PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue

Notices

View Poll Results: Is This Guide Any Help
Yes, Thank You SOOO Much! 61 70.93%
Not Really, I Have Many Questions 9 10.47%
Kinda . . . 11 12.79%
Your Stupid For Doing This 5 5.81%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2009, 10:56 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC 6900
Carrier: Sprint

psykotik312 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularpsykotik312 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularpsykotik312 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularpsykotik312 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularpsykotik312 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Talking **UPDATED** Android On Vogue - n00b Guide (now with files)

How To Use Android On Your Vogue

FAQ

• Android will NOT replace your ROM so you do not have to worry about bricking your phone.
  • ABOVE ALL ELSE!!! If you run into any problems, simply soft reset your phone (stick your stylus in the little hole at the bottom). You can reset at any time and it will not mess with your phone at all.
  • Having a Google or Gmail account will make things much easier once you get in to Android, but it is not required. But I do believe it is required to download apps from The Market.
  • Sync your contacts with Google if you can. I do not know if any other back-up or sync programs will work from normal ROM to Android
  • You must have a storage card with about 200 MB free.
  • Its better if your card is blank as Android may corrupt some files. The developers are working on this.
  • Android builds are like ROM's. Every chef has his own recipe so try one until you find the one you like.
  • Some builds have the buttons re-mapped, some don't. You will have to find one you like.
  • Most builds allow you to access the SD card, some don't.
  • Some builds have Landscape Mode. Some don't.
  • Your text messages will say they are not being sent, but they are. This is a known bug and the developer's are working on it.
  • Your camera/video may or may not work. Again this is being worked on. If you use your camera A LOT, then you probably don't want to plan on using Android long term until this is fixed. Apparently there is now a fix for camera in the Android Marketplace. Look for a app called fxcamera. (Thanks to fixxxer2008 for the find)

Files
You will need all of the following files to get Android up and running:
  1. initrd.gz (don't unpack or extract or rename this at all)
  2. rootfs.zip (extract this one)
  3. system.img
  4. haret.exe
  5. default.txt
  6. zImage
  7. resources.zip (extract this one)

These files can be found here: Google Vogue-Android Project

If this is your first time using Android I would highly recommend that you use one of the RAR packages that should contain everything you need. The link below is my current personal favorite, Zen's Hero Build - August 9. Some of the other RAR packages leave out a few small things but this one is a one-hit wonder that gives it all to you.

Now that you have all your files safely on your SD card, make sure that you have everything properly unzipped and that all files are on the root of the memory card. By the root, I mean make sure that none of your files are in folders (unless they unzipped to a folder). The simplest way to check this is that when you go to File Explorer, the files should show up as soon as you tap on Storage Card.

Now that you have all the files in place you should be almost ready to launch Android. Before you start make sure all other programs are closed on your usual ROM. Some Android builds use a lot more system resources than others and anything left running "underneath" Android will only slow your performance. Also make sure you are not going to have any important text or phone calls in the next 10-30 minutes. Your phone will work fine with Android but it will take a few minutes to get it up and running.

Ok now lets launch Android! Go to Start>File Explorer>Storage Card and click on haret.exe. This should bring up another screen with a bunch of crap on it. All you have to do is tap Run that is in the upper right hand corner. You should see a black screen with Linux Penguin and a LOT of code. If your screen goes blank or flashes white, then you will need a different default.txt file. Just soft reset your phone and get a different default file from the link listed above. My Sprint Vogue works only with Default.txt-1 but it may vary for other carriers/brands.

If you've made it this far then you shouldn't have many more problems. Just remember that the very first time you boot in to Android (or if your trying a new build), it WILL take from 3 up to 10 minutes to get everything loaded. SO DON'T PANIC. The only problem I've encountered at this stage is the phone getting stuck in a loop and you will see some sort of error message repeat with the numbers going up every few seconds. I do not know what causes this so if you get this just reset your phone and try a different build for now. And yes it will take a while once it gets to the "HTC" screen. As long as it doesn't keep going back to the "Hero" screen, you are OK.

Once Android has finished booting you should see your phone locked. Slide down on the screen and it will probably say something like "process not responding". Again don't panic lol. Just tap the wait button and it should finish booting. The first thing that should come up is the option to sign in to your Google (or Gmail) account. Like I said earlier, this is not required but will make things much easier. Once you open the keyboard for the first time, immediately go to the little gear icon in the bottom left corner. I prefer to use a phone keypad for my keyboard but choose whichever you like. Next you need to calibrate your screen. Type the phrase shown. NOTE: The "Q" and "A" buttons will be a little off to the right of where they appear. I don't know why. Once your done, finish signing in to Google and you should have be good to go from here.

NOTE: To sync your phone with your PC while in Android, you will need the following file: ADB.ZIP.I don't know if it works because I haven't had to use it. Post below if you are successful/unsuccessful.

NOTE: If you use the build listed above, make sure you map your "End" button to return you to the Home Screen. In the Menu, simply go to Spare Parts>End Button Behavior>Go To Home. The other buttons are mapped as follows: Volume=Volume, Camera=Back, Power=Menu, Green=Phone, D-Pad=Scrolls, Square=Enter

A few of the apps I would suggest:
  • Task Killa - Nice little task manager that will keep you from overloading your phone.
  • Twitta - Excellent Twitter app
  • Android is all about customization so find what YOU like and what YOU need.

All of these instructions are pulled from the project pages or from my own personal experience. I've spent the most time with Zen's Hero build listed above and have found it the easiest to use and install. Everyone's experience will vary so please don't get frustrated if it doesn't work the first time. This guide is meant for the Vogue-Android n00bs, just like I was 2 weeks ago, so we don't need snide remarks from the "elite" users. Please keep in mind that this is my first time ever writing a guide and I do appreciate all criticism and suggestions. As always, if I have helped you in any way, PLEASE hit the shiny little THANKS button down there--\/

Last edited by psykotik312; 12-01-2009 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Added files for package
This post has been thanked 57 times.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:51 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: TheUltimateDroid Blue Midnight X Theme. Slayer1.6
Carrier: Verizon

rossi636 is keeping up the good workrossi636 is keeping up the good work
Re: Android On Vogue - n00b Guide

Hello,

Anyone ever find a fix for the notification error in sending a text message? Thanks for your help.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:10 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

psykotik312 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularpsykotik312 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularpsykotik312 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularpsykotik312 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularpsykotik312 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossi636 View Post
Hello,

Anyone ever find a fix for the notification error in sending a text message? Thanks for your help.
Not yet as far as I know.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 08-17-2009, 02:35 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: MyTouch 3G
Carrier: T-Mobile

bmar08 is becoming a great contributor

being a fellow noob that has been testing here and there figuring out how to get the Android working on my Vogue this is a great guide. I wish it would have been around a few weeks ago but its all good. Well i do have a few questions you may be able to answer.
1. I had to copy the intrd.gz, rootfs.img,zImage files onto the main memory and the storage card to get it to upload from the Harat.exe...is this suppose to be that way?
2. I have the Harat file on the main memory in windows as an icon in the start menu, this shouldnt need to be changed with trying different versions of Android.
Just was curious, this thread is awesome though... thanks alot
Old 08-17-2009, 03:11 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmar08 View Post
being a fellow noob that has been testing here and there figuring out how to get the Android working on my Vogue this is a great guide. I wish it would have been around a few weeks ago but its all good. Well i do have a few questions you may be able to answer.
1. I had to copy the intrd.gz, rootfs.img,zImage files onto the main memory and the storage card to get it to upload from the Harat.exe...is this suppose to be that way?
2. I have the Harat file on the main memory in windows as an icon in the start menu, this shouldnt need to be changed with trying different versions of Android.
Just was curious, this thread is awesome though... thanks alot
I haven't had to do this but I haven't been able to get some of the builds to work on my phone. I may try this to see if it will get some to work.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:59 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Vogue (Touch)

cb526 is a n00b

This is EXACTLY what I needed, I think. I'll be trying this in the next week and am a clueless noob.

I have one question: does MMS (picture messaging, etc.) work from within this version of Android for Vogue? I sure hope so.

I'm excited to try this out.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:02 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb526 View Post
This is EXACTLY what I needed, I think. I'll be trying this in the next week and am a clueless noob.

I have one question: does MMS (picture messaging, etc.) work from within this version of Android for Vogue? I sure hope so.

Receiving picture messages does work but I don't know if the picture mail .cab from sprint will work. I haven't tried it but I will give it a go in a bit and let you know.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:05 PM
Suuuper Geeenius
Pocket PC: hTc RhodiumW (Touch Pro2)

horndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to horndoctor

Great Job Man!I haven't messed with Android yet but I may now that I read this.Thanks for taking the time to do this! More info is always great!
Old 08-17-2009, 11:17 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Palm Pre, Diamond, Vogue
Carrier: Bell Mobility

mixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb526 View Post

yes it does with the correct build.

Old 08-17-2009, 11:19 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Palm Pre, Diamond, Vogue
Carrier: Bell Mobility

mixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossi636 View Post
Hello,

this has been fixed in non-hero builds. I encourage everyone to mess around with android as it doesnt cause any issues with the current windows rom currently on the phone. It emulates android on top of the windows build.

the ion/cupcake builds are extremely fast, and i myself use them on a daily basis. EVERYTHING works on those builds.
This post has been thanked 4 times.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue

Tags
android, guide, hero, noob, vogue