned completely off turn it back on again by holding down the red phone button again. Than when the EV is back in the display start the dialup by going to start/connect to/sprint on the PC. This works every time, I am not sure what this has to do with the connection but it is the only way to reset the PPC and re-establish the connection.

I have only tethered in this way a few times so I am not sure if this usage can be tracked. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK, NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR CHARGES.

Enjoy
“It is from numberless diverse acts of courage and belief that human history is shaped. Each time a man stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends forth a tiny ripple of hope.”

Robert Kennedy

Ha y'all come visit me at WMExperts some time.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 12-19-2006, 01:15 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch

Dinomon1 is becoming a great contributor
Download Sprint PCS Connection Manager from http://www4.sprint.com/pcsbusiness/s...alId=downloads

Select: Windows XP
and Download 'Sprint PCS Connection Manager for Phone as Modem/USB Cables'

Install the driver on your home PC.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:25 PM
The Voice of Reason
Threadstarter

Big D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
After drivers are loaded you can remove sprint connections manager. The drivers are all that is needed. Admin is working on getting the drivers separate from the the connections manager
Old 12-20-2006, 12:37 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: not
Carrier: sPriNt

codyppc is a VIPcodyppc is a VIPcodyppc is a VIPcodyppc is a VIPcodyppc is a VIPcodyppc is a VIPcodyppc is a VIPcodyppc is a VIPcodyppc is a VIPcodyppc is a VIPcodyppc is a VIP
Send a message via AIM to codyppc
does anyone know if incoming calls can be received while teathering this way?

this is basically the same way we teathered with the 6700. answering incoming calls were not a problem with that unit.

I am currently using pdanet on the 700wx and cannot receive incoming calls while teathering.

this meathod would definitely be worth setting up if I could receive calls.

thanks for the post, cody
Old 12-20-2006, 03:25 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Yes, you can receive calls and answer them, but once you hang up, teathering usually gets disconnected. So you have to re-establish the connection.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:19 PM
The Voice of Reason
Threadstarter

You can also set the 700wx to block all calls if you don't want to be interrupted. Go to settings/Phone settings/services/Data Settings
Old 12-21-2006, 03:01 AM
Lurker

marcus3140 is a n00b
I've tried about four different times. Each time when I try to finally do the initial dial up, I'll get Error 680: There was no dialtone. I've followed the instructions precisely, but no luck...
Old 12-21-2006, 03:10 AM
Lurker

marcus3140 is a n00b
I retract my statement--it WORKS!! (I'm using it right now!). After trial and error, I discovered that the only way in order to get the computer to recognize the treo as an actual modem is to do a test dial via the sprint PCS connection manager, because if you don't, setting up a new network connection will not even prompt you to select a new modem.

I have a question--besides cost and convenience, what's the difference between using this method and using software like PdaNet? Also, please keep me updated if sprint catches on and sees any charges.

Thanks for the writeup!!
Old 12-21-2006, 04:41 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: not
Carrier: sPriNt

codyppc is a VIPcodyppc is a VIPcodyppc is a VIPcodyppc is a VIPcodyppc is a VIPcodyppc is a VIPcodyppc is a VIPcodyppc is a VIPcodyppc is a VIPcodyppc is a VIPcodyppc is a VIP
Send a message via AIM to codyppc
one way we did the recive incoming calls with the 6700 was .... after the call is done, don't press the "end call" button. let the other person hang up to disconnect the call. this would allow the data connection to reconnect automatically. let me know if this works with the wx.

thanks, cody
Old 12-22-2006, 12:04 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyppc
one way we did the recive incoming calls with the 6700 was .... after the call is done, don't press the "end call" button. let the other person hang up to disconnect the call. this would allow the data connection to reconnect automatically. let me know if this works with the wx.

thanks, cody
Yes, that works with Treo 700wx.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions > Legacy WM Devices > Palm Treo 700W/WX