PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2009, 05:45 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Vogue
Carrier: Verizon

damaph is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Cannot get gps to work (Verizon)

So I updated my Verizon xv6900 to the latest official rom and let customizations run. (I know I shouldn't have)

In the device Info page this is what it says:
ROM version: 3.14.605.1
Radio Version: 3.37.78
PRL versio: 51250
PRI version: 2.03_002

After reading most of this page http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=59 Spetrillo said that he had got his GPS working with customizations so I followed what he did and I installed Valhalla Legends GPSServer.cab then installed GpsGate. I then installed Garmin Mobile and copied gpsapi.dll into the Garmin folder. I set the input for GpsGate to WM GPS and output to a Virtual COM8/All NMEA. GpsGate says it gets GPS data but no position. When i open Garmin Mobile it says it is searching for satellites but I went outside and it never got a signal.

So my question is: Does anyone know what the problem is and how I can get the internal GPS to work with the offical Verizon ROM that had cuztomizations run?
Old 03-04-2009, 06:36 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Imagio
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

spetrillo knows their stuffspetrillo knows their stuffspetrillo knows their stuffspetrillo knows their stuffspetrillo knows their stuffspetrillo knows their stuff
Re: Cannot get gps to work (Verizon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by damaph View Post
So I updated my Verizon xv6900 to the latest official rom and let customizations run. (I know I shouldn't have)

In the device Info page this is what it says:
ROM version: 3.14.605.1
Radio Version: 3.37.78
PRL versio: 51250
PRI version: 2.03_002

After reading most of this page http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=59 Spetrillo said that he had got his GPS working with customizations so I followed what he did and I installed Valhalla Legends GPSServer.cab then installed GpsGate. I then installed Garmin Mobile and copied gpsapi.dll into the Garmin folder. I set the input for GpsGate to WM GPS and output to a Virtual COM8/All NMEA. GpsGate says it gets GPS data but no position. When i open Garmin Mobile it says it is searching for satellites but I went outside and it never got a signal.

So my question is: Does anyone know what the problem is and how I can get the internal GPS to work with the offical Verizon ROM that had cuztomizations run?
I dont use Garmin so cannot comment on it. If it is COM based then GPSGate should work. I have found that not all software works entirely perfectly. I think there is another option when picking the virtual comm port. Dont pick NMEA, unless you know Garmin is a NMEA aware app.

A couple things you could try. Does Google Maps work with GPSGate and Valhalla? That is usually the first thing I do. Its easy and gets you in the game. Once you get that going then I would move onto Garmin.

I would be happy to assist. You can reach me at spetrillo@mail2web.com. BTW I am spetrillo that you referred to.

Steve
Old 03-04-2009, 08:48 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

damaph is a n00b

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm not using Google Maps because I do not have a data connection. Sorry, forgot to mention this.

I just got it to connect with some sattelites, but in Garmin Mobile, it keeps giving me random positions. I thought gpsapi.dll was supposed to fix this.

Last edited by damaph; 03-04-2009 at 09:07 PM.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:26 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

damaph is a n00b

Ok, I figured it out. Garmin Mobile was not detecting the GPS through GpsGate but it was connecting to it directly through COM 4. So what i did wat deactivate COM 4 in GpsGate and then created a virtual COM 4 with GpsGate. Now everything works well.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:51 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Imagio
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

spetrillo knows their stuffspetrillo knows their stuffspetrillo knows their stuffspetrillo knows their stuffspetrillo knows their stuffspetrillo knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by damaph View Post
Ok, I figured it out. Garmin Mobile was not detecting the GPS through GpsGate but it was connecting to it directly through COM 4. So what i did wat deactivate COM 4 in GpsGate and then created a virtual COM 4 with GpsGate. Now everything works well.
Way to go! So Garmin works fine without a data plan?
Old 03-05-2009, 03:39 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: XV6900

stevens is just getting started

Hi Damaph and Spetrillo,

I'm also interested in knowing if the XV6900 built-in GPS works without data connection. Looks like you did it. How did you make it happen?

I'm using the new Verizon official ROM with costomization. Google Maps and Live Search work well with Valhalla. And I can also get iGuidance 3.0 working with the help of GpsGate. But if I disable the data connection the built-in GPS just cannot be cold started. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-06-2009, 04:25 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

damaph is a n00b

Yes Garmin Mobile works without a data connection, but to get a lock, it takes like 5-10 min which is not very practical. I assume this is because it cannot download data for aGPS. Is there any way to speed up the lock without a data connection?

Last edited by damaph; 03-06-2009 at 04:28 PM.
Old 03-08-2009, 05:46 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Axim X51v, Tilt, 8525 VX6900, Imagio
Carrier: AT&T & Verizon

jadesse is becoming a great contributor

Letting the customization run with the Verizon ROM in effect locks the GPS function from what I have read. I have read just about every post on here, xda-developers.com, & ppchaven.com regarding the GPS issue. There has been mixed results across the board. I can only contribute what I have personally done.

I have only had my vogue for about a month. I bought it brand new off of ebay & it was load with WM6. When I set the phone up for the first time I did not let the customizations run. Prior experience with AT&T told me not to because of all the bloatware AT&T had.

I then unlocked it with 2.31 & flashed the leaked Verizon Rom I used the HTC GPS viewer & was able to get a lock. I wasn't working perfect. I then tried flashing the Offical Verizon ROM with about the same results. The main problem was that I couldn't get TomTom to work. I would have to soft reset my phone every time I wanted to use the GPS.

I did finally get TomTom to work with this. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=363464 but would still have to soft reset.

I finally flashed NFSFAN's ROM & my GPS works perfect. This is also without using any hacks or fixes.

I would try flashing to Sprint ROM then back to the Verizon ROM & not let the customizations run.
Old 05-06-2009, 02:22 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: XV6800

flipzkid is a n00b
Send a message via Yahoo to flipzkid
Unhappy Re: Cannot get gps to work (Verizon)

Hi, new member who really needs help. I've read some of the post and I don't understand how some of you got it to work. I have Verizon ROM and let customizations run and also installed Valhalla but cannot get GPS to work to no avail. Any suggestions? Is there anything else I haven't installed to get it to work?
Old 05-06-2009, 10:55 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

user60396561 is just getting started

Damaph,
What are your exact settings in GPS Gate? I've been trying to get it to work with Garmin but haven't had luck. I'm using
-Verizon, no data plan
-official Verizon Windows Mobile 6.1 update with Radio 3.37.78, Rom 3.14.605.1, and customization
-Valhalla Legends GPSServer and changed HKLM\Software\Valhalla Legends\GPSServer\Mode=0
-GPS Toggle
-GPS Gate 2.6.1, input "WM GPS", output "Virtual COM2 / (All NMEA) NMEA Filter"
-iGuidance v4.0

Flipkidz,
this thread is for people without a data plan: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread...688#post887807
People with a data plan can also use it but I think there's some slight tweaks that you can make to get a signal even faster if you have a data plan.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue