PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2008, 09:36 AM
SuperNoob
Pocket PC: iPhone 5s
Carrier: TMobile

rstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
How to Ideas Needed

After my latest creation, Carrier Kitchens & Roms, I realized that I have basically created a cave-mans copy of the current PPCKitchen.org's BuildOS.

Ok, this sounds weird, but this weekend I'm going to switch and give the ppckitchen.org's kitchen a try. Yep, I'm switching to the new tools....

I still plan on releasing rom bases, and as always, I'll release the modified components as well so you can duplicate my finds.

What I am looking for, are ideas for tutorials. I'm sure some of you have read some of my lovely tutorials and benefited from them. I'm getting ready to tear into buildos and break it down. I want to help expose all the advanced techniques for some flipped out roms without you having to download someone elses. Of course there are always noobs, so there will always be roms posted for download.

I need idea's that pertain to...

"HOW DO I DO THAT WITH THE PPCKitchen.org's BuildOS?"

Submit your ideas and I will write up a how to so that you all can benefit 110% from the kitchen! (If it's cool enough!)

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Edit:

Great ideas so far:

Tutorials:
1. Managing Today Items
2. OEM Creation Tutorial
how to use OEMizer to customize a rom?

General how to thread. 2nd post will contain links to usefull tidbits within thread so you don't have to read 1000 posts...
1. Archiving your USER_OEM folder to save HDD Space
2. Pre-Made Rom Templates, Pre-skinned...

Last edited by rstoyguy; 09-10-2008 at 05:37 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-10-2008, 01:46 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

roopull is becoming a great contributor
Re: How to Ideas Needed

Hey, nice idea...

I'm not sure if this is the kind of thing you're looking for, but I've mentioned before that the biggest problem (for me) with the kitchen is that there is little or no info on the *some* apps available in the kitchen. There's even less info on how to use them. For me, it makes the kitchen frustrating & crippled.
Old 09-10-2008, 01:54 PM
SuperNoob
Threadstarter

rstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation level

Most of them have links to the authors website you can click to, or google em. Your wanting software reviews, I'm a novice in that department...

One of them I have in mind is an actual OEM that will rearrange the stock Start Menu, things like that. I'm still brainstorming...
Old 09-10-2008, 02:00 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

roopull is becoming a great contributor

Yeah... I've gone that route - software's home page & Google. Still, some of 'em stump me.
Old 09-10-2008, 02:25 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Touch PRO + Palm PRE + Diamond

gearjunkeez knows their stuffgearjunkeez knows their stuffgearjunkeez knows their stuffgearjunkeez knows their stuffgearjunkeez knows their stuffgearjunkeez knows their stuff

How about a tutorial on how to make the Today screen arranged exactly how you want it? Is that possible? To have the order of the plug-ins pre set and pre-configured...?

[
Old 09-10-2008, 02:27 PM
SuperNoob
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearjunkeez View Post
How about a tutorial on how to make the Today screen arranged exactly how you want it? Is that possible? To have the order of the plug-ins pre set and pre-configured...?
Now we're talking! I've already got an OEM for that I use, I'll add that to the list. I was in chat the other day and this seems to confuse a lot of users....
Old 09-10-2008, 03:00 PM
b00nsquad
Pocket PC: Touch PRO 2
Carrier: Sprint SERO

boggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIP

I wonder if you wouldn't get a good response by putting together a beginners tutorial on how to use OEMizer to customize a rom?

... an extension of the provxml and rgu threads where you demonstrate how folks can put together their provxml or rgu tweaks and then add them to OEMizer.

Other than that, what came to mind for me has already been mentioned.

Start Menu organization
Today Screen organization
Internet Shortcut additions
PPCGeeks, XDA & PPCKitchen passwords in Internet Explorer

Best regards,
-boggsie
Old 09-10-2008, 03:09 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond
Carrier: Alltel

OhioState87 is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via AIM to OhioState87 Send a message via MSN to OhioState87

Well, for me, I took a look at BuildOS for the first time last night, and though I think I figured out most basic stuff by using common sense, I still don't completely understand everything, like what to put in what folders in the PPCKitchen root directory, and say if I want this game, or that app, where and what do I put in what folder so that it shows up in the kitchen when I'm checkmarking which things I want in the ROM.
Old 09-10-2008, 05:24 PM
Deep Thinker
Pocket PC: Tin Can
Carrier: Atomic Vibration

gguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Now you're talking!

There are basically 3 areas that people ask about when using ppckitchen:
1) how to make a kitchen.
Obviously an advanced topic, think you've pretty much covered that already, unless you want to add the bells and whistles of fancy insertion into ppckintchen. You might want to cover what it takes to make a dogguy base useable in ppckitchen - but that won't take you long I hope.

2) How to make a stock rom and/or one that looks like so-and-so's.
Stock is pretty straightforward...and kinda pointless. So-amd-so's is really all about themeing, ui setup, and advanced topics like pimped icons. Personally, I'd like to see a writeup on how to make your own Theme OEM where all those elements are brought together in a nice checkable OEM.

3) I've got a xxxxx. How do I get buildos to work with it? Mayby some hints for .nbf, .nbh, and .nb0 devices. Descriptions of how to accomplish various tasks during the build process and what tools are available would also be nice.

4) can't you just give me some premade templates that make a halfway decent rom to use as a starting point?
Glad you asked - never understood why people release roms and not templates to use in the kitchen - it's counterproductive, when you get right down to it. We have a few templates, but no reason to not have more!
Old 09-10-2008, 05:34 PM
SuperNoob
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguruusa View Post
Now you're talking!

There are basically 3 areas that people ask about when using ppckitchen:
1) how to make a kitchen.
Obviously an advanced topic, think you've pretty much covered that already, unless you want to add the bells and whistles of fancy insertion into ppckintchen. You might want to cover what it takes to make a dogguy base useable in ppckitchen - but that won't take you long I hope.

2) How to make a stock rom and/or one that looks like so-and-so's.
Stock is pretty straightforward...and kinda pointless. So-amd-so's is really all about themeing, ui setup, and advanced topics like pimped icons. Personally, I'd like to see a writeup on how to make your own Theme OEM where all those elements are brought together in a nice checkable OEM.

3) I've got a xxxxx. How do I get buildos to work with it? Mayby some hints for .nbf, .nbh, and .nb0 devices. Descriptions of how to accomplish various tasks during the build process and what tools are available would also be nice.

4) can't you just give me some premade templates that make a halfway decent rom to use as a starting point?
Glad you asked - never understood why people release roms and not templates to use in the kitchen - it's counterproductive, when you get right down to it. We have a few templates, but no reason to not have more!
Templates...Now that's a good idea, Today Themes, I've already done, and here are the other tutorials I have done already. Accessable by clicking My Rom Tutorials in my sig...

Quote:
Originally Posted by me

Creating Today Theme OEM's for your Custom Rom - Tutorial
This tutorial will allow you to include a custom Today Theme in your customized rom. Again, written to help the aspiring Chef of tommorrow!
PPCKitchen.org BuildOS Friendly!

Tutorial: Adding Registry Entries to your Rom (RGU Method)
This Tutorial will allow you to include your registry entries into your rom. I wrote this for the aspiring Chef of tomorrow! After all, Subtle Tweaks make all the Difference!

Customizing Rom Sounds - Sound Themes Tutorial
Have you ever wanted to customize the Sound Theme in your ROM? This tutorial will show you how to customize the Sounds in your Custom Rom!

Customize your StartMenu for PPCKitchen.org's - BuildOS - Tutorial
Have you ever wanted to customize the Start Menu in your ROM? This tutorial will show you how to customize the StartMenu, even those pesky ones like Help, Internet Explorer, Phone, Contacts, and Calendar that show up when you tap on the Start Menu!

Customizing Your Rom: Adding Personal Files & Other Stuff
Do you have certain files that you must have with a new flash or hard reset? Ringtones, Office templates for work, or others? Ones you can't lose if you have the dreaded "Corrupt Storage Card" issue, then this tutorial will show you how to insert your files into your rom and copy them where you want them so you will always have them!
But yeah, some good input...Semi-complete ROM templates...Wasn't that my last project.... Now to do it for the other kitchen!

Last edited by rstoyguy; 09-10-2008 at 06:17 PM.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue