PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2009, 02:58 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: VZW

jsntrenkler is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: I'm convinced

Quote:
Originally Posted by esqueue View Post
I have a love hate relationship with this phone. I love the resolution and the keyboard while I hate how it is slower than all phones in it's class. Everyone with their BB's and iphones click and get results while I have to wait for programs to reload.

I hate how htc messed up a perfectly working gps. I also hate the fact that they will NEVER update this phone. I am stuck with sprint as I have a SERO plan.

With all these complaints, I like the phone.
Well put ... Actually, you reminded me of another huge annoyance of the phone. BB's and iPhones can pull up a Google Search much, much faster ... Heck even a contact search takes a few seconds to get up and running.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:45 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Alltel Touch Pro
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

AceXMachine knows their stuffAceXMachine knows their stuffAceXMachine knows their stuffAceXMachine knows their stuffAceXMachine knows their stuffAceXMachine knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeln View Post
I'm convinced the HTC Touch Pro is a horrible product. After battling constant issues with power and freezing up (even resulting to trying numerous roms), I am giving up on this phone. It will now be a mobile modem for me only. My 8700g will once again be my saving grace for actually getting things done.
You must be an easy sell then. The Touch Pro is damn near perfect, anyone who thinks otherwise is an idiot. It is only hampered by software, be it HTC (drivers and UI) or Microsoft (OS and drivers). These are not the fault of the device itself, and are a fact of life for any modern WinMo device (especially HTC ones). Anyone getting a device like this should know what they are getting into before they pull out thier wallet. Blackberries offer nothing except exceptional email and PIM capabilities but are otherwise simplistic devices only capable of equally simplistic tasks. For Christ's sake, they run on JVM! The iPhone is nothing more than a toy, but to it's credit, it offers an exceptional UI and browser. Only problem is you have to sell your soul to satan (Steve Jobs/Apple/Cultists/etc) to own one. Correction, to "hold one". Because you do not "own" an iPhone, Apple does, and they tell you what you can and cannot do on it. In addition to purposefully stifling it's own development and that of third party devs but also creating a device suited for its own interest, not that of the consumer. As said here, most of the "issues" with the device have been resolved or are at least being worked on by the many Chefs you can find right on this site and we can only hope that more "official" upgrades/updates/fixes are on the way. But it is far better than the alternatives.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:13 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

pastafarian is keeping up the good workpastafarian is keeping up the good workpastafarian is keeping up the good work

This phone like all WM ppc phones is a conundrum. It's a great toy for the geek at heart who likes to tinker but poorly implemented for any concevable market. If the video performance were acceptable, this could be considered a high end consumer device, it's not. If the battery life were significantly better it would be a great business device, it isn't. With WM, it's always "the next version will fix things", but it never does. Hey, how about not having the phone turn on incessantly to tell me the battery is low, accelerating it's demise? I'm also not too happy with HTC. Each of the 3 HTC devices I've owned has had significant design flaws that are never addressed. I've owned 3 models, but I've had 8 units! The TP battery life is so bad, I now carry 3 batteries with me for heavy use days. The keyboard lag and slow transitions from portrait to landscape should not exist, period. Then there are the oily spots, the failing keyboards and the creaky battery covers. I admit I enjoy constantly tinkering with the phone to improve its performance and function. I also hate that I have to constantly tinker with my phone. I could never recommend a TP or any WM device to someone looking for anything other than a toy to tinker with. I have fought with WM for years and frankly, I'm done. When it's time to replace this phone, I'll look to Android, maybe the Pre or take a step back in functionality with hopefully a step forward in reliability with a BB.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:47 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2
Carrier: Verizon

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community

As I stated earlier, I love my TP's but they are definitely NOT for everyone.

I have a 20 year old son who is in College (but is not a geek at all) & I gave him one of the TP's to try out for a while. His main thing is texting & he can text faster on a T9 phone keypad than anybody I've ever seen (it is amazing to watch).

He used the TP for a month or so & decided he hated it. He went out & bought a new Verizon eNv 2 & he absolutely loves it. The eNv is the ultimate for super fast texting (it responds instantly/never lags even for a split second), is much easier to take a good picture with & works perfectly as a phone & that's all he really needs..........

~John
Old 05-13-2009, 11:09 AM
i like turtles
Pocket PC: Fascinate (Galaxy S)

chronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIP

Time for a.... JITTERBUG!

Last edited by chronster; 05-13-2009 at 11:12 AM.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:27 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: EVO
Carrier: Sprint

zone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

I will say that when I first got my TP I returned it due to poor battery life. It is very hard on the battery. I don't think anyone will argue that. After looking at the other sprint phones including the Samsung Instinct this is the best phone Sprint has to offer. I believe what HTC should have done is provided a extra battery and charger like the Samsung Instinct. After flashing the radio and using Might Mikes R3born ROM the battery life is acceptable. Turning off things like WiFi, Beam, and Direct Push I can get pretty good life out of the battery. Turning these options on when needed will extend battery life. For example I turn Direct Push off when I'm in the office and on when I leave. I do feel these are things I should not have to do but have come to the reality that, that's just the way it is.

I have not had issues with lock ups or freezing at all. The phone is very responsive and quick to load apps and switch between tabs. My previous phone was a Moto Q9c if you want a phone with windows mobile and great battery life its probably the way to go.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:48 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: xv6700 -> xv6800 -> xv6850(TP) -> TOUCH PRO 2!

ZuneNinja! is becoming a PPCGeeks regularZuneNinja! is becoming a PPCGeeks regularZuneNinja! is becoming a PPCGeeks regularZuneNinja! is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skelator03 View Post
TP is the shizzy best phone since the 6700 for sure this man just hasnt read enough to make it the way he wants it and make it stable IMO
I agree 110%. The TP is the sizzy. You just have to customize it to make it work the way you want it to. And that, my friends, is the beauty of windows mobile.

Old 05-13-2009, 05:43 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

michaeln is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceXMachine View Post
You must be an easy sell then. The Touch Pro is damn near perfect, anyone who thinks otherwise is an idiot. It is only hampered by software, be it HTC (drivers and UI) or Microsoft (OS and drivers). These are not the fault of the device itself, and are a fact of life for any modern WinMo device (especially HTC ones). Anyone getting a device like this should know what they are getting into before they pull out thier wallet. Blackberries offer nothing except exceptional email and PIM capabilities but are otherwise simplistic devices only capable of equally simplistic tasks. For Christ's sake, they run on JVM! The iPhone is nothing more than a toy, but to it's credit, it offers an exceptional UI and browser. Only problem is you have to sell your soul to satan (Steve Jobs/Apple/Cultists/etc) to own one. Correction, to "hold one". Because you do not "own" an iPhone, Apple does, and they tell you what you can and cannot do on it. In addition to purposefully stifling it's own development and that of third party devs but also creating a device suited for its own interest, not that of the consumer. As said here, most of the "issues" with the device have been resolved or are at least being worked on by the many Chefs you can find right on this site and we can only hope that more "official" upgrades/updates/fixes are on the way. But it is far better than the alternatives.
Let me make sure I understand your logic. Since I don't think the HTC touch pro is "damn near perfect", I am an idiot. Gotcha. I guess coming from a more mature phone background (Blackberry), and having reasonable comparable quality expectations, I am an idiot. I guess paying nearly $400 for a crippled toy and being a bit upset at the lack of service delivery, I am an idiot. I guess being a professional for a living and not a phone circle jerker, I am an idiot.

Thanks, I got it man. Stay classy.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:44 PM
Account Disabled
Pocket PC: HTC Shooter/Schubert 32GB
Carrier: T-Mobile

Dr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)

Quote:
Let me make sure I understand your logic. Since I don't think the HTC touch pro is "damn near perfect", I am an idiot. Gotcha. I guess coming from a more mature phone background (Blackberry), and having reasonable comparable quality expectations, I am an idiot. I guess paying nearly $400 for a crippled toy and being a bit upset at the lack of service delivery, I am an idiot. I guess being a professional for a living and not a phone circle jerker, I am an idiot.

don't take it personal. i agree with what you're saying and if everyone felt otherwise, they wouldn't be a member here hacking and tweeking their phones. but you must ignore the fanboys, anytime you speak negative about their favorite toy you will be attacked. just wait til they upgrade and then post later how much they hated their old phone or how crappy it really was, then you can come back to this thread as proof.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:36 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Alltel Touch Pro
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

AceXMachine knows their stuffAceXMachine knows their stuffAceXMachine knows their stuffAceXMachine knows their stuffAceXMachine knows their stuffAceXMachine knows their stuff

Quote:

Good job, you got it. Love how you focused on that one specific point. To clarify, no I don't think you're an idiot...short sighted, maybe. The point of my post was to point out the (not so?) obvious problems with the alternatives. To each his own, but personally i do not agree with or care if you think the phone is a "horrible product". While I do not think highly of the Blackberry, you don't see me going to a blackberry forum and telling them that it sucks. This thread was unnecessary and it was arrogant of you to post it just as it was arrogant for me to say anyone who disagreed was an idiot.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro