PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2008, 12:38 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo
Carrier: Sprint

mharvey is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Touch Pro Keyboard problem?

I just got my Touch Pro and I seem to have a problem with my phone unless I am misunderstanding how the keyboard is supposed to work.

When I try to write an email or a text message using the slide out keyboard I see the screen rotate and the keyboard backlight activate... for about a second. Then the screen flips back, the keypad backlight goes out and the hard buttons (home, back, talk, end) light up. It stays this way for about a second and then flips back again. It will keep flipping back and forth continuously as long as I have the keyboard out. As soon as I close the keyboard everything flips back to normal.

This makes the keyboard all but unusable. Am I doing something wrong here? Is there a setting somewhere that could be causing this or do I have a bad phone?
Old 10-25-2008, 12:43 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Evo 3d

sundevil07 is just getting started
Re: Touch Pro Keyboard problem?

try a hard reset.
Old 10-25-2008, 01:15 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

phat78boy is becoming a great contributor

I'm assuming you tried a soft reset first. If that doesn't work, I would uninstall any other apps you might have installed and as a last resort a hard reset.
Old 10-25-2008, 01:23 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

I tried a soft reset and that did not help. I have not installed anything at all on the phone. I bought and activated it at Best Buy and the first thing I tried to do on the phone was send a text using the keyboard. This is when I first saw the problem with the screen flipping constantly when the keyboard is out.
Old 10-25-2008, 10:54 AM
ѕнρ ѕоfтшаяє
Pocket PC: EVO4G
Carrier: sprinт

Cicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIP

Try calibrating the G-Sensor and see if that's the problem.
Old 10-25-2008, 11:11 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

I tried that a few times before I realized that the G-Sensor does not seem to be the problem. I say that because the screen will rotate fine and stay that way in Opera and Sprint TV (when the keyboard is closed).

The strange part is that the problem does not happen all the time. I just opened up "Notes" and if I flip the keyboard open it is working just fine. I was able to type a note using the keyboard and it worked fine. I could open and close the keyboard and it worked as expected.

Then I closed the keyboard, closed notes, and tried to send a text message using the keyboard. Now it is flipping again. I close the text messaging app and go back to Notes and now it will not work as before. Very strange.

I also noticed that if I let the phone sit there with the keyboard open and the screen flipping back and forth every second that the phone never turns off the screen and sleeps (like it does if you let it sit for about 30 seconds normally). It is being kept awake because it thinks I am opening and closing the keyboard constantly.

Here is a link to a video demonstration:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jh2yvLHAYbg

Last edited by mharvey; 10-25-2008 at 11:51 AM.
Old 10-25-2008, 12:01 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: TPro -TP2
Carrier: Sprint/AT&T

gatolsf is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mharvey View Post
I tried that a few times before I realized that the G-Sensor does not seem to be the problem. I say that because the screen will rotate fine and stay that way in Opera and Sprint TV (when the keyboard is closed).

The strange part is that the problem does not happen all the time. I just opened up "Notes" and if I flip the keyboard open it is working just fine. I was able to type a note using the keyboard and it worked fine. I could open and close the keyboard and it worked as expected.

Then I closed the keyboard, closed notes, and tried to send a text message using the keyboard. Now it is flipping again. I close the text messaging app and go back to Notes and now it will not work as before. Very strange.

I also noticed that if I let the phone sit there with the keyboard open and the screen flipping back and forth every second that the phone never turns off the screen and sleeps (like it does if you let it sit for about 30 seconds normally). It is being kept awake because it thinks I am opening and closing the keyboard constantly.

Here is a link to a video demonstration:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jh2yvLHAYbg
i'll say take it back and get another one.
Old 10-25-2008, 12:09 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Droid
Carrier: Verizon

shark1987 is keeping up the good workshark1987 is keeping up the good work

yea, could be a faulty sensor, and since you got it yesterday just go switch it out. no reason trying to fix it when you don't have to.
Old 10-25-2008, 01:23 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

I may do that but I have already been in 4 Best Buys in the last 24 hours looking for the phone. My 4yr old says that he does not want to go to any more best buys for a while! I may just play with it a while to figure out what is going on. At the moment it is working fine. I would prefer to deal with the people in my Sprint store so I may wait until they get the phones in to get it exchanged if that is what it takes.
Old 10-25-2008, 01:31 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond

iamjasonc is just getting started

it wouldnt be because it's laying flat would it? I always have problems with my accelerometer recognizing orientation when my phone is on its back...just a though. I don't really know much about troubleshooting.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro