PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Other Devices > WebOS > WebOS Devices > Palm Pre
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2009, 09:15 AM
Flat-Out-Addicted
Pocket PC: Nexus S 4G
Carrier: Sprint

syanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Pre vs Blackberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by nreeldeep View Post
I owned a Palm Pre for a moment. It was in interesting phone. Fun to use. But for the price, I could not justify keeping it. The build was flimsy. The thin, fragile back cover would not sit flush and creaked whenever I typed on the keyboard.
There is way too much play in the two halves of the phone when closed. It just feels cheaply built, which is too bad because the phone has a sexy, minimalist look.

The battery in the Pre is in a race with the Touch Pro for the title of worst battery in a phone.

And the phone, for all the flash of the WebOs, is missing basic phone functions that are found in nonsmart phones costing $200 less, such as video recording, voice dialing, notification lights and the ability to assign different alert tones for different needs such as text messages, voicemail and calendar. You can't even forward text messages. The phone is laggy as my Touch Pro. You touch an app, and if it registers the first time you touch it, you have to wait sometimes up to 4 seconds for the page to appear. Sometimes you touch the app and instead of registering, it will slide to the right or left, forcing you to touch it again.

I'm not going to pay $299 before rebate, for a phone that cannot do basic functions that come stock in my son's $49 Samsung Rant. My girlfriend says it's like purchasing a Lexus (insert your luxury car of choice) that doesn't have a speedometer, an air conditioning unit or CD/radio player.

Yea the multitasking is fun to play with and does come in handy. At this time WebOs is all this phone has going for it. That's not enough to justify the price for me. And I'm onboard with this operating system.

The Palm Pre has potential to be a winner. But it has serious work to do. I want a WebOs device. And I'll purchase the sophisticated device that Palm/Sprint will eventually come up with. Then I'll be eager to spend my $299.

The above only applies to me. Should you find yourself interested in this device, do your homework. Read other blogs, reviews and message boards and see what folk are saying, both yay and nay. Go to the store and fool with the phione for a good while. You might find that it meets your needs at this time.
i suppose i'm so happy with it cuz i got it for $99 bucks in-store at sprint. Went in the next day to buy 4 more for the family and they couldn't honor it cuz they got in trouble...

If I helped ya or If you like my work, I don't want donations, I don't want coffee, but a simple THANKS
would do the trick!
Old 08-22-2009, 02:42 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: htc touch pro
Carrier: sprint

sho0z is keeping up the good worksho0z is keeping up the good work
Re: Pre vs Blackberry

i have yet to own either one of the phones...but i've spent a tremendous amount of time with both. i believe every phone has its own design flaws, whether it be by manufacturing or by consumer standards. its also something to note that blackberries in general have had a long time running of similiar designs that are proven to deliver what they intend to do. the browsing capabilities aren't what i would call stellar nor would i call it mediocre, but it doesn't stand up to that of the pre. the battery on the pre is just about if not worse than my touch pro, now i do believe this will change once companies like seido make extended life batteries, but i do understand the frustrations of having to walk around with multiple batteries, chargers, etc etc. now if the the battery life is something that concerns you...you've got to be realistic about it. look at what the phone can do, its a performance powerhouse. yes maybe it can't do simple phone functions right out the box, but i'm sure within due time it can and will happen. again with the blackberries...they've seem to have covered these problems early on in their development, which is why they aren't anything "special" or "groundbreaking" in my opinion. the pre came guns blazing with a brand new, from the ground up OS....to me that speaks a million more words than...getting the kinks worked out after countless models that are essentially shaped around the same functions. ........so now that i've written this long run on about the two (mostly the pre) think about what you want...like someone stated earlier...the pre has unbelieveable potential, where as to the blackberry is just about as good as it can get. think of it as two women....pre is a woman with no makeup but is pretty darn cute and cool, the blackberry is a woman all dolled up and couldnt get much better. now if the pre were to put on some make up and learned a couple more tricks...imagine how much better & better looking she can become?
Old 08-23-2009, 12:38 AM
Exigent Circumstance
Pocket PC: LG - G2x // P999
Carrier: T-Mobile ™

info[]box1 is a VIPinfo[]box1 is a VIPinfo[]box1 is a VIPinfo[]box1 is a VIPinfo[]box1 is a VIPinfo[]box1 is a VIPinfo[]box1 is a VIPinfo[]box1 is a VIPinfo[]box1 is a VIPinfo[]box1 is a VIPinfo[]box1 is a VIP
Re: Pre vs +1 Blackberry

Im a owner of both devices Palm Pre and the BB Tour is the newest device added. The Tour is my second BB I owned, first was the 8830 world which I used for 2 weeks. I must say I thought BB was to straight forward for my taste. I was a custom to WindowsMobile devices so I ran right back to what I know best. I got tired of WM ROMs late nights etc etc and decided to try the Pre out. I enjoyed the Pre very much without even Rooted the system. Pre was solid very user friendly between the OS and the keyboard which I love. The 3.1 screen was awesome with it being smoove and seamless which I love. Palm could have done a much better job hardware wise. The sliding hinge needed improvement and I make this statement w/o even experiencing any oreo effect.

Bottom line I love the Palm Pre that why its still in my personal inventory. But after using the Blackberry Tour. the verdict is in. I'm opt-ing to the BB Tour fulltime, reason being its a straight forward device. The Blackberry Tour fits my life 100% at this moment. Now Im connected w/ friends, family and business clients like never before. The Tour is a just messaging muscle car with a hemi under the hood. If It had wi-fi then I would say its running nos also...!O!

ps. the battery life on the blackberry tour is remarkable, compared to WiMo and Palm pre

By the way: Palm Pre users look out for the big OTA update in September..!!!

Last edited by info[]box1; 08-23-2009 at 01:49 AM.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Other Devices > WebOS > WebOS Devices > Palm Pre