PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Motorola Devices > Moto Droid

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2010, 11:25 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Moto Droid 2
Carrier: Verizon

tvandyck7 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartvandyck7 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartvandyck7 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Gorilla Glass DOES Scratch... But I Know How To Repair it.

I was cleaning my screen yesterday and I noticed 2 small, light scratches on my glass. I was pretty pissed about it because I am very careful with my phone. As a matter of fact, there isn't a single scratch anywhere else on it. As careful as I am with my Droid, I couldn't believe it was scratched. I used to paint cars, so I have several polishing compounds on hand. I decided, what the hell... I'll try a fine polish and see what happens. I have some *3M Perfect-It III-Trizact* machine glaze (n.051131-05930). It looks like this: http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...26tbs%3Disch:1
I applied a small amount to a microfiber cloth and polished the whole screen. Low and behold, the scratches were gone after just one application and about 10 seconds of polishing. I was amazed! It didn't even leave swirls in the glass. The main ingredients in the polish are aluminum oxide and aluminum silicate. The compound can be found at NAPA, but it is rather expensive. I think I paid $60 for a quart of it (looks like it's cheaper online from somewhere else, like $39). It is intended for professional detailers for buffing/polishing/finishing painted surfaces, but I use it for several things. If you have a nice vehicle and have some surface scratches, this stuff is the $hit. So it's worth the high price tag. I even polished the scratches out of my watch crystal!

Last edited by tvandyck7; 03-19-2010 at 04:54 PM.
This post has been thanked 6 times.
Old 03-19-2010, 12:46 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

tvandyck7 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartvandyck7 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartvandyck7 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Re: Gorilla Glass DOES Scratch... But I Know How To Repair it.

After reading up on Gorilla Glass, I learned that it is composed of alkali-aluminosilicate. So no wonder the machine glaze that I used works so well for taking scratches out. I was practically polishing it with a material of the same or very similar composition of AL silicate. Keep in mind that this is a "glaze and is very very fine (can't feel any grit)". If you use a more coarse compound, it will definitely swirl your glass if the abrasive is strong enough to cut.

Last edited by tvandyck7; 03-19-2010 at 01:41 PM.
Old 03-19-2010, 01:56 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Moto Droid

91ludesit is keeping up the good work91ludesit is keeping up the good work

Why not use a screen protector to prevent scratches in the first place? That's what I've done since day one.
Old 03-19-2010, 02:00 PM
SIR Flash-a-lot
Pocket PC: Hero
Carrier: Sprint

KBZL is halfway to VIP status based on repKBZL is halfway to VIP status based on repKBZL is halfway to VIP status based on repKBZL is halfway to VIP status based on repKBZL is halfway to VIP status based on repKBZL is halfway to VIP status based on repKBZL is halfway to VIP status based on repKBZL is halfway to VIP status based on repKBZL is halfway to VIP status based on repKBZL is halfway to VIP status based on repKBZL is halfway to VIP status based on rep

My $.02. I dont use a screen protector because if you dont do it perfect, you get bubbles. It creates glare or a strange rainbow effect. Makes the screen grippy. Every single screen protector I have ever used, always ends up snagging on my clothes and ends up ruining it so then I have to do the process over again. Not to mention you can see it.

OP, thanks for the tip. Ill remember that if I ever get a scratch.

Thats how sweet the signal is in my office!!
Old 03-19-2010, 04:13 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91ludesit View Post
Why not use a screen protector to prevent scratches in the first place? That's what I've done since day one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbussen View Post
My $.02. I dont use a screen protector because if you dont do it perfect, you get bubbles. It creates glare or a strange rainbow effect. Makes the screen grippy. Every single screen protector I have ever used, always ends up snagging on my clothes and ends up ruining it so then I have to do the process over again. Not to mention you can see it.

OP, thanks for the tip. Ill remember that if I ever get a scratch.
I usually have a Zagg protector on it, but like kbussen said, it's grippy and doesn't look as good. Plus I was under the intention that Gorilla Glass was pretty much scratch-proof until I found out otherwise. Since I've been running my Droid screen naked lately, I have become spoiled and don't really like screen protectors anymore. I hate the normal plastic screen protectors because they scratch very easily and look bad after a short time.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:35 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: touch pro, tp2, epic, evo x2
Carrier: D/\SH_SPEED

D/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvandyck7 View Post
I usually have a Zagg protector on it, but like kbussen said, it's grippy and doesn't look as good. Plus I was under the intention that Gorilla Glass was pretty much scratch-proof until I found out otherwise. Since I've been running my Droid screen naked lately, I have become spoiled and don't really like screen protectors anymore. I hate the normal plastic screen protectors because they scratch very easily and look bad after a short time.
i sported my 700wx, mogul, touch, diamond, touch pro, and touch pro 2 on top of others without a screen protector until very late in the tp days... zaggs too me for screen protectors and battery cover protectors are the best. the grippiness of the screen doesnt stay for long and after 6 months even there still on there with no corners peeling what-so-ever.. the extra grip from the shield on theback is nice for when texting or talking on the phone so you dont have to close your hand as much to make sure you dont drop it... i liek the look without better dont get me wrong but if your looking to protect they are liek the trojan of the screen protector world.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:58 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Droid

ambridge78 is a n00b

I just got my Droid a few days ago and the screen is scratched. I came across the this message board while looking for an soulation. And now I have a question. The product that you used 3m 05930 has been replaced. It's replacement is 3m 06070. I have included a link to the product below. I want to know if you thought that the replacement product would work just as well as the original that you suggested.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...26tbs%3Disch:1[PHP][/PH
Old 04-28-2010, 07:04 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambridge78 View Post
I just got my Droid a few days ago and the screen is scratched. I came across the this message board while looking for an soulation. And now I have a question. The product that you used 3m 05930 has been replaced. It's replacement is 3m 06070. I have included a link to the product below. I want to know if you thought that the replacement product would work just as well as the original that you suggested.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...26tbs%3Disch:1[PHP][/PH
It should be the same product, as long as it is a glaze and not a rubbing/cutting compound. If it was replaced, it should serve the same purpose and be similar in qualities. Just remember, this will get light scratches out well (one's you can't feel with your nail), if you try to get a deep one out, I would imagine it would distort the glass. Good luck.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:08 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Droid

ambridge78 is a n00b

Thanks for the quick response. It is just a light scratch on the screen.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:28 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Dell
Carrier: AT&T

Googashlak is a n00b

Hi. Sorry to bring up an old thread but I was wondering if something like this would work on the Samsung Captivate. Thanks.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Motorola Devices > Moto Droid