PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2009, 02:41 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: lg optimus
Carrier: Sprint

dishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Too many roms!

/begin rant
Am I the only one who feels like lately this part of the forum has gotten a bit out of control?

I mean, it seems like every yokel who figures out how to use some kitchen tools wants to share their ROM with the world.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that, if you've built a kick-@#$ ROM, share it with the world... tell us what you did, collaborate and allow the community as a whole to grow and tweak... but there's got to be a better way to present all of this than by creating thread titles with crazy ASCII characters to grab attention and claiming each is the "fastest and cleanest!", etc...
I'm new to the TP2 scene, having finally decided to try out the new device despite some design concepts I'm not fond of (lack of a D-pad, for one). I usually get used to a device, then look into what I want to "tweak", and see what others have discovered and already done.

The TP2 section was never relevant to me before, especially because the HardSPL wasn't out until recently. Now, there are so many roms in this forum... each one with users proclaiming it to be "the best, I've tried all the others and THIS is the one I'm sticking with!"

I recognize some of the names from previous devices... and I recognize some I found weren't the "fastest" or "most stable" despite what people proclaimed. This has actually led to a lot of frustrated first time users, and even some bitter old timers. Some folks almost left the WM scene entirely because of how difficult it was becoming to follow the scene.

I'm not here to propose a solution to all this, this is more of a "I've had a long day and want to share my opinions with the rest of you" sort of rant.
If people DIDN'T post their roms, we might be depriving the community of something great. I guess what I'm trying to say is that we need to post more responsibly around here.

Some of you newbies probably don't recognize my name- I've been too busy to post on the forum much lately (still hang out in the IRC room, but ever since the link was taken off the forum, it seems the communities have been divided)... but at the very least I'd like to warn first-time-flashers not to go all ga-ga with the first ROM you encounter that is better than stock. Play with it for a couple of days and compare it to other ROMs before you post. Please, for the good of the forum... it would make this a more pleasant place to hang out and exchange information.

"OMFG, THIS IS THE BEST ROM EVER AND I CAN'T BELIEVE I EVAR USED N-E-THING ELSE!"
...followed a day later by the same poster saying:
"OMFG, I USED ALL THE OTHER ROMS AND THEY'RE CRAP! *THIS* IS THE BEST ROM EVER!!"
...followed again by a post from the same user:
"OMFG- THIS ROM IS SO SMOOOOOTH! WAY BETTER THAN THOSE FIRST 5 I TRIED!"
...followed a couple of days later by:
"OMFG, I'VE DECIDED TO BUILD MY OWN ROM! THE OTHER ROMS OUT HERE ARE CRAP! MY ROM IS THE BEST AND MOST STABLE ROM EVER!"

Ugh. Where's no2chem and DCD when you need 'em?

/end rant

EDIT: It has come to my attention that this may technically be the incorrect location for this post. In my opinion, it belongs in this section because people who coming here looking for ROMs should read it, and would not otherwise.

EDIT 2: It looks like this thread has been moved around, which sort of makes some of the references to "here" kind of awkward. Originally posted in the TP2 Upgrades section.

Last edited by dishe; 11-16-2009 at 01:01 PM.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 11-16-2009, 03:06 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Evo

racemepls knows their stuffracemepls knows their stuffracemepls knows their stuffracemepls knows their stuffracemepls knows their stuffracemepls knows their stuffracemepls knows their stuff
Re: Too many roms!

You think it's bad now, you should've seen when Technology1 was posting new roms every five minutes.
Old 11-16-2009, 03:12 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: touch pro, tp2, epic, evo x2
Carrier: D/\SH_SPEED

D/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

i odnt understand the problem.... everyone has to start somewhere... mightymike started and no one paid attention to his roms than bam out of nowhere he is mightymike that we know today. the more chefs out there sharing the knowledge and getting people interested in modding is the best thing that can happen to a forum since that mean tey are going to grow and get only smarter people on the site and teach the others at the same time. i wouldnt ever discriminate against someone for trying ot learn and also sharing their work with the world. think of this, what if mightymike, juicy, nrgz, scottcc, merdinh, and the other great chefs retired and stopped building. many users including prolly you that dont know how to build would be relying on these people to get our fix on the roms that are being built.... this is nothing but good and cant really put a grasp on why it could be deemed as a bad thing to have this happening...

rant over.
This post has been thanked 6 times.
Old 11-16-2009, 03:28 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: lg optimus
Threadstarter

dishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on rep

hah- did I strike a nerve?

Dash, I remember you, dude... but do you remember me? (seems like u may not, judging by the tone here)
Old 11-16-2009, 03:30 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: touch pro
Carrier: sprint

markppc6700 is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via Yahoo to markppc6700

same with xda its nothing new, i use to go through the same with my tytn 2.

honestly just try them all and see what u like. I can decide if i like a rom in a matter or hrs and right now i am on cfay and i am liking it (not loving) but for me it is the best rom out there and its not loaded with logos and stuff to remind you who built the rom.
Old 11-16-2009, 03:37 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: touch pro, tp2, epic, evo x2
Carrier: D/\SH_SPEED

D/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishe View Post
hah- did I strike a nerve?

Dash, I remember you, dude... but do you remember me? (seems like u may not, judging by the tone here)
sorry cant say that i do remember you sorry, and naw didnt strike a nerve really i always speak straight forward and just speak my mind and respect the other opinion but will always defend my own. but no hard feelings i hope just being a forum co-founder myself this is what you want to see and as users they should share the same excitement.
Old 11-16-2009, 03:39 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2

neodarksaver is just getting started

It's not a bug, it's a feature.
Old 11-16-2009, 03:39 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

ivwonka is keeping up the good workivwonka is keeping up the good workivwonka is keeping up the good work

I actually think this forum is way more organized than XDA and any new flasher with half a brain would try out the more popular roms (with a ton of views and replies) anyway. Although I think the concept of the opinion is still relevant/logical.
Old 11-16-2009, 03:45 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: 6800
Carrier: sprint

VENTURE7O7 is a n00b

amen to what dash said . i can only be appreciative to all the people creating roms and giving us more options. i encourgage it. As long as you backup your phone i don't see the harm in trying out different roms and deciding to keep it, try another one, or go back to the stock rom. entirely up to you
Old 11-16-2009, 03:57 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: EVO 4G, TP2, Pre, Pixi

newone757 knows their stuffnewone757 knows their stuffnewone757 knows their stuffnewone757 knows their stuffnewone757 knows their stuffnewone757 knows their stuffnewone757 knows their stuff

smh @ this thread
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2