View Single Post
Old 11-30-2009, 02:04 AM
acslam
Lurker
Threadstarter

acslam is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Steering wheel controls/using as carpc...

There is something that I'm hoping someone could shed some light on though....(long post ahead, sorry!)

My "proof of concept setup" is like this - I have a 7 inch motorized fold out screen deck. It's a Dual XDVDN9131, picked it up at walmart for 400 bucks. The hardware is decent to me, but the software has the typical cheap "unfinished" feel of lower priced units.

As it is, there are two funtions I use really, bluetooth and screen. The phone is generally used for ALL functions other than that.

Now, I velcro the phone down on the center console of my car just before the shifter, in the fashion of a touchpad. Also running a program that uses the dpad as an onscreen mouse cursor, and I'm setting up the phone with AEButton plus to give me instant access to media player and iguidance with buttons because those are the things I need right then with no hassle. Ran a hardwired charger buried under the dash to the side of the AV cable and sneak the AV cable just out from under the console for a pretty clean looking connection.

Now, I've found a terrible ing hiss and distortion when using a2dp, so wired connection it is for me. The video out is going to the 7 inch screen on the dash and the audio lines with it, looks good, sounds good, and I think the control should be pretty easy once I get used to it. Might even be able to use the steering wheel controls if I get fancy!

However - when using video out, the phone reverts to it's own internal mic which is just useless for this application, this is where the decks bluetooth comes in. And it works great for calls.....

But this is where I'm stuck - I'm terribly confused as to WHY voice command chooses to use the mic IN the phone, instead of the mic from the BT deck, since it's being recognized as a headset.

Searching hasn't yet yielded a solution to this, am I missing a software setting? I feel like this should be a simple question but I'm trying to figure out so many variables of this installation that it's becoming difficult to keep track of them all.

Or, is there something lacking in the deck? The deck itself has very simple software, cannot download the phone book, but it does support avrcp with the a2dp function, although I don't use that. I've noticed that there doesn't seem to be an equivalent voice command button on the deck either, although this isn't crucial to me.

Sorry for the long post, but I figured I'd throw my setup out there in case it would give anyone some ideas. I'm ultimately going to try and replicate what I learn from this project into something for my highway plow truck, having hands free calling and voice command is much more critical for me as the plow is a stickshift. Add the plow controls, CB radio, and the ice scraper 'cause my wipers never work and it's a party with not enough limbs invited.

Plus, my onboard "weather computer" makes me a valuble asset to the team!