PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News > News Archives
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2009, 11:31 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Galaxy Note II
Carrier: Verizon

Geekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via MSN to Geekcop
Text warning-Calif residents

This seemed to be the logical place (at least in my mind) to post. Mods please move if appropriate. For those Geeks fortunate or unfortunate enough to live in California, this is your friendly reminder that texting while driving is now a no-no. The advertised fine for a 1st offense is $20. Before you say "Big deal..what's $20?," you should know that's the base amount before court costs, penalty assessments, etc are added. In reality, you're looking at probably close to $100 before all is said and done. Something to think about.

Old 01-02-2009, 04:16 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

Hoof is becoming a great contributor
Re: Text warning-Calif residents

Really how are they going to know if you're texting or not? You can just say you were looking at something on your phone.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:53 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

land2634 knows their stuffland2634 knows their stuffland2634 knows their stuffland2634 knows their stuffland2634 knows their stuffland2634 knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to land2634

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoof View Post
Really how are they going to know if you're texting or not? You can just say you were looking at something on your phone.
Probably the same way they accuse some people of speeding with no evidence. It become much more costly to defend yourself than it is just to accept it up the (insert noun here) and move on.

Edit: And to GeekCop, I apologize if you really are a cop. The statement does not necessarily include all cops, but I do know it includes most of them around these parts. Got a ticket for expired inspection a couple of weeks ago while I was IN the parking lot of the place to get it inspected... I'm not bitter at all...
Old 01-02-2009, 05:25 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia
Carrier: Telus

hood662 knows their stuffhood662 knows their stuffhood662 knows their stuffhood662 knows their stuffhood662 knows their stuffhood662 knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to hood662

but for those that are actually looking at there phone because they need to know the time because they are lare for a meeting, they have to foot the cost? no, this is another way for the government to make more money rather then just taxes. Understandable it is unsafe to drive and text, but the government should come up with a better way to promote safe driving habits rather then reap the benefits of ones midsoings, all in all thats my two cents, and im glad i live in canada.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:13 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Fuze
Carrier: AT&T

Hafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

I can't believe people are acting like this is a bad thing. The point in the law is to prevent people from being distracted while driving. If you are looking at your phone while behind the wheel, then chances are you are not paying 100% attention to what's going on in front of you. Will some people get pulled over and ticketed by mistake? Yes. Do I sometimes text/look at my phone while I drive? Yes. Will I get upset at the police/system if I get pulled over and ticketed? Absolutely not.

Having problems finding what you're looking for? Here are some tips on how to search the site more effectively.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:59 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: TouchPRO
Carrier: SPRINT

Kushed is just getting started

I agree with hood662, this is just another way for the Gov. to tax people, $20 is nothing for some people, so chances are they won't dispute it and just pay it off. But it sure as hell adds up for "The Man". If they really wanted to prevent texting, they would make the punishment as harsh as DUI.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:06 PM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

Geekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoof View Post
You could, but you'll probably get cited anyway. Now you've got to take a day or two off work for traffic court, sit around there 'til your case is called, and then hope it goes your way. Of course, if the officer is a no show, the ticket is dismissed, but then you've wasted an entire day.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:12 PM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by land2634 View Post
Probably the same way they accuse some people of speeding with no evidence. It become much more costly to defend yourself than it is just to accept it up the (insert noun here) and move on.

Edit: And to GeekCop, I apologize if you really are a cop. The statement does not necessarily include all cops, but I do know it includes most of them around these parts. Got a ticket for expired inspection a couple of weeks ago while I was IN the parking lot of the place to get it inspected... I'm not bitter at all...
Yes, I am and no offense taken. I got out of uniformed patrol about 9 years ago and into Investigations, so I'm not handing out traffic cites anymore. Just posted this as a public service announcement.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:18 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Palm Pre, Samsung Moment, Evo 4G soon

dabackwoodboy knows their stuffdabackwoodboy knows their stuffdabackwoodboy knows their stuffdabackwoodboy knows their stuffdabackwoodboy knows their stuffdabackwoodboy knows their stuffdabackwoodboy knows their stuff

i would have thought this was wrong a while back but it really is becoming an issue my girlfriends lil bro was ran over 2 months ago by a 17 year old girl who was to busy texting instead of driving and not 3 months b4 that a two year old was ran over by an older lady that was to busy texting her daughter, and this has really made me realize that this is really an issue so b4 you say that its so wrong or that its just another way for gov. to get money think about some of the things that have come from people texting while driving. not to be a pain or anything just stating my opinion so take it how you like
Old 01-02-2009, 09:35 PM
The Admin-Ninja
Pocket PC: Note 2; Note 10.1

NinjaMom can't get a higher reputation levelNinjaMom can't get a higher reputation levelNinjaMom can't get a higher reputation levelNinjaMom can't get a higher reputation levelNinjaMom can't get a higher reputation levelNinjaMom can't get a higher reputation levelNinjaMom can't get a higher reputation levelNinjaMom can't get a higher reputation levelNinjaMom can't get a higher reputation levelNinjaMom can't get a higher reputation levelNinjaMom can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

No texting while driving really should be a no brainer... Only takes one 1 sec of distraction to ruin someone's life.
Earned my Brown Belt..."Champions aren't made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them: A desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill."
Muhammad Ali

PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News > News Archives