PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2009, 11:27 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch
Carrier: T-Mobile

Touch-ee is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
GPS issues

So I installed Google Maps and it gives me my location but it is always kid of off from where I really am. Sometimes by just a block, other times by half a mile. Is this because it is getting my location from cell towers and not GPS? It will say searching for GPS satellites and always shows 0.

In addition I tried a few other GPS programs like SportyPal and it will say configuring GPS and just hang. It never is able to find GPS and open.

When I talked to Tmobile they said they never charge for GPS on any phones so I don’t think this is an issue of having to pay for some service.

And I know I have a GSM Touch and this site is CDMA but that other site you guys gave me is not very much help. It looks like posts sit on it for day’s even weeks any only get 1 or no responses.

Any help would be great.

Thanks
Old 08-30-2009, 02:03 PM
Suuuper Geeenius
Pocket PC: hTc RhodiumW (Touch Pro2)
Carrier: Sprint

horndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to horndoctor
Re: GPS issues

I have said this before and it really does seem to help with gettig locks. Download CleanRam. Whenever I am going to use an app that is going to use gps I run CleanRam before I open the gps app and this seems to help me get a lock quickly. If I am having trouble getting a lock then I will exit the app and run CleanRam then go back into the gps app and I usually get a lock right away. I don't know if this will help your accuracy issue. I think the accuracy of your location info is probably due to an issue with your carrier and not your device. I don't know if this can be changed unless you are able to get a stronger signal from your carrier. Maybe upgrading your radio version would help. If you are getting a strong signal (3 or more bars) I would say this may not change.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:03 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

Touch-ee is a n00b

^^^

Thanks that CleanRam helped.

Can you guys recommend the best free GPS programs? And if I do pay for one which is the best? TomTom etc?

Thanks
Old 08-30-2009, 10:06 PM
Suuuper Geeenius

horndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the community

I like bing and Google Maps for free.Telenav or TomTom paid.
Old 09-02-2009, 04:45 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

Touch-ee is a n00b

Is there any free GPS mapping software? Were you can turn on or start recording and then later see a map of where you went/ drove/ walked etc?
Old 09-02-2009, 05:26 PM
Suuuper Geeenius

You can do this with Google Maps. It has a setting for walking. There is also a free app called NoniGps that work pretty good. It can give you a satellite image as well. There are others available that do the same. Look on : www.pocketpcfreeware.mobi
Old 09-02-2009, 05:38 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

Touch-ee is a n00b

How do you do it in Google Maps? I see a "Walking" tab but it just has the start / end fields like when you are mapping directions....
Old 09-02-2009, 05:50 PM
Suuuper Geeenius

You have google maps find your location. Then name and save that location as your starting point. Then walk wherever you want to go and then when you want go back to your starting point you can get directions back to where you started.NoniGps will actually show your path. I don't know if Google Maps will do that.You might be interested in a GeoTagging App that will allow you to Tag certain points with names or pictures. I think an app called GpsToday does this. Look on that website I posted.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue