PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions > Legacy WM Devices > Palm Treo 700W/WX

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2006, 12:41 PM
N00b

digital0verdose is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Issue sending Emails through mail2web

I am having an odd issue with mail2web and I was wondering if anyone here could help.

I am using their $1.95 service to use an smtp proxy.

I have a mailbox set up to receive and send out mails (not through activesync)*

I had this set up a couple days ago and it worked fine, however, as of a new mailbox i made yesterday, I cannot send out email anymore. I get to sending and receiving and I get a box telling me it wasn't able to download the email (only 2 or 3k).

Outgoing: smtp.exchange.mail2web.com
Domain: ad2

Require SSL: Checked or unchecked I get the same problem

Outgoing mail requires authentication: Checked

Please help if possible.

*Used for work email now.
Old 11-03-2006, 12:44 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

UPDATE: I unchecked Outgoing mail requires authentication which now allows me to send the message but I get a kick back message telling me the recipient is invalid. This is a straight up reply so now I am really confused.

This happens regardless of who is in the reply.
Old 11-03-2006, 12:58 PM
The Enforcer
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G, ViewSonic gTablet, BB Bold 9650
Carrier: Sprint

Pibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIP
What do you mean a new mailbox? Are you setting up as a POP account?

I thought the mail2web server info needed to be on ActiveSync for it to work and work as push e-mail.
Do you get mail2web on your Outlook E-mail inbox or do you have an inbox named mail2web?

Also, this thread goes through how to set it up... it worked for me...

http://ppcgeeks.com/updated-free-dir...,mail2web.html

The invalid recipient error happens to me when trying to send an e-mail via my ISP POP3 account. But mail2web works fine.
Old 11-03-2006, 01:18 PM
Moderator/WMExperts Staff
Pocket PC: Pure, TP2, Snap, Ozone, Intrepid,Treo Pro

Malatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
I think Pibe is right,

mail2web is an exchange service and I don't think you can use it for a "regular" email account as the outgoing server.

Why not use something like gmail or Sprint for your outgoing server instead?

I'm also confused: are you actually setting up mail2web under ActiveSync or are you creating a new email box for mail2web (which is not how it is used)?
Old 11-03-2006, 02:35 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

I am using it as a pop as my work email is taking over the activesync for my Treo.

I know the mail2web service can be used via POP because it was working just a couple days ago.

I use mail2web for my gmail accounts, but since there are issues with those emails staying in my inbox (poutlook) I had to find another method to keep track of those emails.

Now if there is a way to have my Treo use activesync to sync to multiple accounts, that will work, but it doesn't appear to be able to do so.
Old 11-03-2006, 02:51 PM
The Enforcer

Pibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIP
Ok assuming you have the paid Personal Exchange plan: HERE

Using Outlook Express, which is similar to PO: HERE

You could always use e-mail aggregator for your work address and setup mail2web on AS, or viceversa. Couldn't you also forward GMail to your work address?
Old 11-03-2006, 03:46 PM

Malatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by digital0verdose
I am using it as a pop as my work email is taking over the activesync for my Treo.

I know the mail2web service can be used via POP because it was working just a couple days ago.

I use mail2web for my gmail accounts, but since there are issues with those emails staying in my inbox (poutlook) I had to find another method to keep track of those emails.

Now if there is a way to have my Treo use activesync to sync to multiple accounts, that will work, but it doesn't appear to be able to do so.
I think you have pretty poor setup, imo and are confused in regards to email protocols e.g. the differences between IMAP, IMAP/IDLE, POP3 and Exchange.

(1)
Gmail does POP access, so why bother forwarding it one account? Just create 5 separate Gmail inboxes.

(2)
If you want 1 inbox for x Gmail accounts, just get an IMAP account (like AIM or Fastmail.fm, both are free IMAP, non-Exchange) and then forward your gmail to those.

(3) POP access is awful and kills battery life. IMAP is much more efficient.

I just don't understand why you need Mail2web for a non-activesync/Exchange account when you are not using it for that purpose. It's a waste and clearly doesn't work very well.

Furthermore, if you want an additional Push solution, just sign up for AIM or Fastmail.fm, forward your mail to that account and then use VGSMail for PPC, which does IMAP/IDLE. That is your Push alternative.
Old 11-03-2006, 05:22 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

The situation is that GMail DOES NOT work well with POutlook. You will receive a message and after moments, it will just vanish from you system. I do a lot of side business e-mailing and I need a reliable way to have my gmails get to me. Right now, mail2web gets them too me fine via POP, it just will not let me send them out.

The reason I do not allow mail2web to tie up my Activesync is because I need it for my primary business emails.

When I reply with my gmail account, i need it to retain the @gmail.com and I had heard good things about mail2web in acting as a proxy which is why I decided to give it a try.
Old 11-03-2006, 05:29 PM
The Enforcer

I don't know that much about the subject... but it could be that SMTP proxy does not work over POP and needs to be tied to AS. POutlook has always had issued when sending POP e-mail since most providers won't allow e-mails apps send e-mail through their servers if they are not on their networks.

It's what happened to me with my Roadrunner account, I'd get the same Invalid Recipients message. I tried finding solutions, I read some stuff about setting Sprint's SMTP server on the RR settings... some people made it work, I gave up since I discovered mail2web push.
Old 11-03-2006, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digital0verdose
The situation is that GMail DOES NOT work well with POutlook. You will receive a message and after moments, it will just vanish from you system. I do a lot of side business e-mailing and I need a reliable way to have my gmails get to me. Right now, mail2web gets them too me fine via POP, it just will not let me send them out.

The reason I do not allow mail2web to tie up my Activesync is because I need it for my primary business emails.

When I reply with my gmail account, i need it to retain the @gmail.com and I had heard good things about mail2web in acting as a proxy which is why I decided to give it a try.
That's all well and good but you ignored all the other things I said like fastmail.fm which has IMAP access (better than pop3) and they allow multiple "personalities" (2 for the free account, 4+ for pay accounts). So you forward your accounts to fastmail.fm, setup and IMAP account, send via fastmail.fm but look like it's coming from domain X.

Likewise, VGSMail (imap/idle push client) allows you to specify one outgoing email address, regardless of server, right in the setup.

I'm trying to help ya man, but I get the feeling you're not listening!

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions > Legacy WM Devices > Palm Treo 700W/WX