PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News > News Archives
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2008, 03:00 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint PCS

psiphi knows their stuffpsiphi knows their stuffpsiphi knows their stuffpsiphi knows their stuffpsiphi knows their stuffpsiphi knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Talking Windows Mobile 6.5?

Taken from http://blogs.zdnet.com/cell-phones/?p=217&tag=nl.e539

There has never been any official Microsoft announcement or release date for Windows Mobile 7, but much has been leaked about this future mobile operating system. Motorola was recently talking about its future mobile strategy and let slip that a Windows Mobile 6.5 update should be coming prior to Windows Mobile 7.

As stated by Sanjay Jha, co-chief executive of Motorola and chief executive of mobile devices:

"Windows Mobile 6 has not delivered the experience that I think Apple has been able to deliver, but as you look at the plan that is Windows Mobile 7 and even 6.5, I think there are significant new added features which will help the platform."

I wrote yesterday about how I find Windows Mobile 6.1 on my Treo Pro to be a perfectly capable and fully functional OS that may not have all the UI enhancements on the iPhone, but it is stable and relevant in today’s smartphone world. I haven’t seen anything about Windows Mobile 6.5 before, but it makes sense that there would be another update before something like Windows Mobile 7 since that is the way Windows Mobile upgrades have come at us in the past. I do hope that Internet Explorer Mobile 6 comes out before this 6.5 update and am quite curious about what other features Microsoft will throw into an update. The good thing about most of these point updates is that existing hardware can generally be updated.

Sometimes we see some of the enhancements made by ODMs and carriers implemented in these updates. For example, the T-Mobile Shadow (see my review) had a unique Home screen UI that later appeared very similar to what was seen in the Windows Mobile 6.1 upgrade to Standard (non-touch screen) devices. Maybe we’ll see some of the great UI enhancements that HTC and Samsung have made in their devices as part of WM 6.5.

---

Seems quite the jump to assume 6.5 will come out, but lets hope...
Old 11-07-2008, 01:36 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC TP1, TP2, and Hero
Carrier: Sprint

jhiciano is becoming a great contributor
Re: Windows Mobile 6.5?

there needs to be something new with the new version to keep up.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:12 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: MS 950XL
Carrier: AT&T & Digicel

92GTA is becoming a PPCGeeks regular92GTA is becoming a PPCGeeks regular92GTA is becoming a PPCGeeks regular92GTA is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Windows Mobile 6.5 confirmed

Following the announced delay of Windows Mobile 7, an intermediary upgrade step has been confirmed. While visiting Australia for Liberation Day, Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer spoke of the Windows Mobile 6.5 upgrade for next year in his roadmap.

In talking about Windows Mobile 6.5, Steve Ballmer did not go in to specifics but did hint at an improvement in the interface and flow of the software. It is believed, however, that this will be the first release to contain the reported Zune software integration instead of the much delayed Windows Mobile 7 release.

Though there was no specific date given for Windows Mobile 7, it was believed to be scheduled for the third quarter of 2010, two years away.

Sources close to Microsoft have indicated to Neowin that Windows Mobile 6.5 is currently being readied for device partners who should receive copies within the next month. It's possible that 6.5 could be ready in 2009 Q1.

http://neowin.net/news/main/08/11/07...e-65-confirmed
Audiovox 9000>Moto V60>MotoT720>LG5350>Sam I330>Hit G1000>PPC-6600>PPC-6800>PPC-6850>PPC-T7380>HTC-T7575>HTC-PI86100
Old 11-07-2008, 12:30 PM
Hercules Valvalotus
Pocket PC: Nokia N900 as my tablet Tmo G2 for my phone
Carrier: T-mobile & Google Voice

TheRealHotshot knows their stuffTheRealHotshot knows their stuffTheRealHotshot knows their stuffTheRealHotshot knows their stuffTheRealHotshot knows their stuffTheRealHotshot knows their stuffTheRealHotshot knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to TheRealHotshot Send a message via MSN to TheRealHotshot Send a message via Yahoo to TheRealHotshot Send a message via Skype™ to TheRealHotshot
Re: Windows Mobile 6.5 confirmed

I would love to see windows 6.5 on the touch pro 1st Q of 2009 that would be great!

*formerly known as Not_A_Stain*

GOOGLE WAVE USER
Old 11-07-2008, 04:30 PM
Lurker

StakeX is becoming a great contributor
Thumbs up Windows Mobile 6.5

Well, to keep us a little happier until WM7 (2010??!?), WM 6.5 is on the way. Supposed Zune integration is included with this along with some improved GUI, probably for more finger navigation than stylus.)

http://www.neowin.net/news/main/08/1...e-65-confirmed
Old 11-07-2008, 09:45 PM
Big MVP Diesel
Pocket PC: TOUCH PRO 2

BigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation level
Send a message via AIM to BigDiesel07 Send a message via Skype™ to BigDiesel07

I wonder if this will make it onto the HTC Mogul... In an official version, that is.
Old 11-07-2008, 11:06 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Tower is a n00b

Sadly I think,but I could be wrong,that the last update for the Mogul,was just that..the last update.Didnt Sprint put this phone on is discontinued list as far as rom updates??

Im sure someone will port it over soon after release but "officially" might be a stretch

But as I said..I may be wrong
Old 11-07-2008, 11:19 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Surround
Carrier: AT&T

Tiberius85 is keeping up the good workTiberius85 is keeping up the good work

According to an older WM 'roadmap,' WM7 was supposed to be an incremental update and WM8 was a total overhaul. What this could mean is 6.5 is the incremental update, and WM7 is the new total overhaul.

Perhaps Microsoft is trying to 'synchronize the 7s' so they release at about the same time.. Windows 7 and Mobile 7 that is.
Old 11-08-2008, 01:27 AM
I love root
Pocket PC: HTC Hero

dannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIP
Re: Windows Mobile 6.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by StakeX View Post
...Supposed Zune integration is included with this...
Fantastic! because so many of us have Zunes...
Lesson learned don't work on PPC while drinking.
Old 11-08-2008, 01:30 AM
Coz-erator
Pocket PC: Sprint Galaxy Note 2 & other misc digital devices

CozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to CozBoogie Send a message via Yahoo to CozBoogie

Threads merged.

late,
Coz

PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News > News Archives