PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2009, 02:54 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Mogul
Carrier: Sprint

srsizzy is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Manual Activation, SERO

So, I did what I'm supposed to do and searched for threads about this. All of them date back to last November and December. Since then, Best Buy now sells their TPs for a ridiculous $700 (and I'm not seeing anything about them being cheaper), and Sprint has 'em for about $600 or something.

Being on SERO, I see I cannot upgrade AND get the normal 2-year discount without a lot of luck calling CS. So, I'm thinking that my only hope for a cheap (read: affordable) phone without being really tricky would be to buy an unactivated phone off of Ebay (or Craigslist) and manually activate it online. The TPs on Ebay are down to $270, which sounds just about as low as they generally get without a lot of luck with customer service.

Has anyone done this recently? Some threads say it's perfectly easy, but I'm not going to consider doing it until I'm totally sure I'm not wasting my time. Sounds like it should work fine. Get the phone, activate manually online, and everything remains the same, yes? I'm assuming the old phone simply stops working?

Also, sidenote: when your contract ends, does your plan just continue (theoretically) indefinitely? And I could just upgrade my phone manually like this whenever I feel like it?

Thanks for the help.
Old 06-16-2009, 03:00 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro 2

frazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfrazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfrazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfrazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfrazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Re: Manual Activation, SERO

I have not purchased a phone on eBayor Craigslist, but when I got my Touch Pro from Assurion I activated it manuallly online. So I'll assume you'll have no issue.

BTW I'm also on SERO.
Free Disposable Email: MyTrashMail
Old 06-16-2009, 03:31 AM
N00b
Threadstarter

srsizzy is a n00b

thanks frazell

(unrelated sprint question: does anyone know if it's possible to change the name on the whole account without needing to renew a contract or anything? I bought my contract when I was under 18 through my mom, and I'd like to have it under my name to start building credit now that I'm almost 19. figured they wouldn't let me until the contract is up, but seeing as I don't plan on renewing the contract unless the SERO doesn't change, does anyone know if this is possible?)
Old 06-16-2009, 05:36 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic Touch 4G

Imaginos knows their stuffImaginos knows their stuffImaginos knows their stuffImaginos knows their stuffImaginos knows their stuffImaginos knows their stuff
Send a message via ICQ to Imaginos

Go to a Sprint store with your mom and do a TOL (transfer of liability) to your name and the billing + ownership will be all yours. From there on, it will be reportable against your credit history. Win/win.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:53 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro/Touch Diamond/BlackBerry Tour 9630

basilray knows their stuffbasilray knows their stuffbasilray knows their stuffbasilray knows their stuffbasilray knows their stuffbasilray knows their stuffbasilray knows their stuff
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

If you're going to get a phone off EBay, make sure you get the ESN number before hand so you can check it with Sprint. If the ESN is flagged in their system, you'll NEVER be able to activate it...at least not without dropping some BIG $$$$.

If you get one locally of Craigslist...have them meet you at a Sprint store and do the purchase there. Again, to make sure it's a clean ESN.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:49 AM
Jedi Master
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

Darkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imaginos View Post
Go to a Sprint store with your mom and do a TOL (transfer of liability) to your name and the billing + ownership will be all yours. From there on, it will be reportable against your credit history. Win/win.
Cool I didn't realize that cell phone bills build credit history. Since I'm on auto payment I've never had a late bill, so that probably helps.

Also once your contract is up, your plan should continue indefinitely, unless you personally switch the plan yourself.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:03 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO 3D/Touch Pro 2/Touch Pro/Treo 700wx

jeffH70 is becoming a great contributor

You can get phone from BB for your sero account, as long as you are out of your 2 year contract or at least 22 months into it. That was how I got my TP from BB last Oct. Their snap system can verify that you can upgrade, however, their system can not see your account detail due to the sero. What they will do is to call Sprint to activate the phone manually to the system (ESN) and then it will provision itself automatically. Of course do not tell BB you have sero, just say you are in the corp account will do.
Old 06-16-2009, 02:59 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

srsizzy is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffH70 View Post
You can get phone from BB for your sero account, as long as you are out of your 2 year contract or at least 22 months into it. That was how I got my TP from BB last Oct. Their snap system can verify that you can upgrade, however, their system can not see your account detail due to the sero. What they will do is to call Sprint to activate the phone manually to the system (ESN) and then it will provision itself automatically. Of course do not tell BB you have sero, just say you are in the corp account will do.
Yeah, I knew this, but as of now it is no way worth buying through BB unless their prices online don't reflect their prices in store. Still, unless it's under $270, which I sincerely doubt (that whole discounted TP was months ago), it's not worth it.

The phones on Ebay are sold by pretty high-rated sellers and guaranteed for activation. I've never had problems on Ebay, but I'll ask for the ESN beforehand if they'll give it.

Thanks everyone.

OF COURSE, the TP2 might be released on Sprint soon, though it'll be ages until THAT'S this cheap, unless BB sells it for low like they did with the TP. I also don't like what it looks like at all. They tried to rip off the iPhone too much, and the colors are meh. Though, I didn't realize the Sprint TP doesn't have a tilting screen; I swear the GSM one did when I was looking before.

Last edited by srsizzy; 06-16-2009 at 03:02 PM.
Old 06-16-2009, 03:52 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro 2

frazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfrazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfrazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfrazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfrazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imaginos View Post
A Sprint bill won't help your credit history as like most regular companies Sprint doesn't make regular reports to the credit reporting agencies. They only contact them once your bill hits collections.

So other than having the nice feeling of it being under your name it won't help you any...
Old 06-16-2009, 04:05 PM
Jedi Master
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

Darkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by frazell View Post
A Sprint bill won't help your credit history as like most regular companies Sprint doesn't make regular reports to the credit reporting agencies. They only contact them once your bill hits collections.

So other than having the nice feeling of it being under your name it won't help you any...
That's what I had thought too. Best way to build credit history is just to pay your credit card bills on time and keep them for as long as possible so you have a lengthy history.

Believe it or not, the amount of credit limit you have also affects your score, so the more credit limit you have the better. The score takes into account how much credit you utilize from month to month so if you have high credit limit, but pay off your bills in full, it looks fantastic for your credit score. This obviously requires a bit of self control however.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro