PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2008, 06:07 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: touch pro
Carrier: sprint

pufftissue is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
At what point does one say "I need a real keyboard?"

Hi guys,

It's been a week with the HTC Touch and I think that I need a keyboard.

Here is what I've done so far:
1. Tried the standard HTC keyboard, Touchpal, and the HTC Diamond keyboard. While all have their merits and demerits, I just can't seem to get good at it. Predictive input, straight up no prediction, 2 letters to a button layout, full layout, nothing.
2. Read the Touchpal manual. I'm pretty sure that I'm using it correctly.
3. Tried to tell myself "Hey, it's never going to be as fast as a real keyboard, but I'm carrying around a tiny phone that is otherwise great in every respect that I need it to be (save wifi)."

My question:

1. Given my background (Treos for the last 4 years) + the fact that I will audaciously say that I am a darn fast thumb typer, am I just going to need to get a real keyboard or should I give ti more time with the software keyboards?
2. You should also know that my friend has a Mogul and turning it to the side everytime you want to fire off a message isn't a huge deal, but it is awkward to me b/c I feel like it's a full contact sport. I've got to use the d-pad to navigate with my left hand and then there are other buttons to learn; it almost seems excessive b/c I don't know if I should just touch the screen or use one of the 63 buttons to accomplish my task.
3. I also had access to an iPhone (I'll never buy one b/c I can't stand Apple's reality distortion field) and I absolutely could not get used to the keyboard. I had a friend who had an iphone, two of them actually, and we each typed a text message of like 130 characters--me on my treo 700wx and them two on their iphones. I finished in half the time it took both of them. They were not newbies either.
Old 05-20-2008, 06:15 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro baby!!
Carrier: Sprint (employee plan = 20 dollars) 3000 anytime minutes and unlimited everything else :-P

blue4shizzle knows their stuffblue4shizzle knows their stuffblue4shizzle knows their stuffblue4shizzle knows their stuffblue4shizzle knows their stuffblue4shizzle knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to blue4shizzle Send a message via Yahoo to blue4shizzle
Re: At what point does one say "I need a real keyboard?"

buddy, chillax lol. touchpal is by far the best keyboard out.. im coming from a motorola q, similiar style to a treo, and let me tell ya.. i text 3 times faster than i ever did..and dont give me none of that "you mus not text much" jazz because i average around 7 thousand texts a month and i have the bills to prove it.. touchpal is serious, especially the v2 build when you make it larger.. i think if you spend a little more time with the keyboards you will be fine.. trust me

samsung 640A --> motorola Q --> sprint touch --> now doin it big with the touch pro... oh so sexy lol
Old 05-20-2008, 06:22 PM
Livin' Dangerously
Pocket PC: Evo!/TOUCHPRO2/ ALSO TOUCH PRO
Carrier: PPCGEEKS SPRINT JUST HELPS ME CALL PEOPLE.

SBR_L3GION should be added to the payroll for their contributionsSBR_L3GION should be added to the payroll for their contributionsSBR_L3GION should be added to the payroll for their contributionsSBR_L3GION should be added to the payroll for their contributionsSBR_L3GION should be added to the payroll for their contributionsSBR_L3GION should be added to the payroll for their contributionsSBR_L3GION should be added to the payroll for their contributionsSBR_L3GION should be added to the payroll for their contributionsSBR_L3GION should be added to the payroll for their contributionsSBR_L3GION should be added to the payroll for their contributionsSBR_L3GION should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via MSN to SBR_L3GION Send a message via Yahoo to SBR_L3GION

i have had both the mogul and the touch and a good bit of access to an iphone. i had my mogul for 8 months and ill say for those several page texts i loved my mogul i once typed a 15 page text in about ten minutes and that is with time thinking and anyone that knows i dont do that too much. right now most of my texting happens during class or there only a few pages long and i have my ditionary on touchpal pretty well setup to what i say and have grown quite acustom to it. touch pal will take a lil while to get acustom to but it is very quicki love my touch because it is so much faster than my mogul. i know this because i play with both frequently. i agrre with the previous poster touchpal with a good bit of practice will definitely pay off. i average maybe a thousand less than blue4shizzle but that is not a small number by any means. all i can say is know the keyboard like the back of your hand it will eventually become second nature.

If I have helped you out or you enjoy my work please feel free to donate.

Helpful ROM cooking Info

How To: Registry edit to .cab

Last edited by SBR_L3GION; 05-20-2008 at 06:26 PM.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:09 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Hero
Carrier: Sprint

ajones7279 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularajones7279 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularajones7279 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularajones7279 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to ajones7279 Send a message via Yahoo to ajones7279

I have the touch too and I type just as fast if not faster than I did on my Mogul. I use Resco keyboard pro and its mad easy. I use the Touch Diamond keyboard T9 when i'm driving (easier for one hand)
Old 05-20-2008, 07:46 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Blackberry Tour
Carrier: Verizon Wireles

ryanbg is just getting started

I decided to go trade my Touch for a Mogul and I couldn't be happier but that is just me. I really don't use the hard keyboard as much as I thought I would, but it's still nice to have it.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:50 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro baby!!
Carrier: Sprint (employee plan = 20 dollars) 3000 anytime minutes and unlimited everything else :-P

blue4shizzle knows their stuffblue4shizzle knows their stuffblue4shizzle knows their stuffblue4shizzle knows their stuffblue4shizzle knows their stuffblue4shizzle knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to blue4shizzle Send a message via Yahoo to blue4shizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanbg View Post
I decided to go trade my Touch for a Mogul and I couldn't be happier but that is just me. I really don't use the hard keyboard as much as I thought I would, but it's still nice to have it.
question.. if you dont really use the effin keyboard then what part of owning a mogul makes you happier? because that is the only difference besides wifi... the touch has way more ram and isnt a large brick thats in your pocket
Old 05-20-2008, 08:06 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Evo

subhumanderelict is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsubhumanderelict is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsubhumanderelict is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsubhumanderelict is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to subhumanderelict

Bear with me on this one, but I think we have to go into a little psychology here. The original poster seems to be a bit of a grammar junkie. It’s ok; I have my moments as well. That being said, the Mogul would be the way to go. For quick messages where I could care less about a missing period or semicolon, I’ll use my on-screen keyboard. When it comes to long, drawn-out conversations, I’ll pop the keyboard open and text away. The reasons why the physical keyboard makes it so much easier for these kinds of conversations are as follows:

1.) The keyboard is simply larger than anything that could EVER fit on the standard 2.8” HTC screen, meaning you can see more even with fingers obstructing your view of it
2.) It allows the use of multiple hands to switch off between the lower/upper case characters as well as access to the function key to select the symbols

Like other people on this thread, I'm coming from a Q as well. I really do miss the one-handed typing ability, but the physical keyboard and the availability of several great on-screen keyboards are what really make me love this phone. You just have to get over that freaking beveled edge...

Old 05-20-2008, 08:17 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Hero

ajones7279 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularajones7279 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularajones7279 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularajones7279 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to ajones7279 Send a message via Yahoo to ajones7279

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue4shizzle View Post
question.. if you dont really use the effin keyboard then what part of owning a mogul makes you happier? because that is the only difference besides wifi... the touch has way more ram and isnt a large brick thats in your pocket
My thoughts exactly.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:25 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4g

aecker22 is a n00b

I use spb Full Screen Keyboard and love it. I map it to the camera button, so when i need to type a quick text or url its kinda like sliding out the mogul's keyboard, but onscreen. I can type faster with it than even touchpal
Old 05-20-2008, 08:43 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy Note 2

bkhoste knows their stuffbkhoste knows their stuffbkhoste knows their stuffbkhoste knows their stuffbkhoste knows their stuffbkhoste knows their stuff

Why do people get so worked up over their phones. It cracks me up, "My phone is better then your phone". People that like a real keyboard like the Mogul, those that like fingerprints all over their screen will like the Touch. No big deal.
Gadget/Phone History: Motorola DynaTAC 8000x; Casio BOSS; Palm Vx; Palm m130; Palm Tungsten T; Sanyo 7300; Sanyo Katana; PPC-6700; Titan; Mogul; Touch Pro, Palm Pre; HTC EVO, Motorola Photon; Samsung Galaxy Note 2 .
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue