PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2008, 03:42 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

whinecellar is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Mac users: success with Missing Sync or Syncmate?

Howdy,

I've tried both Missing Sync and Syncmate, and for the life of me I can't get either one to see my Touch Pro. I'm an advanced Mac user and I've followed both apps' instructions to a 't' - but I'm just not getting anywhere. Anything I should be looking for on the Touch Pro itself? I'm running stock - no 3rd party stuff yet...

In the Missing Sync troubleshooting guide they talk about using a program called USB switch to change "from RNDIS To SERIAL" but there's no such program on the TP that I can find (I may be an advanced Mac user but I'm new to WinMo... go easy on me!) Any idea how to check for that setting on the TP?

I find it interesting that Missing Sync says to uncheck "Enable advanced network functionality" in USB to PC settings, while Syncmate says it should be checked. I tried it both ways with each app and it made no difference.

Also, my Mac definitely sees the phone when it's connected, but the two apps won't. I also tried a fresh installation on a whole different Mac - same result. That leads me to believe there's something not set right on the Touch Pro...

Any help would be seriously appreciated!

Thanks...
Old 11-12-2008, 05:03 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC touch PRO

cssmostdumbest is a n00b
Re: Mac users: success with Missing Sync or Syncmate?

it works for me, your phone has to be in activesync mode. as soon as i plug my tp in activesync mode in in the WM connection come up. i use missing sync but be warned when you sync the pics on your contacts it messes up the people tab making it useless until you erase the ones with the pics from your mac
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:34 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cssmostdumbest View Post
it works for me, your phone has to be in activesync mode. as soon as i plug my tp in activesync mode in in the WM connection come up. i use missing sync but be warned when you sync the pics on your contacts it messes up the people tab making it useless until you erase the ones with the pics from your mac
Thanks for the reply. Do you mind if I ask for specifics, because I have tried EVERYTHING, and it simply will not work for me.

- is your TP stock or are you running any 3rd party stuff?
- what's your Mac setup: machine, OS version, etc.
- do you have "Enable advanced network functionality" checked or not in USB to PC settings?
- which version of Missing Sync are you running? I'm on 4.0.3 and have also tried the new 4.0.4 beta...
- did you have to manually install any Missing Sync CABs on your TP or did it do everything automatically?

I feel like something dumb is just not set right somewhere. I have uninstalled/reinstalled Missing Sync, even on different computers, and it won't work on any of them which tells me it's on the TP side. I may resort to a hard reset on the TP, because otherwise I'm out of options.

Thanks again for your help!
Old 11-12-2008, 10:33 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Nexus S 4G

Merovingian is becoming a great contributor

Missing Sync just requires your TP to be in ActiveSync mode (uncheck "Enable advanced network functionality"). First time you run it, a windows pops up, don't dismiss it. When you plug in your TP, it starts installing th MissingSync cab file on the TP. Once it's finished, choose what you want to sync and then sync.

Syncmate is a bit odd and weird but works too and they have a free basic version. Now you have to be in ActiveSync USB mode (and "Enable advanced network functionality" MUST be checked) else it wouldn't recognise via USB.

I've used them both (and currently prefer MissingSync) on iMac and MacBook Pro all on 10.5.5, stock T.P.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 11-13-2008, 12:16 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Alrighty, I found out what the problem was. With ActiveSync running, there's a menu item called 'synchronize all pc's using this connection' - it needs to be checked, and it wasn't. All that drama because of a setting I'm not sure I would have found...

Anyway, all is well - FINALLY. A big thanks for your help!

Jim
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:55 PM
N00b

AxeYrCat is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by cssmostdumbest View Post
i use missing sync but be warned when you sync the pics on your contacts it messes up the people tab making it useless until you erase the ones with the pics from your mac
Argh. I wish I had searched before I synced and then ultimately hard reset. Grumble.

So, what's the way around that? Add your pics of people to your address book and then sync to the phone?

I'm about to give it a shot that way... Will report back.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:38 PM
N00b

dthurman is just getting started

I found the syncing apps for a Mac way to slow when transfering music files over. The external drive option is 10X's faster. I ended up using Google for syncing my contacts and calendar with Googles iCal app to then sync iCal with Google Calendar (I know a round about way, but still faster and I got web based calendaring). Almost all the apps load I just use a .cab file.

I don't recall which one, but when plugged into my MacBook Pro, it would kill my Sprint USB card if my phone was syncing. I am sure it was me and a dumb setting.
Old 04-09-2009, 06:57 AM
N00b

AxeYrCat is just getting started

Things that I have learned:
1. (Most important) If adding a contact to the People tab makes it crash, change the image for that person, and it'll be fine.
2. Even if you sync your Address Book contacts with an Exchange Server and then sync from that Exchange server, the images will still break the People tab.
3. Even though I have the most up-to-date version of Address Book, I don't seem to be able to share contacts with Google as one should be able to.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro