PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2009, 11:24 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

duofold is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Enable or Disable Rev. A (in EPST)?

Long ago, I recall some confusion about what the Rev. A. field should be set at - Enable or Disable? See, if it said, 'Enabled' (with a 'd' or past tense), it would be clearer that Rev. A is on. But a stock Sprint TP2 is 'Enable' out of the box.

First of all, just to view the EPST Menu, type ##778# in your phone dialer. The EPST Menu will prompt you to select View, Edit, or Cancel. To View, all you need to do is select View.

To Edit, you'll need your 6-digit MSL code (which I received when I activated online through Sprint).

Anyway, once past the initial view/edit/cancel screen, the "Display" screen will appear (where you can see your Manufacturer's Date, Refurbishment Status, et al). In the bottom left, press View Info menu and select Data Parameters.

You'll then see what your Rev. A is set at. Again, mine was set at Enable. What I'm asking is that like in the Mogul example, the wording "Enable" would imply that Rev. A is factory set at disabled (with a d). And you'd need to change to Disable in order to enable Rev. A.

In other words, by editing the field to disable, you'll have enabled Rev. A. Too confusing? Or am I wrong? Thoughts?
Old 11-07-2009, 11:42 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 & Evo

mark.wayne is just getting started
Re: Enable or Disable Rev. A (in EPST)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by duofold View Post
In other words, by editing the field to disable, you'll have enabled Rev. A. Too confusing? Or am I wrong? Thoughts?
Hmm....um. So, when I check this field under this EPST menu for Data Parameters, I see:

Rev. A with a setting of 'Enable'.

Are you saying that this means that Rev. A is "Disabled" for me?
Old 11-07-2009, 11:42 AM
N00b
Threadstarter

duofold is a n00b

I did some speed tests on DSL Reports & Mobile Speed Test (which is kind of screwy). After switching to Disable, I went from 900's in DSLR to anywhere from 1200-1400.

On Mobilespeedtest, I went from the 1100's to 2200-2300. Crazy. So, I'm not sure what to believe.

BTW...I'm testing on PIE.
Old 11-07-2009, 11:46 AM
N00b
Threadstarter

duofold is a n00b

Mark, you seem to understand why I'm puzzled.

The wording is really odd (or maybe not). Enable (which the TP2 is set at) vs. enabled. Enable, as in, asking you if you want Rev. A., change this setting.

But then why would Sprint disable Rev. A out of box? Doesn't make sense. But I am getting substantially higher numbers on speed tests when changed to 'Disable'.

Any other speed comparisons?
Old 11-07-2009, 11:51 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Mark, you seem to understand why I'm puzzled.

The wording is really odd (or maybe not). Enable (which the TP2 is set at) vs. enabled. Enable, as in, asking you if you want Rev. A., change this setting.

But then why would Sprint disable Rev. A out of box? Doesn't make sense. But I am getting substantially higher numbers on speed tests when changed to 'Disable'.

Any other speed comparisons?
I see what you're getting at. This puzzles me too - I've noticed that I've been pretty much at about 1100 or less during some test runs. Granted, I pretty much took these mobile speed tests with a grain of salt, but I've always been curious as to whether or not my area has been more sub-standard in quality for Sprint than anyplace else.

I'm going to tinker with this right now, actually! Will hopefully post some results before and after.
Old 11-07-2009, 11:51 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: S3/GN2/AXIOM/TP2/Hero/Moment/EVO
Carrier: *--USCC--*

apristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the community
Send a message via MSN to apristel Send a message via Skype™ to apristel

Wouldn't Enable mean that when you have Rev A signal it will use it?

Thats why it doesn't say Enabled because it may not be able to pull rev a all the time due to towers/signal?

2 cents.
Old 11-07-2009, 12:04 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Well, I humored myself and ran a test prior to me changing the setting.

Previously, I got a 1581kbps download rate on a 1 meg setting on mobilespeedtest.com.

I switched the Rev. A setting to say 'Disable' as opposed to 'Enable', and ran the test after a soft reset.

Afterwards, I ran the same 1 meg setting on the above mentioned site, and I got 2189kbps for my rate..

I have to admit, I am a bit perplexed..
Old 11-07-2009, 12:13 PM
VIP Member

apristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark.wayne View Post
Well, I humored myself and ran a test prior to me changing the setting.

Previously, I got a 1581kbps download rate on a 1 meg setting on mobilespeedtest.com.

I switched the Rev. A setting to say 'Disable' as opposed to 'Enable', and ran the test after a soft reset.

Afterwards, I ran the same 1 meg setting on the above mentioned site, and I got 2189kbps for my rate..

I have to admit, I am a bit perplexed..
I tried it on speedtest.net and got faster speeds with it "enable"

2189 is rocking for you!

clear your cookies between tests.

1.5 on disable 1.8 on enable... tried about 10 tests each way..

weird how yours are the opposite way around.
Old 11-07-2009, 12:32 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

duofold is a n00b

Yeah, like Mark, I'm getting higher numbers when set to "Disable".

Just for giggles, try testing on Skyfire. My TP2 must be some stealth wireless FIOS. I'm getting 22000-28000 kbps (yes, thousand).
Old 11-07-2009, 12:33 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Yeah, like Mark, I'm getting higher numbers when set to "Disable".

Just for giggles, try testing on Skyfire. My TP2 must be some stealth wireless FIOS. I'm getting 22000-28000 kbps (yes, thousand).

If you use Opera it has its own servers that cache the page first and give you high readings. I don't know if skyfire does that, I never use it. 3g is limited to 3mb tops i think.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2