PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2009, 02:04 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: pooplogs
Carrier: and pretzels

acslam is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Steering wheel controls/using as carpc...

I'm like 80% done planning the use of my touch pro as a carpc system that can move between my 3 vehicles with me. The one thing I'm a tad unclear on is......

Is there any kind of thing, say like a PAC adaptor, that can take factory steering wheel controls, and turn them into a bluetooth keyboard or controller of some kind?

I'm thinking it would be awesome to use the controls in my firebird to be able to accomplish very simple things, like media player track change and voice command activate, but I haven't seen anything like this in my searching.
Old 11-26-2009, 01:25 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint PCS

cgutta85 is a n00b
Re: Steering wheel controls/using as carpc...

SOrry no answer for you but i'm definitely curious to see your setup!
Old 11-29-2009, 02:20 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

When I can get it hammered out I'll try to post pics. I'm an EXTREMELY uncompromising person, and also extremely cheap. I literally feel guilty if I have to spend more than like 200 bucks on a car stereo to get what I want, so sometimes I come up with fairly creative solutions.

I have figured out that some guys just flat out cut up a keyboard and wire the connectors to the contacts on the factory switch. If I could power a BT keyboard off the vehicle and accomplish this, then some hotkey mapping software should be all that I need......time for an experiment! YAY!
Old 11-29-2009, 03:59 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Droid Incredible
Carrier: Alltel (Verizon)

lightninjay knows their stufflightninjay knows their stufflightninjay knows their stufflightninjay knows their stufflightninjay knows their stufflightninjay knows their stufflightninjay knows their stuff

Sounds like an adventure!

Keep us posted
Old 11-30-2009, 02:04 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

There is something that I'm hoping someone could shed some light on though....(long post ahead, sorry!)

My "proof of concept setup" is like this - I have a 7 inch motorized fold out screen deck. It's a Dual XDVDN9131, picked it up at walmart for 400 bucks. The hardware is decent to me, but the software has the typical cheap "unfinished" feel of lower priced units.

As it is, there are two funtions I use really, bluetooth and screen. The phone is generally used for ALL functions other than that.

Now, I velcro the phone down on the center console of my car just before the shifter, in the fashion of a touchpad. Also running a program that uses the dpad as an onscreen mouse cursor, and I'm setting up the phone with AEButton plus to give me instant access to media player and iguidance with buttons because those are the things I need right then with no hassle. Ran a hardwired charger buried under the dash to the side of the AV cable and sneak the AV cable just out from under the console for a pretty clean looking connection.

Now, I've found a terrible ing hiss and distortion when using a2dp, so wired connection it is for me. The video out is going to the 7 inch screen on the dash and the audio lines with it, looks good, sounds good, and I think the control should be pretty easy once I get used to it. Might even be able to use the steering wheel controls if I get fancy!

However - when using video out, the phone reverts to it's own internal mic which is just useless for this application, this is where the decks bluetooth comes in. And it works great for calls.....

But this is where I'm stuck - I'm terribly confused as to WHY voice command chooses to use the mic IN the phone, instead of the mic from the BT deck, since it's being recognized as a headset.

Searching hasn't yet yielded a solution to this, am I missing a software setting? I feel like this should be a simple question but I'm trying to figure out so many variables of this installation that it's becoming difficult to keep track of them all.

Or, is there something lacking in the deck? The deck itself has very simple software, cannot download the phone book, but it does support avrcp with the a2dp function, although I don't use that. I've noticed that there doesn't seem to be an equivalent voice command button on the deck either, although this isn't crucial to me.

Sorry for the long post, but I figured I'd throw my setup out there in case it would give anyone some ideas. I'm ultimately going to try and replicate what I learn from this project into something for my highway plow truck, having hands free calling and voice command is much more critical for me as the plow is a stickshift. Add the plow controls, CB radio, and the ice scraper 'cause my wipers never work and it's a party with not enough limbs invited.

Plus, my onboard "weather computer" makes me a valuble asset to the team!
Old 11-30-2009, 11:20 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: TP
Carrier: Duh, think about it...

Talon Pro is becoming a PPCGeeks regularTalon Pro is becoming a PPCGeeks regularTalon Pro is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Under Settings -> Voice Command -> Notifications, make sure the proper button is selected for using the BT Handsfree unit only. That might help.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:35 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Evo Shift
Carrier: Sprint SEP 4G

elmerfudpucker knows their stuffelmerfudpucker knows their stuffelmerfudpucker knows their stuffelmerfudpucker knows their stuffelmerfudpucker knows their stuffelmerfudpucker knows their stuffelmerfudpucker knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to elmerfudpucker

Is there a usb plug in on your dual? That might give you another direction to go. My pioneer can charge and play my mp3's via the usb, and the bluetooth + voice command still works.
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
Old 11-30-2009, 11:38 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

The Dual deck does have a USB, but I'm unable to get it to read the touch pros memory card, which is kinda annoying actually. It reads my girlfriend's Motorola rival pretty well, and will read my own card if i put it in an adaptor, but for some reason can't see the TP as a flash drive. Not a big deal to me, as the sound quality is about equal between both the TP and the deck, but through line out I also get the mixed in voice nav commands from iguidance.

I tried the settings for voice command but they only pertain to the notifications. I'm specifically interested in forcing it to accept input from the "headset", IE, I want it to listen through the BT mic on the deck as it's much better suited to receiving the sound in the cabin for voice commands, but force all other audio that isn't call related down the hardwired lines. For some reason, it seems that voice command is actually reverting to the phones internal mic for voice commands, but will work properly in call.

I returned the dual branded unit, and am now going to look at the possibility of something that gives up a few of the dual's features for higher quality in other areas. Maybe the voice command issue is related to the software of the deck?
Old 12-01-2009, 11:35 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro CDMA
Carrier: Telus

stimpson is a n00b
Smile Re: Steering wheel controls/using as carpc...

Cool that someone else is playing with this...I will post pictures of my system later when I get a chance

I use a 7 inch screen device, and a video cable to attach my touch pro to the car stereo...

I have wired a USB charging transformer into the video cable, so when I attach my phone it charges it as well as connecting to the stereo..

I use the AUX in for the video and audio feed from the TP and this means I can plug it in and hear music / watch youtube / use the GPS / whatever on my 7" screen.

Now for the control part that you may find interesting..

I use a Bluetooth stereo headset for Voice comand, and phone calls. If you deselect Bluetooth wireless stereo in the bluetooth setup for the headset then it will use the wired audio out for stereo music, and only put out the phone audio and use the mic for voice command on the headset.

I would assume that you could set up you deck to be the bluetooth headset, and then deselect it from being stereo music as well. This would mean that you get the use of the car deck mic for voice command, and still listen to your music on the deck though the wired connection.

I use the headset, because I find the controls on my ear more conveneint, and I also find that voice command on my headset is MUCH better than the mic on my phone, or the mic on the stereo.

cheers!=D>
Old 12-01-2009, 11:38 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro CDMA
Carrier: Telus

stimpson is a n00b

An additional though...how are you triggering voice command...I trigger it with the button on the headset and then it uses the mic on the headset.

If you use a button on the phone it will use the phone mic....

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro