PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2008, 07:12 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch (Vogue)
Carrier: Alltel(Verizon)

hgray is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
GPS kick start for unsigned drivers

This is for people who've done the recent alltel upgrade and copied over the GPS dlls, but don't feel like manually starting the GPS service and devices every time they reboot their phone. This cab includes some new dlls that should fix the GPS freeze problem (according/thanks to mardukeme) My app should still unload the devices and stop the service, then restart it. So if you need to, you can copy the shortcut out of the startup folder into programs or wherever you want...

This is a simple console app in C++. It does what it does without any notice. If you want to check, load up dotFreds Task Manager. If you have his task manager open when you run my app, you need to make sure to hit refresh to show the change.

I'm not responsible for anything that may happen to any device, data, or other unsaid item as a result of using or storing this app. You, the user are. Once you download it, all the crap is on you.

That being said, there is no reason anything should go wrong, so don't worry. This app is thoroughly untested, but don't let that scare you away. You should be backing your crap up when doing anything suggested by anyone on this website anyway!

If you know what to do with the exe, use it. Otherwise, grab the cab. Be sure to uninstall the old cab if you used it.

Please do not ask if this will run on your device. The only way to really know for sure is to try it yourself!

Have fun.

Edit: This program should not help you if you are trying to get a 'primer'. If it does, awesome, but that is not its purpose. Use this program instead of the 1-2-3 method that takes down some security on the phone. This allows the unsigned dlls to run at startup, without shutting off security.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE!!!
Old files are gone. mardukeme (who helped me get gps working first on the vogue) has apparently made some headway. Get the cab for best results! Includes the virser dll and some others dlls from mardukeme. Updated the kicker to start it as well! Give some thanks to mardukeme!!! (especially for making me fail my math test!)
btw, had to add qccmquery.dll to the batch of dlls to get the service to start up. Don't know why, but that's how it went.

Note: If the device goes to sleep while the GPS is in use, it will take a few seconds for the screen to turn back on. The device is just waiting for the GPS to finish starting back up.

IMPORTANT!!!!! UNINSTALL rstoyguy's cab BEFORE installing mine. Uninstalling his after installing mine will probably break mine, though a simple reinstall of mine will fix it.

UPDATE2!!! Got some better dlls from mardukeme... should run cleaner!
If updating from my last CAB, WinMo will give you the option to uninstall the previous installation. Do it, then soft reset when it asks.
Attached Files
File Type: zip GPSKickStart_EXE.zip (1.7 KB, 140 views) Click for barcode!
File Type: zip GPSKickStart_CAB.zip (110.4 KB, 562 views) Click for barcode!

Last edited by hgray; 05-02-2008 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Update!
This post has been thanked 3 times.
Old 04-26-2008, 09:33 PM
SuperNoob
Pocket PC: iPhone 5s
Carrier: TMobile

rstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation level
Re: GPS kick start for unsigned drivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgray View Post
This is not a cab. If you feel like making it into one, go ahead.

Put the program into your \Windows\Startup\ folder to have it run at boot.

Have fun.
Done. I took the existing cab HTC Enable GPS and added 2 files:
\windows\GPSEnable.exe
\windows\startup\gpsenable.lnk

I too have not had time to test hgray's executable. [insert disclaimer here, all I did was cab it!]
Attached Files
File Type: zip GPSKickStart_GPSEnable.zip (77.5 KB, 317 views) Click for barcode!

This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 04-26-2008, 09:49 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

On behalf of the lazy and the laymen, thanks rstoyguy!

I'd also like to point this out... From what I understand, the other methods that allow these drivers to load with boot, require you to disable some security checks or something.
If you're worried about that, use this. While my app doesn't have the necessary security signatures, it is safe in this aspect. All it does is activates the GPS device and the GPS service.
Old 04-26-2008, 09:50 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint SERO Premium

mswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuff

Can someone explain why one needs this?
Old 04-26-2008, 10:16 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswlogo View Post
Can someone explain why one needs this?
For alltel users, after you do the upgrade and install the GPS dlls, the drivers will not load. You have to manually start the dlls yourself. This is a hassle because you have to get a third party task manager and load them individually. This program loads the dlls without need of a third party task manager or any other effort after initial install.

Thanks to rstoyguy, now any alltel user has to do is install the alltel upgrade, run the titan GPS cab, run the cab he created for my app, and turn on location service.

This is especially convenient for laymen.
Old 04-26-2008, 10:49 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Sprint HERO
Carrier: Sprint

Vip3rV333 is keeping up the good workVip3rV333 is keeping up the good workVip3rV333 is keeping up the good work

Now I know Ive seen this question 100 times before with this kind of stuff, but Im going to assume that there is no definite answer if this uses alot of extra battery power compared to w/o the service running run the start? Guessing no one knows since it hasn't been tested enough...

Guess maybe I'll test it out then...
Old 04-27-2008, 12:43 AM
N00b
Threadstarter

The fact that it the device is loaded might use a bit more power. It shouldn't be noticeable though. Being loaded is not the same as being in use, and the GPS goes to 'sleep' when it is not being used.

I believe that the GPS service is kindof like a go-between for the OS and the device. I'm probably wrong on that, but either way, it is just a process that sits in idle like any other running program.

At the end of the day, provided you haven't been actively using the GPS, there should be no noticeable difference in power.

Also, I noticed you're in SC. Any idea if we have revA at all? I'm in Clemson right now, but I didn't notice a difference after the upgrade.
Old 04-27-2008, 12:53 AM
Regular 'Geeker

Vip3rV333 is keeping up the good workVip3rV333 is keeping up the good workVip3rV333 is keeping up the good work

So wait, this is supposed to prime the GPS for we dont have to use anouther app to do it? If so its not even doing that. TomTom and iGO both act as if it wasnt primed and dont get a signal. I uninstalled the previous Titan GPS b, softreset, and installed the cab posted by "rstoyguy"... wtf?

Oh and Im in the Boiling Springs area and nope, speeds arnt any better...
Old 04-27-2008, 01:22 AM
N00b
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vip3rV333 View Post
So wait, this is supposed to prime the GPS for we dont have to use anouther app to do it? If so its not even doing that. TomTom and iGO both act as if it wasnt primed and dont get a signal. I uninstalled the previous Titan GPS b, softreset, and installed the cab posted by "rstoyguy"... wtf?

Oh and Im in the Boiling Springs area and nope, speeds arnt any better...
Ok, so I have to ask just to be sure! Troubleshooting is all about being thorough!

Did you get the HTC Titan GPS cab that was in my first post?
Also, you need to go to Start/Settings/Phone/Services(tab)/Location Setting
and turn the location service on. Reboot and try again.
Try google maps or a program call GPS Test, before using anything else. On GPS Test, set it to com4. Link below
http://chartcross.co.uk/products/WM00002_details.asp
Old 04-27-2008, 01:31 AM
Regular 'Geeker

No I got it from a link on that thread explaining how to set up the gps on the touch. You know, that really popular one... lol

Location stetting were already set to "on"...

I can already prime it with google maps too.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue