PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2009, 01:46 PM
i like turtles
Pocket PC: Fascinate (Galaxy S)
Carrier: Verizon

chronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
ATTENTION: Warning about replacing GWES.EXE!

I've been seeing a lot of talk about replacing the gwes.exe file in order to get these new HTC enhancements to run on your phone. It hasn't been made clear to enough people this is an unsafe method of getting these enhancements to work especially on a stock rom.

So to everyone with a stock Sprint ROM: DO NOT REPLACE GWES.EXE BECAUSE IT WILL MAKE YOUR PHONE NOT BOOT UP.

It's been done by many people with stock roms (once even by me) and the result has all been the same: The phone locks up at the boot screen after the first restart when replacing the gwes.exe file.

I hope I save at least one person from a hard reset with this post.

edit:

There is a correct way to keep the stock rom and get the enhancements. You'll need to back up your contents with a program like SPB backup, then you'll need to unlock your phone and flash with this rom: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showpost.p...78&postcount=8 This rom contains all the stock sprint information, but is based on a 21000 or higher build. Once it's flashed, you can restore your data using spb backup and you won't lose a thing.

Thank p-slim, machinehead, and tsowen

Last edited by chronster; 03-24-2009 at 09:39 AM.
This post has been thanked 13 times.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:27 PM
Gettin' Freaky With It
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S5/iPad Air 2
Carrier: Big Red

rainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to rainfreak
Re: ATTENTION: Warning about replacing GWES.EXE!

Good looking out chron, hopefully this will help a few people before a hard reset is needed.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:28 PM
Bay Area Boss
Pocket PC: Nexus One
Carrier: T-Mobile

p-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via Yahoo to p-slim

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post
I've been seeing a lot of talk about replacing the gwes.exe file in order to get these new HTC enhancements to run on your phone. It hasn't been made clear to enough people this is an unsafe method of getting these enhancements to work especially on a stock rom.

So to everyone with a stock Sprint ROM: DO NOT REPLACE GWES.EXE BECAUSE IT WILL MAKE YOUR PHONE NOT BOOT UP.

It's been done by many people with stock roms (once even by me) and the result has all been the same: The phone locks up at the boot screen after the first restart when replacing the gwes.exe file.

I hope I save at least one person from a hard reset with this post.
This is correct, but to fix the problem, one of our very own has created a custom stock rom with a build 21xxx and has net 3.5 already installed. So this is great for people like me who like the stock rom but need a build of 21xxx or higher. Thanks once again to the mighty fayfay. check out post #8

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showpost.p...78&postcount=8

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread...278#post788278

Last edited by p-slim; 03-23-2009 at 02:30 PM. Reason: link to full thread
This post has been thanked 3 times.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:33 PM
i like turtles
Threadstarter

chronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-slim View Post
This is correct, but to fix the problem, one of our very own has created a custom stock rom with a build 21xxx and has net 3.5 already installed. So this is great for people like me who like the stock rom but need a build of 21xxx or higher. Thanks once again to the mighty fayfay. check out post #8

nice find! Is there a way for people to backup their current stuff (contacts, apps installed, reg tweaks, manila files) load this rom, then revert everything back to the way they had their phone prior to the rom flash?
Old 03-23-2009, 02:54 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro & Palm Pre
Carrier: Sprint

Machinehead knows their stuffMachinehead knows their stuffMachinehead knows their stuffMachinehead knows their stuffMachinehead knows their stuffMachinehead knows their stuff

Sprite backup is an option. PIM backup is another.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:57 PM
Bay Area Boss

p-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Quote:
nice find! Is there a way for people to backup their current stuff (contacts, apps installed, reg tweaks, manila files) load this rom, then revert everything back to the way they had their phone prior to the rom flash?
I'm not sure because i don't use sprite or spb back up. Technically they should work but i don't want to send you in the wrong direction.
Old 03-23-2009, 03:23 PM
Bay Area Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Sprite backup is an option. PIM backup is another.
so how do i check the page pool to see if its 32mb?
Old 03-23-2009, 04:56 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S ll, Epic 4G Touch

tsowen can't get a higher reputation leveltsowen can't get a higher reputation leveltsowen can't get a higher reputation leveltsowen can't get a higher reputation leveltsowen can't get a higher reputation leveltsowen can't get a higher reputation leveltsowen can't get a higher reputation leveltsowen can't get a higher reputation leveltsowen can't get a higher reputation leveltsowen can't get a higher reputation leveltsowen can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Send a message via ICQ to tsowen Send a message via MSN to tsowen Send a message via Skype™ to tsowen

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-slim View Post

Just what I was looking for!
Old 03-24-2009, 12:34 AM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S ll, Epic 4G Touch

tsowen can't get a higher reputation leveltsowen can't get a higher reputation leveltsowen can't get a higher reputation leveltsowen can't get a higher reputation leveltsowen can't get a higher reputation leveltsowen can't get a higher reputation leveltsowen can't get a higher reputation leveltsowen can't get a higher reputation leveltsowen can't get a higher reputation leveltsowen can't get a higher reputation leveltsowen can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Send a message via ICQ to tsowen Send a message via MSN to tsowen Send a message via Skype™ to tsowen

Quote:
I loaded all mine up using SPB Backup and then installed this ROM and then ran the back up and everything worked perfect not one problem.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:34 AM
i like turtles
Threadstarter

This seems to be the safest course of action then for people who want the enhancements and the stock rom. I'll make a note of it in the first post.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro