PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2009, 12:10 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2
Carrier: Sprint

kidmet is keeping up the good workkidmet is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to kidmet Send a message via Yahoo to kidmet
WARNING Battery Danger

I walked into my house early this week to the smell of burning. I couldn't find where it was coming from. Last night as I was gathering my laundry I noticed a burn through the back of my jeans. A HUGE hole. I had a spare Touch Pro battery in my back pocket. It had expanded and obviously started a fire in my jeans. They were in a clothes pile and buried, so I assume that there wasn't enough oxygen to start a fire. I will post pictures later, but be very careful where you store extra batteries. I was very worried about my home.

Last edited by kidmet; 05-14-2009 at 07:35 PM.
This post has been thanked 7 times.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:13 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: EPIC

Unknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIP
Re: WARNING Battery Danger

Did you have anything in the pocket besides your battery that would of shorted out the contacts to the battery.

It happen to me once, had some spare coins put a 9v in my front pocket and within min. my leg felt like their was a torch pointing at it.
Don't just say "Thanks"....give
Old 05-14-2009, 12:15 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

qper is keeping up the good workqper is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidmet View Post
I walked into my house early this week to the smell of burning. I couldn't find where it was coming from. Last night as I was gathering my laundry I noticed a burn through the back of my jeans. A HUGE hole. I had a spare Touch Pro battery in my back pocket. It had expanded and obviously started a fire in my jeans. They were in a clothes pile and buried, so I assume that there wasn't enough oxygen to start a fire. I will post pictures later, but be very careful where you store extra batteries. I was very worried about my home.
That would odd for it to do by itself. Sounds like the leads got shorted. Was there any metal or foil in the pocket?
Old 05-14-2009, 12:16 PM
i don't miss blackberry
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S3
Carrier: Sprint PCS

ou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuff

yeah thats really odd...what condition is the battery in now?
Old 05-14-2009, 12:18 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2
Threadstarter

kidmet is keeping up the good workkidmet is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to kidmet Send a message via Yahoo to kidmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post
yeah thats really odd...what condition is the battery in now?
I will post pics tonight if I remember. The battery looks all bloated and the metal casing is exposed. (And burnt of course) To answer earlier questions there was absolutely nothing else in the pocket. I make sure to keep all metal away from a spare.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:38 PM
Super Senior VIP Member
Pocket PC: Nexus 6p
Carrier: Att StraightTalk

psycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via MSN to psycho_maniac Send a message via Skype™ to psycho_maniac

wow this sucks. i never had this happen with my lg batteries. i usually keep my batteries in my wallet in a seperate pocket. maybe it got hot in the laundry? put hot clothes on your jeans and somehow? :S
Old 05-14-2009, 12:49 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Droid
Carrier: Verizon

shark1987 is keeping up the good workshark1987 is keeping up the good work

wow, I have my spare in my backpack, but I think I'm gonna take it out after hearing this. Maybe just put it in a baggy or something, that way nothing will get to it..
Old 05-14-2009, 01:41 PM
The PPCG CR Guy!
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

Laos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Laos101

either the contacts shot or you exposed it to heat. there are warnings on the back for such

was it an OEM battery or Some random?
Old 05-14-2009, 01:56 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2
Carrier: Verizon

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Zone View Post
had some spare coins put a 9v in my front pocket and within min. my leg felt like their was a torch pointing at it.
I had the exact same thing happen, that's not a whole lotta fun......

~John
Old 05-14-2009, 02:16 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

retrodeviant is still contributing even after becoming a VIPretrodeviant is still contributing even after becoming a VIPretrodeviant is still contributing even after becoming a VIPretrodeviant is still contributing even after becoming a VIPretrodeviant is still contributing even after becoming a VIPretrodeviant is still contributing even after becoming a VIPretrodeviant is still contributing even after becoming a VIPretrodeviant is still contributing even after becoming a VIPretrodeviant is still contributing even after becoming a VIPretrodeviant is still contributing even after becoming a VIPretrodeviant is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

A lithium ion battery can burn at some ridiculously hot temperatures when ignited. Overcharging, heat and shorting it out via the contacts are pretty much the only ways to cause one to ignite, though. I don't see how just being in an otherwise empty pocket could cause one to spontaneously combust, though stranger things have happened.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro