PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2009, 01:59 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro/Palm Treo Pro
Carrier: Sprint

shailigum is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Looking for knowlegable people, please read

Hey hows it goin guys...im new to the forums here and im new to windows mobile as well, just recently switched over to the mogul from the instinct and well im wayyy more satisfied with it than I ever was with my instinct.
Right now i'm running a custom ROM on my Mogul, Titanium v. something...it definately improved the usability of the device over the default OS, but still is a little laggy for my taste. Not to fear ill be getting a touch pro either tomorrow or monday so that's where my real interest currently lies.
Lemme get to my point.
Basically i'm here to introduce myself considering ill probably be spending alot of time here (and to be honest, at other forums as well) after I get my pro, and also cause I have some questions about stuff i'd like to understand. Before I ask anything i just wanna make it clear that i personally am very knowledgeable when it comes to techincal aspects of the computer world in general so I don't have too hard of a time understanding majority of things.
Now for my questions.

1. What is the difference between using the default sprint rom or a custom one? Advantages vs. disadvantages? What should I be considering in selecting a ROM for use? What's the best one? What is a 'kitchen'?

2. What is the difference between the different radios? What are the disadvantages/advantages of using different ones? What is the purpose of changing to a different radio? What's the best one?

3. Any important/useful tweaks/hacks/software I should know about to improve the usage of my device? If i'm going to be venturing into the world of 'custom ROM flashing' and 'radios' and etc, what else do I need to know? What different factors should I take into account that will affect the stability of my device?

I think I had some other things I wanted to ask but I can't remember them right now, if i think of them later i'll post.
And I understand that I could probably search and find the answer to some of these questions, but I feel that by asking them this way i'll probably get a better answer. I have a basic understanding of my above questions right now, but i'd like to have a better-than-basic understanding if you know what I mean.

Thanks in advance to anyone who responds to this, I appreciate the help.
Old 02-27-2009, 02:10 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

zero157h7 knows their stuffzero157h7 knows their stuffzero157h7 knows their stuffzero157h7 knows their stuffzero157h7 knows their stuffzero157h7 knows their stuffzero157h7 knows their stuff
Send a message via ICQ to zero157h7 Send a message via AIM to zero157h7 Send a message via MSN to zero157h7 Send a message via Yahoo to zero157h7 Send a message via Skype™ to zero157h7
Re: Looking for knowlegable people, please read

The advantages to custom rom is that you just get a device that works better most of the time. Different roms have different features so it is really something you have to learn. Some people like a super clean rom so they can customize what programs are installed. Some like a loaded rom that has programs already installed.

The advantages to the stock rom...

...you don't void your warranty. That is the only one I can think of, but it is not like you can't back track to cover up a custom rom.

As far as radios go, it will just depend. A radio can change your reception on cellular or gps, and it can affect battery life. It is best to get an idea what everyone likes the best if you do not want to jump around and test them all out.

A kitchen is where the ROM is cooked by chefs (ie this is a program on a pc to configure and build the rom.) If you learn to use wone you can cusomize the rom how you want it.

Most good custom roms out there have all of the neccessary tweaks need to speed up your device.

EDIT::: Best tip for someone new to flashing is do not do it until you have read a full tutorial for your device on how to do it. You need to know what you are doing or you will end up with a sexy paperweight.
Old 02-27-2009, 02:17 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Palm Pre

johndeere92 is keeping up the good workjohndeere92 is keeping up the good work
Send a message via MSN to johndeere92

Quote:
Originally Posted by shailigum View Post
Hey hows it goin guys...im new to the forums here and im new to windows mobile as well, just recently switched over to the mogul from the instinct and well im wayyy more satisfied with it than I ever was with my instinct.
Right now i'm running a custom ROM on my Mogul, Titanium v. something...it definately improved the usability of the device over the default OS, but still is a little laggy for my taste. Not to fear ill be getting a touch pro either tomorrow or monday so that's where my real interest currently lies.
Lemme get to my point.
Basically i'm here to introduce myself considering ill probably be spending alot of time here (and to be honest, at other forums as well) after I get my pro, and also cause I have some questions about stuff i'd like to understand. Before I ask anything i just wanna make it clear that i personally am very knowledgeable when it comes to techincal aspects of the computer world in general so I don't have too hard of a time understanding majority of things.
Now for my questions.

1. What is the difference between using the default sprint rom or a custom one? Advantages vs. disadvantages? What should I be considering in selecting a ROM for use? What's the best one? What is a 'kitchen'?

2. What is the difference between the different radios? What are the disadvantages/advantages of using different ones? What is the purpose of changing to a different radio? What's the best one?

3. Any important/useful tweaks/hacks/software I should know about to improve the usage of my device? If i'm going to be venturing into the world of 'custom ROM flashing' and 'radios' and etc, what else do I need to know? What different factors should I take into account that will affect the stability of my device?

I think I had some other things I wanted to ask but I can't remember them right now, if i think of them later i'll post.
And I understand that I could probably search and find the answer to some of these questions, but I feel that by asking them this way i'll probably get a better answer. I have a basic understanding of my above questions right now, but i'd like to have a better-than-basic understanding if you know what I mean.

Thanks in advance to anyone who responds to this, I appreciate the help.
1. Almost every Rom is tweaked for better performance, skins, and programs. Generally speaking the custom roms are created to improve things such as speed, battery life, and usability. Some people prefer the look and feel of a stock rom so really it's all up to your personal preferences. I recommend flashing all kinds of different roms and reading about them and noting what you like about each of them and then get the one that fits your preferences best or cook your own rom when you learn how. However, make sure you UNLOCK your Pro once you get it or you'll have a very expensive paper weight.
2. Different radios work better in different areas of the country..better reception..better signal.. service.. whatever..check here for more info.
3. Registry tweaking programs such as PHM RegEdit are good to have..but you should know how to use them first..lol..Advanced Config is a good program as well. I know for my Touch Diamond they have TF3D Config..but it says "Diamond TF3D Config" so I'm not sure if it's compatible with the Pro..you'd have to look into it. Different File Explorers such as Total Commander are good. Just read and read and read more..you'll figure it out lol

I hope this helped a bit..if I did..don't forget the thanks button..

Last edited by johndeere92; 02-27-2009 at 02:22 AM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:10 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

MicrosoftUser is a n00b

I tried MightyRom and it made my Touch Pro a brick. If it wasn't for me having the hookup with sprint and getting free phones I would have been pissed. Not saying it won't work for others, but it made mine a paper weight! I got a new one (free of course) but still pissed me off because I spent over 8 hours trying to get that rom to work and boot. I have my own custom rom and not to be selfish, but don't give it out to others. I do thank people when they help me and I have donated to some that have had great software. Not a noob either. Just be careful what you do with your phone cause if you don't know people, they won't take back a brick and swap out a new phone free of charge.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:46 AM
i don't miss blackberry
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S3
Carrier: Sprint PCS

ou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuff

i recommend mightrom. i was using copper since it came out, but i had a lot of problems with the gps and whatnot, so i'm using mighty now, and so far everything's working pretty well, minus a few second freeze here and there. i really recommend the telus radio, it has drastically reduced the amount of heat my phone makes while on a call. this comes into play when you're on a call and charging, cause the phone will heat up to the point to where it can't charge, which is very annoying to watch your phone die on the charger while on a conference call.

the most important thing i can think of is a good backup program. i love sprite backup personally....especially the explorer, where you can explorer the directory of a past update, and right click a file and have it sent directly to your phone through activesync. it definitely comes in handy. at least you won't be complaining that you lost all your info if you mess something up. just use your phone, the knowledge will come with time.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:57 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2
Carrier: Verizon

Keir333 knows their stuffKeir333 knows their stuffKeir333 knows their stuffKeir333 knows their stuffKeir333 knows their stuffKeir333 knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to Keir333 Send a message via Yahoo to Keir333 Send a message via Skype™ to Keir333

Welcome to the site, Shailigum

It sounds like you already know quite of bit of the technical jargon
when it comes to computers and phones. I'm sure you'll become a
productive contributing member to this site

Here's a link to a thread by GoodGets that explains alot about this site-

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=62330

It doesn't talk about flashing ROMs and customizing your Touch Pro, but
it's still a great place for all new members to start.

Hope this helps ya out, and if it does, don't forget to hit the
green "Thanks" button in the lower right corner

-Keir-
Old 04-23-2009, 02:38 AM
Give him the KICK!!!
Pocket PC: HTC EVO w/TP as a Back Up
Carrier: sprint

dschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keir333 View Post
Welcome to the site, Shailigum

It sounds like you already know quite of bit of the technical jargon
when it comes to computers and phones. I'm sure you'll become a
productive contributing member to this site

Here's a link to a thread by GoodGets that explains alot about this site-

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=62330

It doesn't talk about flashing ROMs and customizing your Touch Pro, but
it's still a great place for all new members to start.

Hope this helps ya out, and if it does, don't forget to hit the
green "Thanks" button in the lower right corner

-Keir-
Great post Keir. Nice call putting in the link to GoodGets thread. I'll thank you for that
dschoenike
Did ya enjoy your cereal today?

Old 04-23-2009, 03:20 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro 2

frazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfrazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfrazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfrazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfrazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Lots of great advice posted and I'm coming in sounding like a nag, but I don't want you to ruin your device...

You posted this thread in the Touch Pro forum, but stated you have the Mogul. You should really look at posting in the Mogul forum. Although the majority of us Touch Pro users had Moguls before our Touch Pros and can share a great deal of wealth with you in that area the stuff here isn't geared toward the Mogul. You run the risk of getting excited about a ROM you see here or might get carelessly linked to and bricking your device or other issues.

You can venture around and take Touch Pro stuff and etc. that would work fine on your Mogul, but you want to get comfortable before you start doing that.

Welcome to the world of WinMo .

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44 (Mogul/Titan Forum Link)
Old 04-23-2009, 03:25 AM
i don't miss blackberry
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S3
Carrier: Sprint PCS

ou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuff

oh wow, i must be tired, i didn't even catch the mogul part. yeah, don't listen to me.
Old 04-23-2009, 03:44 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2
Carrier: Verizon

Keir333 knows their stuffKeir333 knows their stuffKeir333 knows their stuffKeir333 knows their stuffKeir333 knows their stuffKeir333 knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to Keir333 Send a message via Yahoo to Keir333 Send a message via Skype™ to Keir333

Quote:
Originally Posted by dschoenike View Post
Great post Keir. Nice call putting in the link to GoodGets thread. I'll thank you for that
dschoenike
Did ya enjoy your cereal today?
Thanks for the "Thanks" Derek!
I like the new avatar

Breakfast was delicious

I always link to that thread when I see a new member
posting on the forum. GoodGets did such a great job
of explaining the site.

-Keir-

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro