PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Motorola Devices > Moto Droid
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2009, 12:55 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Moto Droid 2
Carrier: Verizon

tvandyck7 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartvandyck7 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartvandyck7 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Physical Keyboard

Just curious... Does everyone's physical keyboard look a bit uneven or wavy between the rows of keys? Mine isn't bad and doesn't affect the functionality at all, but I'm being picky. I don't really remember if it was like out of the box or not.
The keys look kind of concave and the top row and bottom row sit a bit higher than the middle rows. I rarely use the KB so I haven't really paid much attention to it. I saw a post on another forum where someone's keys actually started getting ripped off from hanging on the screen when opened. Mine isn't even close to being like that. My KB actually looks perfect until I look at it in the bright sunlight or a bright light (which will pronounce the slightest of anything), then it looks a bit uneven. Are all of the keys made together or are they separate pieces? Like I said before, I'm just curious how other Droid KB's compare to mine as I'm still well within my 30 days.
Old 12-24-2009, 01:43 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Motorola Droid

Novah is a n00b
Re: Physical Keyboard

Mine is wavy, and since I've had it replaced once (for stuck pixels), I can attest that my first one was as well. As for the keys getting ripped off, if we are thinking about the same person, it was because they affixed the rubbery case front backwards ...only one side of the case front has a tab on it (to hold the case on), and it's supposed to face away from the keyboard. They'd affixed the tab on the side that slid out over the keyboard and it was catching on keys. I'm pretty sure the waviness is inherent to the Droid. (: No idea how the keys are constructed, though.

Last edited by Novah; 12-24-2009 at 01:47 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 12-24-2009, 02:13 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

tvandyck7 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartvandyck7 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartvandyck7 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novah View Post
As for the keys getting ripped off, if we are thinking about the same person, it was because they affixed the rubbery case front backwards ...only one side of the case front has a tab on it (to hold the case on), and it's supposed to face away from the keyboard. They'd affixed the tab on the side that slid out over the keyboard and it was catching on keys. I'm pretty sure the waviness is inherent to the Droid. (: No idea how the keys are constructed, though.
HAHA. I can see how that could happen. I'm using a snap on case as well and top screen edge guard can be installed either way because of the symmetry it. The only way I can tell it is on correctly is by the small indent the leave above the ear piece (and common sense-LOL).
Well that makes me feel better that it is just a quality of the Droid and not unique to mine. It doesn't bother me at all, I just wasn't sure if it was a progressive thing or not.
Old 12-24-2009, 02:17 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Oh... and Novah, WELCOME TO THE GEEK SOCIETY!!! I gave your 1st thanks (reputation) for the help.
Old 12-24-2009, 02:58 PM
Lurker

Novah is a n00b

Thank you so much! (: Glad to have a reason to emerge from lurkerdom.

I must say, I've had plenty of my own concerns about the physical keyboard (including the fact that the space bar seems to wobble some from side to side), but mostly, I just wonder if the amount I use it will rub away at the letters, or at least the secondary letter markings...no idea how those keys will react to wear! I suppose once Swype is available in the Market, I won't be worrying about the physical keyboard much anymore
Old 12-24-2009, 03:11 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: WM Omnia & Moto Droid
Carrier: VZW

Hoss is becoming a great contributor

The keyboard does appear slightly wavey, more like an accordian effect with the horizontal rows alternating from up to down to up, etc. Doesn't bother me much and have wondered if this will loosen over time or stay as-is. I too worry about the lettering and whether it will remain forever but I have not seen any sign of wear after several weeks of use so no concerns to report yet.
Old 12-24-2009, 03:16 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Yeah. I don't use it enough to wear it out, but I definitely don't want it to fall apart on me. It's nice to have when I need to copy and paste or need to see the full screen while typing. I've never tried Swype but I heard good things about it. Maybe someone will bring it over to android.
Old 12-24-2009, 03:22 PM
Lurker

Novah is a n00b

It's on its way! http://www.androidcentral.com/early-...-swype-android

I can't stand the portrait keyboard, and I like seeing the full page when I type, so I tend to gravitate towards the physical keyboard, even though it gives my thumbs quite a workout in comparison to, say, my brother's ENV Touch's keyboard - Swype will be a godsend
Old 12-24-2009, 03:39 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Wow. That does look handy. I'd use it, especially since it will also work like normal. Too bad they are testing it on the Eris. It would be nice to have a beta version for the MotoDroid.
Old 12-24-2009, 04:02 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Has anyone tried ShapeWriter? It's the same thing as Swype. There is a trial version and the full version is $6.99. I'm going to DL the trial now. I might give it a try and see if it is worth $7.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Motorola Devices > Moto Droid