PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2009, 01:12 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Evo
Carrier: Sprint

Reno is keeping up the good workReno is keeping up the good workReno is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Reno
Is this possible? Using TP as modem for PS3 UPDATES ONLY?

I have a PS3 and i'm looking to use my TP for updating NBA 2K9 rosters for my PS3, is there anyway possible I could use my laptop and PS3 and TP and make a bridged connection or anything like that?
Old 04-07-2009, 01:38 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

Skelator03 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSkelator03 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSkelator03 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Re: Is this possible? Using TP as modem for PS3 UPDATES ONLY?

you could do it wouldnt be hard at all just connect the phone to your laptop tether it the go to your network connections hold shift click your tethered connection and then click the LAN conenction right click and hit bridge connection and then connect the laptop ethernet cord to the back of the ps3............but it would be easier to just use WM modem and turn phone into wifi hotspot and then use that hope that helps man
Old 04-07-2009, 01:58 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

kayfouroh is keeping up the good workkayfouroh is keeping up the good work

Doesn't the PS3 not pick up Adhoc networks?
Old 04-07-2009, 04:10 PM
Regular 'Geeker

sracercelica is keeping up the good worksracercelica is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigsawman View Post
I use my TP for PS3 Internet connectivity all the time. My method may be more than you are looking for though. I have the PS3 wired to a linksys wireless router (reflashed with DD-WRT). The wireless side of the router is in client mode so that whenever I turn on WMwifirouter on my TP, anything hooked to the linksys box has internet access.

I play GTA4 multiplayer all the time through my TP, but do have to be careful to limit to my play time to an hour or two. The TP's battery seems to discharge faster than the power adapter can keep up with it. I miss my mogul for this, the mogul I could leave on for days at a time.

For the PS3 -> laptop -> TP, I'd say you need to do what Skelator03 said, tether the TP to the laptop in some way, then bridge, or use ICS (whichever is easier for you) the network tethered connection to the laptop's wired ethernet, then wire that to the PS3 (may need a ethernet crossover cable for this).

And no, I don't think the PS3's wireless will pick up adhoc, I could never get mine to see my TP, but did not try too hard either...
Do you get lag? or is it playable?
I moved to some appartment building where DSL isn't available and cable broadband is way to expensive, so the only way for me to get online is by using my TP. However, I have never tried to use it to play my PS3 because I would think the connection would be to slow.
Old 04-07-2009, 04:18 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2
Carrier: Verizon

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigsawman View Post
but do have to be careful to limit to my play time to an hour or two. The TP's battery seems to discharge faster than the power adapter can keep up with it.
What's probably happening is the power adaptor stops charging totally when the battery gets too hot. I connect up my son online the same way you do & have the exact same problem, as soon as the battery heats up (almost immediately) it might as well be unplugged as it won't be charging anyway.

My old Titan's did not have this problem at all.

The posters are right about ad-hoc, that will NOT work in a PS3.

~John
Old 04-07-2009, 04:50 PM
Regular 'Geeker

kevm14 is keeping up the good workkevm14 is keeping up the good work

I was thinking about the charging cut off issue. Assuming you start with an unplugged TP, do we think it gets hot enough to stop charging, without even being plugged in? Or is it the charging that adds the extra heat to stop the charging. If it is the later, then figuring out the power load and using a charger with just slightly more than that power requirement might result in the coolest operation. For example, perhaps charging off the 500mA USB will actually keep the battery cool enough to keep charging. Even if 500mA is not enough to charge the phone while using it, that is a huge improvement over discharging. Just a theory. It is entirely possible that the amount of juice used by the phone when it is running hot is more than 500mA and there's just no way to put that much power back into the battery without it heating up. And it might "trip" without being plugged in at all, which would REALLY suck.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:00 PM
Bay Area Boss
Pocket PC: Nexus One
Carrier: T-Mobile

p-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via Yahoo to p-slim

Quote:
Originally Posted by sracercelica View Post
Do you get lag? or is it playable?
I moved to some appartment building where DSL isn't available and cable broadband is way to expensive, so the only way for me to get online is by using my TP. However, I have never tried to use it to play my PS3 because I would think the connection would be to slow.
The tp would be waaaaay to slow to actually play games online. to play online without interuption you need at least a 6 mg internet. True slower ones work, but for sure you will be lagging.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:04 PM
Bay Area Boss

p-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Everyone is doing it the hard way. you can use wmwifi router and it turns your tp into a wireless hot spot, that would be the easiest way to connect your playstation to a wireless network. unfortunately they charge 29.99 1 time fee for the program but there is a trial and it swell worth it. you will be a walking wireless hotspot.

http://www.wmwifirouter.com/
Old 04-07-2009, 05:05 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

kayfouroh is keeping up the good workkayfouroh is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-slim View Post
Everyone is doing it the hard way. you can use wmwifi router and it turns your tp into a wireless hot spot, that would be the easiest way to connect your playstation to a wireless network. unfortunately they charge 29.99 1 time fee for the program but there is a trial and it swell worth it. you will be a walking wireless hotspot.

http://www.wmwifirouter.com/
Did you even read the thread?

PS3 doesn't accept adhoc networks, which is what WMWifiRouter creates.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:07 PM
Bay Area Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
Did you even read the thread?

PS3 doesn't accept adhoc networks, which is what WMWifiRouter creates.
I did, but i wasn't sure which network it created.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro