PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue > HTC Vogue Development

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2008, 01:27 AM
SuperNoob
Pocket PC: iPhone 5s
Carrier: TMobile

rstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Customizing Rom Sounds - Sound Themes Tutorial - PPCKitchen Friendly

Customizing Rom Sounds - Sound Themes Tutorial

About this tutorial:
-=-=-=- -=-=-=- -=-=-=- =-=-=- -=-=-=-
This tutorial will show you how to customize the Sound Theme for your rom. Whether you want a SouthPark, StarWars, Diamond theme, this is for you.
This will work for PPCKitchen.org's Kitchen, DogGuys Kitchen, DCD's Kitchen and most others. This tutorial is for Windows Mobile 6.xx.
This will let you set all the sounds in your rom that are available in Start Menu -> Settings -> Sounds and Notifications tab. I want to do my part to help both current chefs and new and upcoming chefs develop their talents, and their custom roms!

Additional Notes:
- A copy of this file is attached inside zzz_My_Sounds_OEM.
- In post #4 I have included additional information that may be helpfull immediately following this tutorial.

This tutorial ASSUMES you have working knowledge of cooking your own rom, and general Windows knowledge. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYTHING THAT HAPPENS TO YOU OR YOUR DEVICE by reading this tutorial! This tutorial should work with most windows-mobile based kitchens, Apache, Titan, Vogue and others. Feel free
to post your questions/comments.

Credits:
1. I would like to thank PPCGeeks.com and all the members.
2. All those that have contributed to developing and making all the kitchens possible! You all know who they (you) are!
3. Weedahoe, I borrowed his scripting information from his "The most COMPLETE compilation of hacks and teaks" thread.

Terminology used in this tutorial:
OEM - Similar to a .CAB file, this is the method used to add files/programs to a cooked Rom. This is copied to USER_OEM if using the ppckitchen, or into
your OEM folder if you are using another kitchen.
INITFLASHFILES.TXT - This is the text file you will edit to copy your files on your device from \windows to \whereever.
GUID - GUID (or UUID) is an acronym for 'Globally Unique Identifier'. It is a 128-bit integer number used to identify resources.
Scripts - Combination of commands WM6.x uses to determine how to handle select system sounds/alerts.

The Tools/Files you will need:
-=-=-=- -=-=-=- =-=-=- -=-=-=- -=-=-=-
- PPCKitchen.org BuildOS.msi fully installed and ready to go...
- ...or...Your favorite Kitchen.
- Notepad.exe (Text editor that comes with windows, or any other text editor)
- Old fashioned pen and paper or printer.

The steps involved:
This tutorial will allow you to customize the sounds on your device via your choice of rom kitchen. I will show you how to add files to the attached zzz_My_Sounds_OEM, edit the initflashfiles.txt file that will copy your files to where you want 'em, and then edit the registry settings in the *.rgu file to make them 'stick'.

1. Install the necessary files.
2. Plan your Sound Scheme.
3. Locate and Rename target sound files.
4. Edit your initfiles.txt from zzz_My_Sounds_OEM
5. Edit the *.rgu from zzz_My_Sounds_OEM
6. Build & Flash!
7. Test your sound placement, repeat if necessary!

And here is the zzz_My_Sounds_OEM that you will need...

Edit: Shortly after posting, I changed some values in the rgu file. @ to Default and forgot the quotes. Here is an updated OEM. 6/11 5:00pm...

Edit: zzz_My_Sounds_OEM2.zip is updated as of 7/7/08....
Attached Files
File Type: zip zzz_My_Sounds_OEM.zip (214.5 KB, 158 views) Click for barcode!
File Type: zip zzz_My_Sounds_OEM2.zip (214.5 KB, 190 views) Click for barcode!

Last edited by rstoyguy; 07-07-2008 at 08:27 AM.
This post has been thanked 6 times.
Old 06-11-2008, 01:28 AM
SuperNoob
Threadstarter

rstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation level
Re: Customing Sound Themes for Rom Chefs - Tutorial

1. Install the necessary files.
a. You should already have a kitchen installed. If not, bookmark this tutorial and return when you are ready.
b. Download the zzz_My_Sounds_OEM, unzip it and copy it to PPCKitchens USER_OEM folder, or to your Kitchens ..\OEM folder.
d. Old fashioned pen and paper or print the *.rgu file for planning your Sound Scheme.

Let's take a quick look inside the zzz_My_Sounds_OEM:
initflashfiles.txt - Moves your sounds where you want them.
*.rgu - Contains your registry edits for sounds.
*.mp3 - MP3 Sounds.
*.mm - MP3 Sounds. I'll explain the *.mm later...
*.wav - CHEF ADDED
*.mid - CHEF ADDED

Anything not listed above is necessary for the OEM to function in your kitchen. And we will not mess with those.

2. Plan your Sound Scheme
Now let's talk about the preparing and designing your sound scheme.
The absolute easiest way to do this is to:
a. Open the *.RGU file and print it. I have commented the entries well.
b. Locate your sound files you want for the different entries and notate it on the printout.

You may use your method, I did this originally by opening up CERegEditor and simply exported the \HKEY_Current_User\ControlPanel\Notification key and cut&pasted it into the *.rgu file. (After I had all my sounds set the way I wanted them.) You can also free up some space on your device by deleting the "System Ringers" as long as you have all your sounds/notifications covered!

3. Locate and Rename target sound files.
Now you have all your sound files located, copy them into the zzz_My_Sounds_OEM folder so that they will be cooked into your rom.

***Note: Any sounds already included in your rom DO NOT need to be copied here. Leave them alone to avoid duplicate files so your kitchen won't puke!

Rename? Yes, I rename my ringers and certain other files I want in the "\My Documents" folder. This is for compatability and other reasons. I rename my ringer "bennyhill.mp3" to "bennyhill.mm".

Why? All the files get cooked into "\Windows", so I rename certain files so it will only show up one time in my ringer. You could bypass the renaming and the below initflashfiles.txt thing if you want, your choice! Just be sure to get the correct directory settings in the *.rgu file registry settings.

4. Edit your initflashfiles.txt from zzz_My_Sounds_OEM
First let's take a look at the base INITFLASHFILES.TXT file we will be starting with:
Code:
Code:
;My initflashfiles.txt
;zzz_My_Sounds_OEM
Directory("\My Documents"):-File("BennyHill.mp3","\windows\000-BennyHill.mm")
Directory("\My Documents"):-File("txtmsgbos.mp3","\windows\txtmsgbos.mm")
As you see above, there is only one type of command we are interested in, the copy command:
Directory("destination_directory"):-File("destination_filename","source_path+filename" )

In the above example, the two entries copy your sound files from their cooked location in \windows to your \My Documents folder. In the example above I have moved two sound files that I usually place in that directory. Use the cut&paste method to "copy" your additional sound files into the \My Documents folder or leave them in \Windows. You may also use the comment line to either make notes to yourself, or to comment out a file copy operation.

Tip: To keep it simple I use the \Windows directory for notifications, and I only use the \My Documents folder for my Ringer and text notification sounds.

In post 4, I will elaborate on locations and sound types for the notifications.

Last edited by rstoyguy; 06-11-2008 at 04:06 PM.
This post has been thanked 4 times.
Old 06-11-2008, 01:34 AM
SuperNoob
Threadstarter

5. Edit the *.rgu from zzz_My_Sounds_OEM
This file contains the registry settings that will apply your sound settings. Let's take a look inside the *.rgu file.

Quote:
REGEDIT4

;<<<<<----- Ringer ----->>>>>
;================================================= ============
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\Sounds\RingTone0]
"Sound"="\\My Documents\\bennyhill.mp3"
"Script"="apw3r"

;<<<<<----- Notifications ----->>>>>
;================================================= ============
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\Notifications\{A877 D658-239C-47a7-9304-0D347F580408}]
"Default"="ActiveSync: Begin sync"
"Wave"="\\Windows\\ASConnect.mp3"
"Options"=dword:00000001
"Duration"=dword:00000000
"AvailableOptions"=dword:00000003

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\Notifications\{A877 D659-239C-47a7-9304-0D347F580408}]
"Default"="ActiveSync: End sync"
"Wave"="\\Windows\\ASDisconnect.mp3"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\Notifications\{F556 15D6-D29E-4db8-8C75-98125D1A7253}]
"Default"="Beam: Autoreceive"
"Wave"="\\Windows\\Loudest.wav"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\Notifications\{8ddf 46e8-56ed-4750-9e58-afc6ce486d03}]
"Default"="Connection disconnected"
"Wave"="Alarm1.wma"
"Options"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\Notifications\{8ddf 46e7-56ed-4750-9e58-afc6ce486d03}]
"Default"="Connection established"
"Wave"="Alarm1.wma"
"AvailableOptions"=dword:0000000B
"Options"=dword:00000008

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\Notifications\{A877 D660-239C-47a7-9304-0D347F580408}]
"Default"="Phone: Missed call"
"Wave"="\\Windows\\Alarm1.wma"
"Duration"=dword:0000000F

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\Notifications\{15F1 1F90-8A5F-454c-89FC-BA9B7AAB0CAD}]
"Default"="Reminders"
"Duration"=dword:0000000A

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\Notifications\{DDBD 3B44-80B0-4b24-9DC4-839FEA6E559E}]
"Default"="Wireless network detected"
"Wave"="\\Windows\\Default.wav"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\Notifications\{A877 D661-239C-47a7-9304-0D347F580408}]
"Default"="Phone: Voice mail"
"Duration"=dword:0000000F

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\Notifications\{A877 D65A-239C-47a7-9304-0D347F580408}]
"Default"="Messaging: New e-mail message"
"Wave"="\\Windows\\newemail.mp3"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\Notifications\{A877 D65B-239C-47a7-9304-0D347F580408}]
"Default"="Messaging: New text message"
"Wave"="\\My Documents\\txtmsgbos.mp3"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\Notifications\{A877 D663-239C-47a7-9304-0D347F580408}]
"Default"="Low Battery 10%"
"Wave"="\\windows\\lowbattery.mp3"
"Options"=dword:00000009

; Unknown sounds placed at end
;================================================= ==================================
; Unknown Sound
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\Notifications\{A877 D65D-239C-47a7-9304-0D347F580408}]
"Wave"="online.wma"
"Duration"=dword:00000003
"Options"=dword:0000000D

; Unknown Sound
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\Notifications\{B67B 425B-365E-42c0-95F7-B75503D775B8}]

; Unknown Sound
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\Notifications\{0D31 32C4-1298-469c-B2B8-F28CE2D649D0}]
"Wave"="Alarm1.wma"

; Unknown Sound
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\Notifications\{C346 5585-39EF-4c9b-B2A3-5558BF27BFB0}]

; Unknown Sound
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\Notifications\{E0F2 B9DD-EDC6-45d4-B440-2C5B5A04A3E3}]

;Misc Sounds Controlled by "Scripts"
;================================================= ================
;disable sounds when initiating & ending a call
;add a "p" to re-enable
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\Sounds\Dialing]
"Script"=""

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\Sounds\Ending]
"Script"=""

;disable vol up & down beeps during call
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\Sounds\LoudestInCal lVolume]
"Script"=""

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\Sounds\QuietestInCa llVolume]
"Script"=""

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\Sounds\StandardInCa llVolume]
"Script"=""

;Volume
;================================================= ================
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\Notifications\Shell Overrides]
"SavedVolume"=dword:FFFFFFFF
"SavedRingerVolume"=dword:FFFFFFFF
"Mode"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\Notifications\Defau lt]
"LedRefCount"=dword:00000000
"Wave"="\\Windows\\Alarm2.wav"
"Duration"=dword:00000005

My Notes on Notifications:
There are 3 main values in each of the notifications:
Default = the name of your sound as it appears in System -> Personal -> Sounds.
Wave = Then path and name of the sound. (notice double slashes!)
Options = Options for your sounds. They include Ring, Vibrate, Flash LED, and Display Message.

Here are the usual settings for "Options":
Options are set by toggling bits within the dword value;
0001 = ring...................1 decimal
0010 = vibrate................2 decimal
0100 = flash led..............4 decimal
1000 = display message........8 decimal

So in binary 0000-1111 would have your phone ring, vibrate, flash the led, and display a message. I have also included the decimal values as well for those not familiar with binary.

**NOTE: The registry settings in the rgu file are in HEXADECIMAL! Check Post #4 for possible combinations if you don't have a converter!

My Notes on Ringers:
There are two main values here:
Sound = Path and name of ringer
Script = How to handle the ringer. Default is "apw3r" which does the following three actions:
a = activate device
p = play ringtone
w3 = wait 3 seconds
r = repeat (See more about scripts in post #4)

My Notes on Misc Sounds:
These are sounds that are hard to find. These are controlled by scripts in windows. These only have one key that we are interested in:
Script = How to handle this sound. Usually set to ONLY "P".

These misc sounds include the following:

When you change the sound up or down while on a call;
HKCU\ControlPanel\Sounds\LoudestInCallVolume
Script="P"
HKCU\ControlPanel\Sounds\QuietestInCallVolume
Script="P"
HKCU\ControlPanel\Sounds\StandardInCallVolume
Script="P"

HKCU\ControlPanel\Sounds\CallWaiting
Script="pw3p"

When you press the <Send> button to start a call;
HKCU\ControlPanel\Sounds\Dialing
Script="P"

When you press the <End> button to end a call;
HKCU\ControlPanel\Sounds\Ending
Script="P"

6. Build & Flash!
Once you have everything in place, build your rom and flash it.

7. Test your sound placement, repeat if necessary!
Verify your sound settings. If you missed one, now is the time to fix it.

Last edited by rstoyguy; 06-23-2008 at 09:07 PM.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 06-11-2008, 01:35 AM
SuperNoob
Threadstarter

Additional support items for this tutorial:

Find your RingTones in this thread: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19

================================================== ===

Possible Hex values for Options:
Decimal : Hex Conversion
0 : 00
1 : 01
2 : 02
3 : 03
4 : 04
5 : 05
6 : 06
7 : 07
8 : 08
10 : 0A
11 : 0B
12 : 0C
13 : 0D
14 : 0E
15 : 0F

Here is the scoop on Scripts thanks to weedahoe! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedahoe
call performing 'activate device, play ringtone, wait 3 seconds, repeat':
HKCU\ControlPanel\Sounds\RingTone0\Script = "apw3r" (REG_SZ string, no quotes)

For performing 'active device, set volume to 33%, play ringtone, set volume to 67%, play ringtone, set volume to 100%, play ringtone (no repeat)':
HKCU\ControlPanel\Sounds\RingTone0\Script = "ac33pc67pc100p" (REG_SZ string, no quotes)

The following are the full codes available to you. Please note that all the codes are executed simultaneously except after a ringtone play / wait code. E.g.
'v1p' will vibrate and play at the same time, while vibrating for 1 second. But 'pv1' will play the ringtone through all the way first, then start vibrating
for 1 second.

a = activate device
cN = set volume to N in percentage max volume
fN = flash notification LED for N seconds
p = play ringtone. Note that this will play the ringtone all the way through before continuing with the next code.
r = repeat. Note that this should be the last code in your Script string, if used at all.
vN = vibrate for N seconds
wN = wait for N seconds. Note that the device will wait this long before continuing with the next code.

In-call volume change without sound
You can change the following values:

within each of these keys the default 'Script' value is 'p' for 'play'

Change the 'Script' value to blank (erase the 'p')

No more annoying beeps and the volume changes quicker! YAY

sound locations / and supported types Coming soon...

Last edited by rstoyguy; 06-11-2008 at 02:06 AM.
This post has been thanked 3 times.
Old 08-17-2008, 01:59 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch
Carrier: Sprint

cismo is a n00b
Re: Customizing Rom Sounds - Sound Themes Tutorial - PPCKitchen Friendly

Quote:
In-call volume change without sound
You can change the following values:

within each of these keys the default 'Script' value is 'p' for 'play'

Change the 'Script' value to blank (erase the 'p')
I tried that, but it still makes that annoying clicking sound.
Old 08-17-2008, 11:55 AM
SuperNoob
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cismo View Post
I tried that, but it still makes that annoying clicking sound.
These are only for the sounds while you are in a call. While changing the volume up/down with your slider..

And you want to use HKEY_CURRENT_USER not HKCU.
Old 08-19-2008, 03:10 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

cismo is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstoyguy View Post
These are only for the sounds while you are in a call. While changing the volume up/down with your slider..
how do you turn all of them off?
Quote:
And you want to use HKEY_CURRENT_USER not HKCU.
I'm not sure I understand. Aren't those the same?
Old 08-19-2008, 10:02 AM
SuperNoob
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cismo View Post
how do you turn all of them off?

I'm not sure I understand. Aren't those the same?
I can make a cab that will turn off those sounds later...

The difference between HKEY_CURRENT_USER and HKCU??? While they both point to the same place...

HKEY_CURRENT_USER: Is how it will appear on your device in most registry editors. This is also the name that you want to use when cabbing registry edits or when doing registry edits in a ROM as in inside the RGU file.

HKCU: This is often how it is typed to save time in the forums, and I believe this is the name you want to use when applying registry edits with XML like with UserCustomization or in provisioning files such as mxip files which is basically XML as well.
Old 08-25-2008, 03:01 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

cismo is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstoyguy View Post
I can make a cab that will turn off those sounds later...
that would be great. I also can't stand that dial tone.
I like my phone silent...except that tone when the other party has hung up is pretty useful, so that you don't keep talking for an hour if the person on the other end has hung up long time ago

Thank You
Old 09-01-2008, 08:45 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

cismo is a n00b

bump?
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue > HTC Vogue Development