PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2009, 12:16 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Alltel
Threadstarter

lowridin88 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Touch Pro problem receiving calls

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonstop View Post
Regarding missed calls and late voicemail:

Well theoretically it could be any of those things, as every situation is different. I think, however, in the majority of cases it's simply a common flaw in the Touch Pro.

I read about one guy on sprintusers.com who both him and his girlfriend had the Touch Pro, hers always worked and his missed calls (they lived together). The majority of people with a Touch Pro are previous Sprint users who didn't have an issue with their previous phone which also suggests it's a phone issue.

There is of course always the possibility of networks issues in each situation but I'm almost 100% certain this is a phone issue. What I'm not 100% certain about is if it's a problem every Touch Pro has that's only triggered in some instances, or if it's just a common flaw in a percentage of Touch Pros.

Regarding late text messages:

I think there are definitely some network issues here with Sprint, whether or not the phone contributes to this or not I'm not sure.

This is similar to my situation... I have touch pro, and the GF has touch pro. Both on same account, both alltel, both stock. Mine works in South Dakota, hers does not (can see the cell tower out my window)... When she goes home to Nebraska (Omaha) roaming on verizon it works just fine, which is really irritating. Seems network to me, but they said all systems checked out 100% ok. The tech support guy said they checked "every possible setting"
Old 02-09-2009, 04:20 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

lowridin88 is a n00b

Well just got done talking to the alltel store and "lighting up" there phone line HA HA.... Im getting a new phone on friday and i will see if it gets this fixed....
Old 02-09-2009, 04:27 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2 (Almost Here)
Carrier: Sprint

reyrey127 is just getting started

can those with problems indicate their build dates?? thanks.

rey
Old 02-09-2009, 04:32 PM
Account Disabled
Pocket PC: HTC Shooter/Schubert 32GB
Carrier: T-Mobile

Dr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by reyrey127 View Post
can those with problems indicate their build dates?? thanks.

rey
here's a whole thread with all the problems and build dates.http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread...pro+build+date
Old 02-09-2009, 05:39 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

lowridin88 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr8820 View Post
here's a whole thread with all the problems and build dates.http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread...pro+build+date

12-6-2008
Old 02-10-2009, 10:50 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Droid X
Carrier: Verizon

mikenerd is keeping up the good workmikenerd is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymatt View Post
Yes, I'll show 1, sometimes even 2 bars, and phone calls won't come in. I have this problem mainly at work, so I spent a while using my work phone to call my cell while my cell was in different "trouble" spots. I would monitor the signal by dialing ##DEBUG# (using the bars alone is kinda unreliable).

I posted my findings in another thread, but I'll summarize.

My phone setup: pretty much stock, but I did flash to the Telus radio. Didn't really see any improvement in anything, but didn't see anything negative, either, so didn't bother flashing back. I also did the "Roam Only" tweak so that I could test my results when roaming on Verizon.

First I wanted to see what Rx Power levels corresponded to what bar # is displayed. (I'm not sure the EXACT value it would change at, so I include the limits in both the high and low range)
It looks like anything worse than -105 dbm is 0 bars
-100 to -105 is 1 bar
-95 to -100 is 2 bars
-90 to -95 is 3 bars
-85 to -90 is 4 bars
-80 to -85 is 5 bars

Unfortunately there is another value that seems important to cell reception, and that is the Rx Ec/Io value (which someone said corresponds to signal noise, while the Power corresponds to strength), but this value doesn't seem to influence the "bars". It seems that 0-15 is good, 15-30 is ok, 30-45 is poor, and anything over 45 is really bad, and 60 or worse is unusable, but it might even be unusable at lower values. These aren't "accurate", since it was hard to control it (while the Power was easier to control, I would just place it farther from the window, or with more things "blocking" it). Also, these Ec/Io values seem to correlate with the Power values, but not 100% (ie usually poor Power means poor Ec/Io, but I've had poor Ec/Io even with good Power, and sometimes even vice versa)

So anyway, I've found that I do get slightly better signal (5-10 dbm better) with Verizon, but I'll still miss calls, even with forced roaming, especially if I have the phone in my pocket (where it is most of the time, unless I remember to put it on my desk, and where I have the most problems). The reason I point this out, though, is that with my previous setup, a Treo 700w on Verizon, I never missed calls ANYWHERE. Maybe since it is roaming, they aren't as generous with the service or something, but I would think that I'd at least get the same signal strength roaming on Verizon as I did when I was actually ON Verizon. This is what leads me to conclude that the Touch Pro (at least the one I own) has inferior signal reception, at least in comparison to the phones I've previously owned and operated on Verizon (Treo 700w, and prior to that an LG flip phone).

I've also noticed something that seems to complicate the problem, and that is that if I am on "Automatic" or "Sprint Only", and my Rx Power drops to worse than -105 (and usually the Ec/Io are bad also), then even when my Power and Ec/Io values drop to ~ -90 dbm and under 30 db, I still won't be able to receive a call, and sometimes my "bars" will go into "searching for signal" mode. I haven't been able to replicate this when set on "roaming only", so it makes me wonder if something about re-establishing a connection with Sprint takes longer than it should.

This could potentially cause more problems for me, since I seem to be in a "fringe" area (especially with my phone in my pocket...on my desk less than a foot away I'll have 3-4 bars), and dropping out of signal for just a couple of seconds will cause my phone to miss calls for the next minute or so.

Edit: also, I switched to Sprint from Verizon for a couple reasons. One "bonus" reason was to get the "better" (and cheaper!) Touch Pro, but the main reason was that having 900 minutes, and unlimited everything else (plus the "extra" stuff) on Sprint costs me less than half of what I paid for 450 minutes, unlimited data, locked (at the time) GPS, and none of the "extra" stuff, while on Verizon. I (perhaps erroneously) thought that being on Sprint I could at least roam on Verizon whenever I needed to, and Sprint supposedly has great signal in this area (just apparently not in the spot I spend most of the day in). Unfortunately, during my 30 day trial period I didn't notice that I was missing calls, and every time I looked at my bar level I was in the 1-3 bar range which seemed to be good enough. Of course about 2 days after my 30 days ended, I started having people ***** at me for never picking up my phone, and I realized that I was never even getting the calls (no missed call notifications, and they often didn't leave voicemails, but sometimes they would, and I'd usually get those notifications pretty instantly...which also annoys me. How is my phone so good at getting voicemail instantly, but 2 seconds earlier, in the same exat spot, the signal was't good enough to get a call).
I am in the exact same boat. I think my phone missed 1 or 2 calls during my first 30 days but I figured it was due to me forwarding my vzn # to my phone and some minor glitch there. As soon as my 30 days were up and I ported my number it started happening once or twice per week. lol.

I really want to try and nail down if its the phone or sprint. If its sprint, I might go back to vzn and just activate my TP there. The last thing I want is to go back to vzn and have the same problems with this TP. I am going to ask on the thread about putting out TP on vzn....
Old 02-11-2009, 12:48 AM
Regular 'Geeker

I asked over on the "Sprint Touch Pro on VZW Network Tutorial" thread and I got the response that it was a Sprint problem.....
Old 02-11-2009, 03:36 AM
N00b
Carrier: sprint

Atticus is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonstop View Post
Regarding missed calls and late voicemail:

Well theoretically it could be any of those things, as every situation is different. I think, however, in the majority of cases it's simply a common flaw in the Touch Pro.

I read about one guy on sprintusers.com who both him and his girlfriend had the Touch Pro, hers always worked and his missed calls (they lived together). The majority of people with a Touch Pro are previous Sprint users who didn't have an issue with their previous phone which also suggests it's a phone issue.

There is of course always the possibility of networks issues in each situation but I'm almost 100% certain this is a phone issue. What I'm not 100% certain about is if it's a problem every Touch Pro has that's only triggered in some instances, or if it's just a common flaw in a percentage of Touch Pros.

Regarding late text messages:

I think there are definitely some network issues here with Sprint, whether or not the phone contributes to this or not I'm not sure.
It could have been me you're talking about. I had sprint replace my phone and im still having issues. I get text messages only if i send out a text. So for example. (by the way i only have this issue at home) ill send my g.f a text, she text's me back, and along with her text ill get text messages my buddies sent me the night before. The messages have the time they sent the messages as well.

I called sprint and they told me they have no clue as my location is by a good tower. They said its very possible that my phone is connected to a bad tower, while my g.fs phone is connected to a good tower. My ticket is on going and this has been going on for a quite some time now. And ive lost very important clients beacuse of this issue as well. Looks like im going to have to switch providers.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:37 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

lowridin88 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
It could have been me you're talking about. I had sprint replace my phone and im still having issues. I get text messages only if i send out a text. So for example. (by the way i only have this issue at home) ill send my g.f a text, she text's me back, and along with her text ill get text messages my buddies sent me the night before. The messages have the time they sent the messages as well.

I called sprint and they told me they have no clue as my location is by a good tower. They said its very possible that my phone is connected to a bad tower, while my g.fs phone is connected to a good tower. My ticket is on going and this has been going on for a quite some time now. And ive lost very important clients beacuse of this issue as well. Looks like im going to have to switch providers.
Wow sounds Oh too familiar!!! Ill have a new phone on friday, so i will see if that helps me.... If not alltel is gonna be getting some phone calls...
Old 02-11-2009, 12:30 PM
Regular 'Geeker

I used to have youmail when I was on vzn and it would send me a text, with the number, when I missed a call even if there was no vm left. I thought I would set up on this phone but I see that Sprint charges 20 cents a minute for call forwarding of any kind. that stinks.

Also, has changing your slot cycle index helped this problem at all? I changed from 2 to 1 and my try 0.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro