PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue > HTC Vogue Development
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2008, 07:48 PM
SuperNoob
Pocket PC: iPhone 5s
Carrier: TMobile

rstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: ProvXML Reference for Developers

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgeoff View Post
I forgot to ask.... are you doing the provxml > rgu conversion by hand or are you using a tool? All I have seen so far is going rgu > provxml.

I'm starting to think that going back to the dogguy kitchen is the best thing for me
by hand. I wish there was a tool. I started but I overwrote the oem directory accidentally when I was helping someone with their rom. I'll start it again, but it's a painfull cut n paste deal. Then there are still security certificates and what not. I might have some time later this week. I have noticed that the newer roms seem to take longer to soft reset, so the curiosity is still there, just no time lately...

Old 09-01-2008, 08:32 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Vogue/Sprint Touch
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

mrgeoff is keeping up the good workmrgeoff is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to mrgeoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstoyguy View Post
by hand. I wish there was a tool. I started but I overwrote the oem directory accidentally when I was helping someone with their rom. I'll start it again, but it's a painfull cut n paste deal. Then there are still security certificates and what not. I might have some time later this week. I have noticed that the newer roms seem to take longer to soft reset, so the curiosity is still there, just no time lately...
I know it will be a lenghty process... but if I move away from from the PPCKitchen, it will be a necessary evil.

I hear ya on the no time. Sounds like you sold your soul doing the OEM requests
Old 09-01-2008, 11:34 PM
SuperNoob

rstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation level

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgeoff View Post
I know it will be a lenghty process... but if I move away from from the PPCKitchen, it will be a necessary evil.

I hear ya on the no time. Sounds like you sold your soul doing the OEM requests
A little more than I expected... But if I do it, I'll detail the provxml's I did so they can be deleted, and include an OEM. They are pretty much standard so far in the different rom's that I've seen. Except the 3-4 that the different carriers include to tweak their cube/roms. I may come up with a ..\sys oem and then I'll do the sprint stuff.
Old 09-02-2008, 12:45 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Vogue
Carrier: Bell

EtrnlWolf is keeping up the good workEtrnlWolf is keeping up the good workEtrnlWolf is keeping up the good work
Send a message via ICQ to EtrnlWolf

so... mxipCOLD is only for a hard reset/first flash? ie it won't run on a soft-reset?

leaving mxipUPDATE.. says it will only run when the given package is updated, so is it the processing of all XML's to see if there was any update during a softreset that you think is slowing the boot times down?

not second guessing you at all, just trying to determine if i am following the mxip*.provxml stuff correctly...
Old 09-02-2008, 07:44 AM
SuperNoob

Quote:
Originally Posted by EtrnlWolf View Post
so... mxipCOLD is only for a hard reset/first flash? ie it won't run on a soft-reset?

leaving mxipUPDATE.. says it will only run when the given package is updated, so is it the processing of all XML's to see if there was any update during a softreset that you think is slowing the boot times down?

not second guessing you at all, just trying to determine if i am following the mxip*.provxml stuff correctly...
According to the SDK, mxipCOLD is treated the same as mxip. mxipUPDATE only processes on an "image update". The "image update", I think is basically a soft-reset. In the last Sprint Vogue ROM release there were:

mxip_*_*.provxml = 9 files
mxipcold_*_*.provxml = 3 files
mxipupdate_*_*.provxml = 19 files

So on first boot you have 31 additional files processed...

And on a soft reset you have an additional 19 files that must be processed...

So yes, I think it is slowing down the boot process. By how much??? Who knows, but most of the mxipupdate* files are designed to bring the sprint settings back. I assume when little johny messes up his phone, one call to sprint tech support, they have johny reset and all is back to how it was.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:53 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Vogue/Sprint Touch
Threadstarter

mrgeoff is keeping up the good workmrgeoff is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to mrgeoff

Quote:
A little more than I expected... But if I do it, I'll detail the provxml's I did so they can be deleted, and include an OEM. They are pretty much standard so far in the different rom's that I've seen. Except the 3-4 that the different carriers include to tweak their cube/roms. I may come up with a ..\sys oem and then I'll do the sprint stuff.
If you do ever have to time for that, it would be pretty cool. I was going to try and do that sometime this week or this coming weekend. It's not a big rush to me.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:48 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Vogue
Carrier: Bell

Videonut is becoming a great contributor

Anyone have any luck getting a path to the \Storage Card\somedirectory to work in a provxml on a Touch/Vogue
Here is a line that just won't go into the registry, but after flashing I can add this entry manually without problems. BTW this is formatted properly within the xml file, just didn't want to paste the whole thing.
<parm name="weatherIconPath" datatype="string" value="\Storage Card\WPIcons"/>
be nice if storage card had a %ce00% for consistancy across devices.

EDIT...
The more I think about this, I believe it must just be the WeatherPanel program overwriting this registry entry, because I'm pretty sure I could put /nopath/nofile and that would get written to the registy verbatim since it's really just a string.

Last edited by Videonut; 09-02-2008 at 05:03 PM.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:56 PM
SuperNoob

As an update, I'm going to first take all the file operations and convert those to a regular initflashfiles.txt file and see what happens. Most of what I've seen in the ..\SYS folder are file operations and security certs...

I'm sure with all that file moving around, that should speed it up....anyone got a stopwatch? I forgot I use an app on my phone...
Old 09-03-2008, 10:40 AM
b00nsquad
Pocket PC: Touch PRO 2
Carrier: Sprint SERO

boggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIP

Quote:
As an update, I'm going to first take all the file operations and convert those to a regular initflashfiles.txt file and see what happens. Most of what I've seen in the ..\SYS folder are file operations and security certs...

I'm sure with all that file moving around, that should speed it up....anyone got a stopwatch? I forgot I use an app on my phone...
Generally speaking (non-PPCKitchen) is finding these things just the trial and error process of opening up the various provxml files?

for example ... things like:
ActiveSync
Calendar
Contacts
Help
Internet Explorer
Internet Sharing
Messaging
Notes
Phone

I've learned (thanks to your examples and tips) how to move/delete these with (prov)XML (_setup.xml) in a FileOperation.cab, but as I am learning, that is simply taking more time to do something that was just done as part of the phone setup.

I'm trying to follow, but am I on the right track, here?

EDIT: It looks as if most of what I was / am looking for is in initflashes.dat.

Best regards,
-boggsie

Last edited by boggsie; 09-03-2008 at 12:21 PM.
Old 05-16-2009, 01:58 PM
WP Heavy Rot Sloth
Pocket PC: Mogul, Touch Pro 1&2, Evo, PhotonQ

shaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Quote:

I've been doing a lot of research in regards to these files and am planning on posting my compiled findings, but I wanted to check in with ya'll first.
specifically did you notice any speed improvement rstoyguy? I'm guessing only @ first boot.
2nd, has anyone proven mxip_update files are ran @ soft reset? I'm betting not.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue > HTC Vogue Development