PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2008, 12:20 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch
Carrier: Sprint

mikeinstlouis is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Activesync won't recoginze Touch

Hello all
I was given an older Dell Laptop running XP and I am trying to install activesync and get it to recognize my phone. The activesync installed fine, but when I put in the phone...nothing...the phone is charging, but it says it can't install the hardware. I thought I messed up by installing the activesync with the phone plugged in. I uninstalled active sync twice, and the same thing. Basic problem is that I have activesync installed, plug in the phone, it charges, but activesync does not recoginzed the device...no partnerships. My major goal is to use PDANET to use my phone as a modem for my laptop to read email and stuff, but I tought I would need activesyn for that. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
Mikeinstlouis.
Old 09-13-2008, 12:54 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Galaxy Note II
Carrier: Verizon

Geekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via MSN to Geekcop
Re: Activesync won't recoginze Touch

If you're willing to do a hard reset on you device, I would suggest un-installing AS from your laptop, hard resetting your device, reconnecting your device, and reinstalling AS. I had a similar issue w/ my 700WX syncing to my Vista based laptop through WMDC. What solved it for me was flashing a custom ROM to my Treo. Has worked like a charm since then.

Old 09-13-2008, 12:58 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: htc touch
Carrier: sprint

ny152 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularny152 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularny152 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

I would remove/reinstall active sync (make sure you have the latest version; you can d/l it free from Microsoft) if you're determined to use actice sync..... otherwise I'd try either a usb or bluetooth connection between your laptop and phone. Bluetooth works great for me.
Old 09-13-2008, 02:00 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

mikeinstlouis is a n00b

my device works fine on my desktop and hard reset is not an option. thanks
Old 09-13-2008, 02:01 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

detroit_doug is halfway to VIP status based on repdetroit_doug is halfway to VIP status based on repdetroit_doug is halfway to VIP status based on repdetroit_doug is halfway to VIP status based on repdetroit_doug is halfway to VIP status based on repdetroit_doug is halfway to VIP status based on repdetroit_doug is halfway to VIP status based on repdetroit_doug is halfway to VIP status based on repdetroit_doug is halfway to VIP status based on repdetroit_doug is halfway to VIP status based on rep

have had similar issues with the VOGUE phone as well at times with XP and Vista even when I had a partnership established and then reconnected and it would not sync, would power but come up with a message about "unable to install drivers" or recharge but not see the device

Quick fix #1 is a reboot to make sure the rapi services for Activesync actually start and not just sit there with a started state within the services panel but are not actually running - just reboot, wait until the desktop and all startup items you have are running then reconnect the phone and see what happens

Quick fix #2 is to connect the cable/cradle to another USB post - wait to see if it connects or fails, if it connects your good, if it fails and reports the failure, unplug and put back into original USB port and see what happens

Hope it helps

Detroit Doug

Old 09-13-2008, 09:10 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch (Verizon XV6900)

denasqu is keeping up the good workdenasqu is keeping up the good work
Send a message via MSN to denasqu

If you connected the Touch to the computer before installing Activesync then the Dell probably didn't recognize it as a "syncable" device.

Plug in your Touch. Go into Device Manager (start/run/devmgmt.msc) and check for yellow question marks or portable devices. Right-click, uninstall. Then unplug and plug-in your Touch and see if it's recognized properly.

If you don't have any yellow question marks in device manager. Get a USB mouse and plug it in. Uninstall USB Root Hubs from Device Manager one at a time then right-click and "Scan for Hardware Changes" to re-install the hub. When your mouse quits, move it to a different USB port and scan for hardware changes. When you've reinstalled them all, plug the Touch back in.
Old 09-14-2008, 09:20 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

mikeinstlouis is a n00b

I did that..unistalled the yellow question mark that said windows mobile device 3. I then unplugged, and plugged it back in and it said unrecognized something or other. Then it recognized it as windows mobile device 4 with an explanation point. The found new hardware stuff came up, but I did not go thirough the windows prompts since that did not work for me before. 'When it says FOUND NEW HARDWARE, should I be doing something? Windows at least knows it is a mobile device, but I still have the yellow circle with the explanation point in it. That is where I am now. Thanks
Old 09-14-2008, 09:44 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

mikeinstlouis is a n00b

One more thing...I tried to uninstall and reinstall activesyn. Everytime I do, it says NO DEFAULT EMAIL CLIENT....AND SOMETHING ABOUT OUTLOOK. I get that error message every time. May that have anything to do with it??

Thanks
Old 09-14-2008, 09:54 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

mikeinstlouis is a n00b

Sorry everyone...ONE MORE THING. I uninstalled and reinstalled everything. The FOUND NEW HARDWARE wizard pops up and I went ahead and tried to do it again. The error I get is...

the driver installation file for this device is missing a necessary entry. this may because the INF was written for windows 95 or later....when it tries to install drivers for the "new device". Does this help?
Old 09-14-2008, 10:50 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch (Verizon XV6900)

denasqu is keeping up the good workdenasqu is keeping up the good work
Send a message via MSN to denasqu

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinstlouis View Post
Sorry everyone...ONE MORE THING. I uninstalled and reinstalled everything. The FOUND NEW HARDWARE wizard pops up and I went ahead and tried to do it again. The error I get is...

the driver installation file for this device is missing a necessary entry. this may because the INF was written for windows 95 or later....when it tries to install drivers for the "new device". Does this help?
Sounds to me like your Dell Windows install is messed up. Open a command prompt and type sfc then hit enter.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue