PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Can you explain a few terms to a Newbie? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=50640)

Grateful Dave 12-26-2008 11:27 AM

Can you explain a few terms to a Newbie?

Hi!

I wanted to learn more about how to improve and customize my PPC (HTC Touch Pro). Would someone take the time to explain some of the terms? It would be a useful sticky. What do terms like Flash and Kitchen mean? I know what the ROM is, but what does installing someone else's ROM accomplish? Is there somewhere I can learn more of the basic concepts so that I and others can understand these discussions a little better? Thanks!

David

JohnBecker 12-26-2008 08:18 PM

Re: Can you explain a few terms to a Newbie?

It's been covered elsewhere... but the basics are as follows:

Flash(ing): Installing and replacing the standard operating system that appears on the device

Unlocking: Preparing the unit to be flashed. All units are initially locked by the carrier. You must unlock the device before you can properly flash a unit.

Kitchen: A ROM base (usually from Microsoft) along with several patches and other programs that can be added like ingredients to a stew. Once everything has been added, a new ROM is produced. Essentially, it's the same OS, but with different applications and tweaks. No two are exactly the same. It's recommended that you are familiar with the knowledge of the OS and what works best before attempting to work with a kitchen.

As a word of caution... you can damage your expensive equipment by flashing the wrong ROM or an incomplete ROM. The act of flashing a device also voids the warranty of the device (according to the carriers). If you must return a device to the store, you should reflash the original ROM and lock the device first.

Everyone is a 'newbie' once. Read and observe. You'll learn from the masters. Most of us have patience with newbies, but don't push your luck. :) Search is your friend. You can find most answers by searching. However, be careful and read fully before you flash your phone. It's helpful to start reading the stickied threads and then pawing through the ROM threads. Read before you post a question. It may have already been answered a dozen times already.

Geekcop 12-26-2008 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnBecker (Post 601877)

As a word of caution... you can damage your expensive equipment by flashing the wrong ROM or an incomplete ROM. The act of flashing a device also voids the warranty of the device (according to the carriers). If you must return a device to the store, you should reflash the original ROM and lock the device first.

Everyone is a 'newbie' once. Read and observe. You'll learn from the masters. Most of us have patience with newbies, but don't push your luck. :) Search is your friend. You can find most answers by searching. However, be careful and read fully before you flash your phone. It's helpful to start reading the stickied threads and then pawing through the ROM threads. Read before you post a question. It may have already been answered a dozen times already.

Welcome to Geekdom! Can't emphasize the above warnings enough. Make sure you have a good understanding of your device and it's capabilities, as well as confidence in your abilities before you attempt to flash a new ROM. Spend lots of time on the forums related to your device, as there's a tremendous amount info to absorb, both relating to your device and WM in general. Don't be in a hurry to cook/flash a custom ROM. The last thing you want to do is turn a perfectly good PPC into a $400 doorstop.

scrosler 12-26-2008 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geekcop (Post 601911)
Welcome to Geekdom! Can't emphasize the above warnings enough. Make sure you have a good understanding of your device and it's capabilities, as well as confidence in your abilities before you attempt to flash a new ROM. Spend lots of time on the forums related to your device, as there's a tremendous amount info to absorb, both relating to your device and WM in general. Don't be in a hurry to cook/flash a custom ROM. The last thing you want to do is turn a perfectly good PPC into a $400 doorstop.

Excellent advice!!! Especially about the part of learning you device FIRST!

Deval 12-26-2008 10:08 PM

And, from what I've seen on this site from the time I've been a member, make sure you follow every step along the way when modifying your phone. The biggest mistake which I see is failure to 'unlock' the phone.

Just a small heads up.

CozBoogie 12-29-2008 01:08 PM

Moved to general Touch Pro Forum.

late,
Coz

CozBoogie 12-29-2008 01:08 PM

And closed.

late,
Coz