PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2009, 09:19 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Verizon TP2
Carrier: Verizon

HTC Touch-Pro is keeping up the good workHTC Touch-Pro is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Arrow My Holy Grail of TP2 hack-question... Wifi Networking with PS3???

Hey guys (and gals? lol)

I know this question has been asked before, and on several forums I have been told it wasn't possible due to a non-supportive Ad-Hoc capability within the Wii (and I think PS3 as well), but that was a while ago, and I know firmware changes happen often, as well as the ongoing hacking and programming from the legions of tech-savvy wizards out there - so I thought I'd ask again.

I do not have true internet service at my home, because I have been using my TP1 for a long time to tether to my machines, but as I have chronicled in the TP1 sub-forum over the past couple weeks, I am being upgraded to a TP2 from the TP1, it's already in the mail according to FedEx tracking...

I'm trying to share my Verizon TP2's Internet connection, through a WiFi hotspot/access point sharing, with the PS3. I have heard of WalkingHotSpot, and another similar program (WMWIFIrouter), but I am unsure if they convert the WiFi signal into an Ad-Hoc connection, and if there is ANY WAY to get the Ad-Hoc to play nice with the PS3, so I can take advantage of all the on-line benefits of the console? (*I've NEVER had, or played a PS3... I JUST BOUGHT ONE YESTERDAY, and I'm so excited about it, but I want to get the full-use advantage from it as well - which means internet)

Does anyone know of a remedy to this problem I'm sure a lot of people face? If not a quick 1-2 solution with a WiFi broadcasting software... what about something like: Hook my phone up to my laptop, turn my laptops (WindowsXP) internet connection sharing ON, and run an ethernet cable from my laptop to the back of my PS3?

Or... Option 3: If WiFi hotspot broadcasting AND Internet Connection Sharing (above) don't work... could I do TP2 -> Laptop -> Wireless Access Point -> Sends out WiFi Signal -> Masks the fact it is an Ad-Hoc -> PS3 online (using something like this: http://cnettv.cnet.com/make-your-lap..._53-28619.html)!! (?)

THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH!!!!!

PS: Doesn't HTC have their own, hopefully now stable, TP2 Internet Hotspot Sharing software that is free (well, free with their $600 phone)?

Last edited by HTC Touch-Pro; 11-29-2009 at 10:02 AM.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:27 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: power pc? um my ps3 uses that.
Carrier: sprint - HTCTP2

nntb is a n00b
Re: My Holy Grail of TP2 hack-question... Wifi Networking with PS3???

on mighty rom on sprint i was able to get my ps3 to sign into the psn using just the internet sharing on my rhodiumW with mighty rom. so no issues there but thats sprint
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:29 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

HTC Touch-Pro is keeping up the good workHTC Touch-Pro is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by nntb View Post
on mighty rom on sprint i was able to get my ps3 to sign into the psn using just the internet sharing on my rhodiumW with mighty rom. so no issues there but thats sprint
THIS gives me hope! Thanks so much...

So do I have to custom install a new ROM (mighty) in order to bypass the Ad-Hoc masking? I take it PS3 doesn't like Ad-Hoc either, like the Wii?

Verizon shouldn't be that different I would think, as long as the devices are identical and the ROM's are also identical. I just need to figure out the custom ROM installs one my TP2 comes in the mail this week...

FINGERS CROSSED!!!
Old 11-29-2009, 11:21 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: power pc? um my ps3 uses that.
Carrier: sprint - HTCTP2

nntb is a n00b

be sure you read the part about people getting 100$$ charges on other networks i think varizon was one of them mightyrom.com is the site for the rom
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:32 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
be sure you read the part about people getting 100$$ charges on other networks i think varizon was one of them mightyrom.com is the site for the rom
Eeee-yikes....

I used over 6gb of data last month on my bill, and they didn't charge me extra at all, and while at Alltel, I used over 11gb one month before the switch, and never heard anything about it. (I use my cell phone for tethering exclusively, so everything I do on Netflix, Hulu, downloads, Windows Update etc are ALL through my cell phone).

My Verizon bill that came last month with the 6gb of data usage said "Unlimited" beside it on the billing breakdown; - if this has happened to someone from Verizon or elsewhere before, did they successfully get it removed? The WinMo phones are made for tethering, and I've been doing it for a little over 3 years without a hitch on billing, I hope it stays that way! Thanks for the heads up
Old 11-29-2009, 11:46 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO
Carrier: Sprint

Spiderman313 knows their stuffSpiderman313 knows their stuffSpiderman313 knows their stuffSpiderman313 knows their stuffSpiderman313 knows their stuffSpiderman313 knows their stuffSpiderman313 knows their stuff
Send a message via Skype™ to Spiderman313

[QUOTE=nntb;1370891]on mighty rom on sprint i was able to get my ps3 to sign into the psn using just the internet sharing on my rhodiumW with mighty rom. so no issues there but thats sprint[/QUOTE

How was you able to do that?

Old 11-29-2009, 11:51 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Check this link out... never tried it or heard feedback on it - but it's one of two ways I just found online that PS3 users are claiming works!

1st Option - Ethernet Crossover (here): http://www.ps3chat.com/playstation-3...ut-router.html
2nd Option - Cradlepoint Wifi Access Point Router (here): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16875997433
Old 11-30-2009, 10:46 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

rruelas is a n00b

a few years ago, my brother in law didnt have broadband but his neighbor did. He would just use his neighbors wifi signal. He wanted to somehow connect his xbox to the net. We were able to get it to work by making a crossover ethernet cable ( you can buy one of course) and connect it directly from his laptop to his xbox. Then we set up network sharing on his laptop. there is a tutorial built into windows that will guide you. Just select the option that lets you connect to a computer that is directly connected to the internet. When he wanted to use xbox live, you log on to his neighbors wifi signal, then he would connect to the internet using his xbox. he used it for years until his neighbor moved a few months ago. Im sure you could do the same thing. tether the phone to the laptop or desktop, connect to the net using the phone, then log on to xbox live or the PSNetwork using the crossover ethernet cable. This will not work with a straight through ethernet cable.

Last edited by rruelas; 11-30-2009 at 10:51 PM.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:15 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Juggs is in the MOMENT

Yay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the community

i use my tethered connection via ethernet cable connected to my ps3...using wifirouter it puts it in ad hoc and doesnt get recognized at all. just a heads up.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:55 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

jimmy2442 is a n00b

Quote:
this problem has been fixed, just make sure you download the fixes in the thread about it

heres the thread: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=96739

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2