PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2008, 02:04 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch

lsmith is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question HTC Touch Rotate Button Goes The Wrong Way

If I rotate my screen from portrait to landscape in "settings" (start/settings/System/screen) I have the option of which direction to rotate it: 1. Landscape (right-handed) [counter-clockwise] 2. Landscape (left-handed) [clockwise] However, if I use the "Rotate" icon from my "Launcher", it automatically selects "Landscape (left-handed)". This means that the buttons are on the same side as the hand holding the stylus for right-handed people. Other applications such as TCPMP rotate to the right-handed position by default. Does anyone know how to modify the registry or something so that the rotate icon in the "launcher" rotates in a right-handed manner (counter clockwise) by default? I would like to be able to flip my screen back and forth quickly without going into the settings.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:12 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2
Carrier: Alltel

armus is becoming a great contributor
this has puzzled me for the past day or two as well. Anyone know a solution?
Old 01-15-2008, 05:27 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

lsmith is a n00b
Still Haven't Solved It

Armus, the consensus on the web seems to be that changing the values of the folowing registry key will do the trick:

Right-handed:
HKLM\System\GDI\Rotation\LandscapeMode = 1 (DWORD decimal)

Left-handed:
HKLM\System\GDI\Rotation\LandscapeMode = 4 (DWORD decimal)

However it hasn't worked for me because each time I change the key from "4" to "1", the second I click on the "rotate" icon in the "Launcher", it rotates the wrong way and if I check the registry I can see the key has reverted to "4". The key is maintained as "1" until I hit the button, I have confirmed that.

There are some other solutions that don't solve the problem but are work arounds (installing 3rd party applications like SPB Tools) however I have tried them and they have not been something that I liked as they often are trying to do a lot of other things at the same time competing with the HTC Home Plugin.

Maybe you can try the solution above and see if it reverts for you too.

If anyone can comment on the reverting registry key that would be awesome.
Old 03-29-2008, 05:25 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

lsmith is a n00b
Re: Still Haven't Solved It

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsmith View Post
Armus, the consensus on the web seems to be that changing the values of the folowing registry key will do the trick:

Right-handed:
HKLM\System\GDI\Rotation\LandscapeMode = 1 (DWORD decimal)

Left-handed:
HKLM\System\GDI\Rotation\LandscapeMode = 4 (DWORD decimal)

However it hasn't worked for me because each time I change the key from "4" to "1", the second I click on the "rotate" icon in the "Launcher", it rotates the wrong way and if I check the registry I can see the key has reverted to "4". The key is maintained as "1" until I hit the button, I have confirmed that.

There are some other solutions that don't solve the problem but are work arounds (installing 3rd party applications like SPB Tools) however I have tried them and they have not been something that I liked as they often are trying to do a lot of other things at the same time competing with the HTC Home Plugin.

Maybe you can try the solution above and see if it reverts for you too.

If anyone can comment on the reverting registry key that would be awesome.
Still don't have a solution to this.
Old 03-29-2008, 05:32 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

Silent_Patriot is becoming a great contributor
Re: HTC Touch Rotate Button Goes The Wrong Way

Have you tried a soft reset after the registry change? I think that's necessary for it to stick.
Old 03-29-2008, 05:32 PM
tmz
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC EVO & Pro2
Carrier: sprint

tmz is a trusted member of the communitytmz is a trusted member of the communitytmz is a trusted member of the communitytmz is a trusted member of the communitytmz is a trusted member of the communitytmz is a trusted member of the communitytmz is a trusted member of the communitytmz is a trusted member of the communitytmz is a trusted member of the communitytmz is a trusted member of the communitytmz is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Do the hack once again. This time, after closing out do not try to rotate the screen. Wait 3 to 5 minutes. Do a soft reset. Then try again.
Old 03-29-2008, 05:57 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Carrier: Sprint

STNC is a n00b

I posted about this along time ago, finally someone else did this, I'm gonna try it right now
Old 03-29-2008, 06:06 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Carrier: Sprint

STNC is a n00b

ok, I changed it, did a soft reset, it went back to 4, changed it again, and its still doing it the old way...
Old 03-29-2008, 06:10 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch (Bell.ca CDMA)
Carrier: Bell

acarnut is a n00b

I have Pocket Plus 3, and turn off the Close Button feature that conflicts with the HTC x-button feature. PP povides discrete shortcuts for left- and right-hand rotation commands.

I then use AEBPlus to program a double click of the camera button to rotate right, and a triple click to rotate left, depending on whch side I want the D-pad to be for a particular application.

Works well for most programs, such as Opera Mini 4.
Old 03-30-2008, 01:07 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

lsmith is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by acarnut View Post
I have Pocket Plus 3, and turn off the Close Button feature that conflicts with the HTC x-button feature. PP povides discrete shortcuts for left- and right-hand rotation commands.

I then use AEBPlus to program a double click of the camera button to rotate right, and a triple click to rotate left, depending on whch side I want the D-pad to be for a particular application.

Works well for most programs, such as Opera Mini 4.
Thanks for the tip Acarnut. AEBPlus alone solved my problem. The original problem has not been solved (still reverts) however your solution (AEBPlus) is excellent as it solves the problem specifically unlike other solutions proffered that are part of a larger set of (unwanted and often buggy) features.

For anyone who wants to duplicate my approach to Acarnut's solution:
  1. Reprogram "Red Phone Button"
  2. "Single Press": "Press Red Button"
  3. "Double Press": "Rotate Screen"
  4. Under "Options" select "Screen Orientations" check "0 degrees" and "90 degrees" and uncheck "180 degrees" and "270 degrees"
By doing step 2 I ensure that phone calls will still be ended using the red button. I discovered through trial and error that although the button would be listed as "Hang Up Current Call or..." it was only by doing step 2 that it would actually hang up the calls. By doing option 4 you are able to make the red phone button double-click basically "toggle" between the regular mode ("0 degrees") and the right-handed mode ("270 degrees").

Obviously there are variations that can be employed but this is specifically what I need.

At the end of the day I am happier with this solution than what I was trying to achieve as I don't need to "go anywhere" to rotate the screen and can do it at any time from any application just by double-clicking the "end" button.

Too bad AEBPlus isn't freeware though...
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue