PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2009, 05:18 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: xv6700/xv6900/BB Storm 2
Carrier: Verizon

leglace is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
GPS Software - Urban Horizon

Guys I have been using the trial version of Urban Horizon program. I have to say its pretty good since it does not require gigabytes of storage space like Garmin does. It uses a mix of storage and internet (if you choose to be connected). Why is this a great thing, its stable yet it constantly keeps the POI's up to date.

It has terrain features as well as stuctures. Its pretty nice looking and stable.

I have to say, I only have a small number of complaints. One is that it does not answer search queries by your gps location. It uses select regions that you can change. In addition the street names are flagged and not orientated with the road. Its ok, but just different.

The voice assistance does give you street names. However, it has an Irish/Scottish accent. Its good enough to understand, but at times I second guess. it. I can't seem to change it.

Lastly, the cost is $59.00 ANUALLY or about $8.00 a month. That is the only bad thing.

But all in all its a pretty darn solid GPS. I holstered my Vogue to a holder that attaches to the vents. It sets perfectly and is very legible. This is what I had to do since my Garmin Nuvi was stolen from my gym. At least I know my phone will always be with me.

Are there any alternatives than spending $60 annually?

I tried AmazeGPS, and it can not find diddly squat. I like to use Bing over Google, but then there is no auto rotate. I only have a 2 gb card at the moment and upgrading would be a pain. Thats why I couldn't install Garmin or Tom Tom.

Btw, GPS is working great on my Verizon since I put the Serf cab in it. Thanks a bunch. I was among those who let customization to run. But now everything is perfect.
Old 08-01-2009, 07:36 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Axim X51v, Tilt, 8525 VX6900, Imagio
Carrier: AT&T & Verizon

jadesse is becoming a great contributor
Re: GPS Software - Urban Horizon

I have TomTom & it cost me $100 Initially & it costs $50 to update the maps.

Why would upgrading your card be a pain? You can buy an 8G for about $20. All you would need to do is copy the files form your old card to the new one. I have done this before on my Axim & it works. Your phone will not know the difference. If you have programs installed to your storage card this still isn't an issue.

Since you have a data plan Google Maps & Windows Live would work too.
Old 08-02-2009, 05:31 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: xv6700/xv6900/BB Storm 2
Carrier: Verizon
Threadstarter

leglace is a n00b
Re: GPS Software - Urban Horizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadesse View Post
I have TomTom & it cost me $100 Initially & it costs $50 to update the maps.

Why would upgrading your card be a pain? You can buy an 8G for about $20. All you would need to do is copy the files form your old card to the new one. I have done this before on my Axim & it works. Your phone will not know the difference. If you have programs installed to your storage card this still isn't an issue.

Since you have a data plan Google Maps & Windows Live would work too.

I have always been concerned about swapping data from one card to another when it came to installed programs. Thanks for the confirmation.

From the costs you just cited, $100 for Tom Tom and $50 for updates, I might do well paying $59.00 a year for a program that auto updates every week or so. Its a terrific program. I just don't like paying more than $50 period for a program. I certainly did not want to consider VZ Nav either.

As you mentioned Bing (Live Search) and Google are good freebies. But it doesn't position you relative to your compass orientation. I can't spend that much time taking my eyes off the road.

I do know Google has an upgraded version that costs around $50, but I hear that doesn't rotate either. I wonder if Bing has one. I saw a GPS device using Bing. It looked pretty good. But I haven't heard of a winmo program. The voice recognition in Bing is excellent.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue