PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2010, 04:01 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Verizon

TPMJB is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Phone just vibrates when starting up. No bootloader/welcome, think I'm bricked.

I think I'm screwed, but I thought I might as well ask before I set this phone aflame.

For no apparent reason my phone started vibrating and just wouldn't stop. Since nothing responded I did the sensical thing and removed the battery. Now when I press power, it vibrates once, nothing for a bit, then vibrates again (infinite loop). No screen. I tried booting in bootloader mode and I still get no response from the screen (but no vibration).

There probably isn't any saving this phone, but just in case, what can I do? It might have gotten wet, I'm not sure.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:18 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Carrier: Sprint

BikerSk8rKid is just getting started
Send a message via MSN to BikerSk8rKid Send a message via Yahoo to BikerSk8rKid
Re: Phone just vibrates when starting up. No bootloader/welcome, think I'm bricked.

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread...hlight=Bricked
Old 05-29-2010, 11:52 AM
N00b
Threadstarter

Re: Phone just vibrates when starting up. No bootloader/welcome, think I'm bricked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerSk8rKid View Post
I don't mean to be rude, but I just said I can't get to my bootloader. I can't do anything in that thread obviously.
Old 05-29-2010, 02:27 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

eXcali is keeping up the good workeXcali is keeping up the good work

Any chance it got water damage?

You could also take it apart and make sure the ribbon connection between the screen and motherboard are secure. In the couple of times I've taken mine apart, when that cable pops loose during reassembly the phone vibrates, but no screen change or sound.
Old 05-29-2010, 02:57 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

BikerSk8rKid is just getting started
Send a message via MSN to BikerSk8rKid Send a message via Yahoo to BikerSk8rKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPMJB View Post
I don't mean to be rude, but I just said I can't get to my bootloader. I can't do anything in that thread obviously.
Na it's cool, I was beyound tire and did a fast search. Hopping it would help you out.
Old 05-30-2010, 03:07 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC EVO/no root

jpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to jpwhre Send a message via MSN to jpwhre Send a message via Yahoo to jpwhre

i just went thru this. the phone is done. it's not bricked. when you catch the moment when it will come on, flash the stock updated rom from 9-25-09. while it is doing the few second vibs, use your stylis and keep hitting soft reset til it comes on. when it starts, flash it and it will relock it too, then get it replaced. mine was doing it too, took a day of messing with it til it came back on, would stay on for a min, or 3 hours. sometimes it would just shut off and go into vib loop and then start back up again out of the blue. final straw was having to hold the soft reset button in to keep phone on, if i let go it would go into vib loop again.

just give it a whirl. i took it to corp store at first and they said it couldn't be fixed. do a backup with wmdc, or microsoft my phone while it is on again.

EDIT: i always use stock rom, and it still happened. althoug i have about 60 apps on sd card running on device. i even hard reset and put just my contacts on and it still was doing it. just try and get it going again to get it back to stock (if it's not there to begin with) and then do a claim.

Last edited by jpwhre; 05-30-2010 at 03:15 AM.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:31 AM
N00b
Threadstarter

I've pretty much written it off. It seems to do the vib loop no matter what. Unfortunately replacing is not an option, unless it has a warranty.

I feel a tad embarrassed to say this, but it probably is water damage. I clean my screen sometimes with glass cleaner (to be fair, this is probably the 13th time I've done it) and I think some leaked into the keyboard. I mean, it took a good three hours for it to apparently affect it, but that's all I can think of.

Eh, I bought an LG fathom for 179 with a bad ESN. I've got CDMA workshop (that I paid for) so I should be able to fix it. It just sucks that I'm forced to replace it, and stuck with my Samsung Alias for the time being. There were some quirky things that I didn't like with HTC's rendition of WinMO (namely the texting lag) So I guess I'll see if this one is any different.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:55 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Samsung Saga
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

theartofruin is a n00b

Are they indicators under the battery cover and on the battery still white? I know they can turn red from sweat or steam from a shower, but it can't hurt you to look. And I realize this might not be indicative of your problem, but who knows.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:59 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro(Sprint version)
Carrier: Vzw

botnryan is keeping up the good workbotnryan is keeping up the good work

is it charging while it does the vib loop? i had this happen once and was like WTF but then i popped open the back, took the battery out and pulled the battery contact prongs out a little and it started working just fine. the battery wasnt getting good contact so the only thing even allowing it to vib loop was the power it was getting from charging, which was not enough to actually boot up.
Old 06-05-2010, 01:42 AM
N00b
Threadstarter

WTF?! Discharged it completely somehow...put some charge into it and now it magically works.

I am upset that I just spent money on a new phone...

Edit: Well it doesn't boot completely, but I've got bootloader. Let's try flashing a rom hrm?

EDIT EDIT: Weird, it won't stay booted. It will boot for a while, but when I move it, or if I just leave it alone, it will randomly reboot. I don't understand it at all. It's almost as if there's a short.

EDIT EDIT EDIT: Flashed new energy rom, works fine. No rebooting or anything. USB to PC doesn't work though, and hasn't for quite some time.

Last edited by TPMJB; 06-06-2010 at 03:10 AM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Tags
brick vibrate boot