PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2009, 10:51 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Use to be TP , now its E-V-O
Carrier: Sprint

jacker is keeping up the good workjacker is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to jacker
Re: Does GPS ever just 'go bad'?

My wife and I tp gps both went out at the same time using different roms. (psyki and nrg) so I knew it had to be something else beside the rom doing the dirt.

Flashed stock rom on mine and radio back to custom rom and it worked. For my wife I figured I just try radio only instead.

BOOM! That did the trick. So somehow both radios went bad. Don't ask me how. But I was scared at first thinking "Hardware failure on both, at the same time!!"
Old 10-29-2009, 11:59 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: XV6700/Touch Pro

0Gravity is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by psiphi View Post
For those who reflashed the Radio and got GPS working again, did you try running QuickGPS afterwards? Did the GPS keep working without the reset issue?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dschoenike View Post
I agree, it really seems like this is a quickgps issue. I changed radios last night, and all was well. Until i ran quickgps this morning. Now once again, soon as i get a sat lock, it softresets. Im gonna pull out my keychainngps receiver, and see how that goes.
dschoenike
psiphi
So Far, (Knock on Wood) It seems to have fixed the issue for me....I have been running "QuickGPS" since yesturday evening with no problem's, but dschoenike still seems to be having issues...which makes me REALLY nervous...I will be nervous until someone comes up with a reason that this happened to begin with! It's just bizzare, almost like a virus or corrupt files were sent from the carriers, and thats the scary part...it was accross multiple carriers! I'm just curious...Did this happen to anyone that was running a totally stock and locked TP? Or did it happen to just us with unlocked/custom roms! IDK

dschoenike, Have you tried a different radio? I am running the VZW 1.03.09V radio, so far with NP.

Also, someone posted this in the psyki thread....
"To everyone having GPS problems- Try downloading the QuickGPS again while synced. Mine updated @ 11:09 tonight and both Sprint Nav and Google are working fine."

I dont know if that meens to download the QuickGPS "Data" while synced or the actual QuickGPS program? Would it make a difference in DL'ing the Data while synced, does it get the data from a different source on the web while synced?

Good Luck,
0Gravity
Old 10-29-2009, 12:23 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC TP
Carrier: Bell

joeward is a n00b

Quote:
Or did it happen to just us with unlocked/custom roms! IDK
I am on the NRG ROM so yes unlocked/custom rom. But I"m still on the Stock Bell Radio.

Quote:
I dont know if that meens to download the QuickGPS "Data" while synced or the actual QuickGPS program?
I have tried that (download QuickGPS data while synced) without any success...

Since this seams to be accross carriers .. I think this is Fully quickGPS related.. maybe some Time issue... (Since GPS is all about time Sync) Just My 2 cents: does anybody think this could be a DST issue on the QuickGPS data servers ?... My theory is simple... If for some reason the QuickGPS "Server" is not up to date on the DST (Since If I'm right last sunday would've been the OLD DST change) the 1 hour shift would probably cause the gps to do some errors like that beeing off by one hour

this is just a shot in the dark....
Old 10-29-2009, 01:16 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Evo

subhumanderelict is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsubhumanderelict is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsubhumanderelict is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsubhumanderelict is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to subhumanderelict

Just for the hell of it, I tried turning the cellular radio off and connected to my home's Wi-Fi network and ran Google Maps with my GPS active and it still crashed!

Old 10-29-2009, 01:28 PM
Lurker

joeward is a n00b

Quote:
I tried turning the cellular radio off and connected to my home's Wi-Fi network and ran Google Maps
Thx for the test... I tried that as well but same result for me...
Going back to stock ROM (Bell) doesn't make a difference.

But maybe we can assume that the GPS portion of the radio seem to have a conflict with quickGPS or sync time... I just don't know why the DST seems to make more and more sense... since CAN/US are almost the only place in the world that finish their DST on the first sunday of Nov instead of last Sunday of October (like almost everywhere else).... we didn't have this problem last year(at least I don't think) so maybe this is totally unrelated... maybe it will get fixed by next sunday when DST will finish in US/CAN.... any ideas ?

The other thing I don't understand is the reaction the GPS is having... I would at first get a softreset after a GPS lock ... now the gps justs "disapear" and becomes unavailable until I softreset....
Old 10-29-2009, 02:20 PM
Give him the KICK!!!
Pocket PC: HTC EVO w/TP as a Back Up
Carrier: sprint

dschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributions

This problem sure has been weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0Gravity View Post

dschoenike, Have you tried a different radio? I am running the VZW 1.03.09V radio, so far with NP.

Ive tried like 3 different radios, and its happened (crash after a lock) with all of them. But, the only time it crashes, is if ive used quickgps. I hardreset, went back to my original radio (sprint 1.03.15f i think) and gps has been fine, knock on wood. Im not going near quickgps anytime soon.

dschoenike

Good Luck,
0Gravity

Old 10-29-2009, 03:45 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro on Alltel
Carrier: Alltel

rev800x is becoming a great contributor

Yup. Same issue here. Michigan. Garmin XT sees the GPS, gets a lock, and then BOOM! Gone. No GPS device found. Soft reset, same thing. It won't soft reset on it's own though, only with HTC GPS tool does it reset on it's own when it gets a lock. Weird. I'm putting the blame on qgps as well.
Old 10-29-2009, 04:43 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint PCS

psiphi knows their stuffpsiphi knows their stuffpsiphi knows their stuffpsiphi knows their stuffpsiphi knows their stuffpsiphi knows their stuff
Unhappy Re: Does GPS ever just 'go bad'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeward View Post

Since this seams to be accross carriers .. I think this is Fully quickGPS related.. maybe some Time issue... (Since GPS is all about time Sync) Just My 2 cents: does anybody think this could be a DST issue on the QuickGPS data servers ?... My theory is simple... If for some reason the QuickGPS "Server" is not up to date on the DST (Since If I'm right last sunday would've been the OLD DST change) the 1 hour shift would probably cause the gps to do some errors like that beeing off by one hour

this is just a shot in the dark....
Are they having this problem on other phones such as the diamonds then? What other phones use QUICKGPS? If they are having problems, we have our answer... Hopefully, the problem will go away Sunday/Monday...

If not..... Not sure...

I flashed last night, all was well this morning... Tried to get a fix a few minutes ago and I got a fix to a location 30 miles from here, and it was moving... Hope its just the rain clouds reflecting signal...

Hey, how can we "expire" the data in QuickGPS, or deactivate it?
Old 10-29-2009, 05:05 PM
Lurker

joeward is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by psiphi View Post
Are they having this problem on other phones such as the diamonds then?
Apparently so all seem to be on CDMA tho.. but exact same symptoms

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread...&highlight=gps

Quote:
Hey, how can we "expire" the data in QuickGPS, or deactivate it?
you can delete the "xtra.bin" file in folder: \windows\ it will show in quick GPS as "not downloaded yet" and "expired"
But no success with this option either ....

can quick GPS itself modify or corrupt the GPS portion radio?

Last edited by joeward; 10-29-2009 at 05:34 PM.
Old 10-29-2009, 05:20 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

jkobe is a n00b

Another Michigander with the GPS issue. I am on Sprint using the latest Mightyrom and neither TomTom nor Live Search will get a fix on Satellites. TomTom would look and then before it would get a fix, the TP would soft reset. After trying TomTom several times, it now doesn't soft reboot on it's own but just won't find a satellite. I am not going to do anything but wait until next week to see if it somehow fixes itself or until one of you who are far smarter than myself figures it out.

Last edited by jkobe; 10-29-2009 at 06:32 PM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro