PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2008, 11:27 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint

Grateful Dave is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Can you explain a few terms to a Newbie?

Hi!

I wanted to learn more about how to improve and customize my PPC (HTC Touch Pro). Would someone take the time to explain some of the terms? It would be a useful sticky. What do terms like Flash and Kitchen mean? I know what the ROM is, but what does installing someone else's ROM accomplish? Is there somewhere I can learn more of the basic concepts so that I and others can understand these discussions a little better? Thanks!

David
Old 12-26-2008, 08:18 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Evo / TP / TP2

JohnBecker is keeping up the good workJohnBecker is keeping up the good work
Re: Can you explain a few terms to a Newbie?

It's been covered elsewhere... but the basics are as follows:

Flash(ing): Installing and replacing the standard operating system that appears on the device

Unlocking: Preparing the unit to be flashed. All units are initially locked by the carrier. You must unlock the device before you can properly flash a unit.

Kitchen: A ROM base (usually from Microsoft) along with several patches and other programs that can be added like ingredients to a stew. Once everything has been added, a new ROM is produced. Essentially, it's the same OS, but with different applications and tweaks. No two are exactly the same. It's recommended that you are familiar with the knowledge of the OS and what works best before attempting to work with a kitchen.

As a word of caution... you can damage your expensive equipment by flashing the wrong ROM or an incomplete ROM. The act of flashing a device also voids the warranty of the device (according to the carriers). If you must return a device to the store, you should reflash the original ROM and lock the device first.

Everyone is a 'newbie' once. Read and observe. You'll learn from the masters. Most of us have patience with newbies, but don't push your luck. Search is your friend. You can find most answers by searching. However, be careful and read fully before you flash your phone. It's helpful to start reading the stickied threads and then pawing through the ROM threads. Read before you post a question. It may have already been answered a dozen times already.

EVO 4G ... after 8 years of Windows Mobile devices, I've given up on WM toys and switched to Android. This is the way mobile should have been!
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 12-26-2008, 08:49 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Galaxy Note II
Carrier: Verizon

Geekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via MSN to Geekcop

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBecker View Post

As a word of caution... you can damage your expensive equipment by flashing the wrong ROM or an incomplete ROM. The act of flashing a device also voids the warranty of the device (according to the carriers). If you must return a device to the store, you should reflash the original ROM and lock the device first.

Everyone is a 'newbie' once. Read and observe. You'll learn from the masters. Most of us have patience with newbies, but don't push your luck. Search is your friend. You can find most answers by searching. However, be careful and read fully before you flash your phone. It's helpful to start reading the stickied threads and then pawing through the ROM threads. Read before you post a question. It may have already been answered a dozen times already.
Welcome to Geekdom! Can't emphasize the above warnings enough. Make sure you have a good understanding of your device and it's capabilities, as well as confidence in your abilities before you attempt to flash a new ROM. Spend lots of time on the forums related to your device, as there's a tremendous amount info to absorb, both relating to your device and WM in general. Don't be in a hurry to cook/flash a custom ROM. The last thing you want to do is turn a perfectly good PPC into a $400 doorstop.

Last edited by Geekcop; 12-26-2008 at 08:51 PM.
Old 12-26-2008, 10:03 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: EVO 3D

scrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geekcop View Post
Welcome to Geekdom! Can't emphasize the above warnings enough. Make sure you have a good understanding of your device and it's capabilities, as well as confidence in your abilities before you attempt to flash a new ROM. Spend lots of time on the forums related to your device, as there's a tremendous amount info to absorb, both relating to your device and WM in general. Don't be in a hurry to cook/flash a custom ROM. The last thing you want to do is turn a perfectly good PPC into a $400 doorstop.
Excellent advice!!! Especially about the part of learning you device FIRST!

Donations always accepted but never expected!
Old 12-26-2008, 10:08 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G, Blackberry Bold

Deval is keeping up the good workDeval is keeping up the good work

And, from what I've seen on this site from the time I've been a member, make sure you follow every step along the way when modifying your phone. The biggest mistake which I see is failure to 'unlock' the phone.

Just a small heads up.
My replies and comments contain my opinion on the matters which have been posted, and do not represent the rules, policies and regulations of my employer and should not be taken as such.
Old 12-29-2008, 01:08 PM
Coz-erator
Pocket PC: Sprint Galaxy Note 2 & other misc digital devices

CozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to CozBoogie Send a message via Yahoo to CozBoogie

Moved to general Touch Pro Forum.

late,
Coz
Old 12-29-2008, 01:08 PM
Coz-erator
Pocket PC: Sprint Galaxy Note 2 & other misc digital devices

CozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to CozBoogie Send a message via Yahoo to CozBoogie

And closed.

late,
Coz
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro