PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2009, 10:36 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

mantispid is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
VPN keeps re-locking phone (certificate requirements)

Does anyone know of a registry tweak to prevent a phone (TP2 in my case) from being re-locked? I have to use SDA-Unlocker whenever I re-establish my company VPN connection. It's quite annoying to have to do this simply to use apps like google maps. The corporate security types have gone way overboard here. The folks using blackberries don't have to deal with this sort of crap.

I somehow prevented it from being re-locked before I had to do a hard reset yesterday. I can't seem to remember exactly what I did, though. I've used the SDA-Unlocker.exe program, clearsecurity.cab file, and the HTC Application unlock.exe program... and none of 'em will stick if I re-connect to the corporate VPN. Ugh!

Ok, a with a little bit of sleuthing I've found that it is the Exchange server re-establishing various security settings in the registry. I need to figure out a way to prevent this from happening. Is there some sort of registry tweak that will deny MS Exchange access to the security policies in the registry?

Last edited by mantispid; 10-08-2009 at 11:27 AM.
Old 10-08-2009, 04:05 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

mantispid is a n00b
Re: VPN keeps re-locking phone (certificate requirements)

There needs to be some sort of app that will block Exhange security policy pushes. Or perhaps some sort of app that blocks registry edits of specific keys...

I've tried Zenyee's StayUnlock, but that only prevents the Exchange Server from re-establishing the lock system. I need something that will prevent the server from doing a lockout of unsigned apps (and their installation as well).

...or even just a simple digitally signed registry editor that can import a registry key or two with a single click.

*sigh*

Last edited by mantispid; 10-08-2009 at 04:12 PM.
Old 10-08-2009, 04:15 PM
WP Heavy Rot Sloth
Pocket PC: Mogul, Touch Pro 1&2, Evo, PhotonQ
Carrier: Sprint

shaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

there are a few out there. the only one off the top my head would be AutoLock (CSDevCtrl) it's a lock app that works with the built in lock. includes an option to reset that timeout.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=386451

btw, I don't use the exchange lock, but I do use this for my everyday phone lock app, tons of options and lightweight.

Last edited by shaggylive; 10-08-2009 at 04:17 PM.
Old 10-08-2009, 04:34 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

mantispid is a n00b

Just to be clear, I'm not really concerned with the password lock that is enforced by Exchange. I just want to be able to run 3rd party apps. The exchange server keeps setting the registry key that prevents unsigned apps from running or being installed.

If there is an app that will prevent this, I'll be golden. The unlocker apps are nice, but my security key is a simple pin and isn't too onerous.
Old 10-08-2009, 04:37 PM
WP Heavy Rot Sloth

shaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

my bad, I didn't fully read. keep looking there might be something out there, otherwise chalk it up to good m$ security, and and ask your admins for more rights.
Old 10-08-2009, 05:04 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC T7380

Mutiny32 knows their stuffMutiny32 knows their stuffMutiny32 knows their stuffMutiny32 knows their stuffMutiny32 knows their stuffMutiny32 knows their stuff
Send a message via ICQ to Mutiny32 Send a message via AIM to Mutiny32 Send a message via MSN to Mutiny32 Send a message via Skype™ to Mutiny32

Ask your Active Directory admin to lax up on the GPO for Windows Mobile devices.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:49 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

mantispid is a n00b

I wish it were that simple. These folks absolutely do not budge on their security policies. I can't even install programs or drivers on my company laptop.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:52 PM
WP Heavy Rot Sloth

is it their phone or yours?
Old 10-09-2009, 09:18 AM
N00b
Threadstarter

mantispid is a n00b

It's theirs. I can't really complain all that much. Still, I hate having to carry two phones because one is so gimped out.
Old 10-09-2009, 04:50 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC T7380

Mutiny32 knows their stuffMutiny32 knows their stuffMutiny32 knows their stuffMutiny32 knows their stuffMutiny32 knows their stuffMutiny32 knows their stuff
Send a message via ICQ to Mutiny32 Send a message via AIM to Mutiny32 Send a message via MSN to Mutiny32 Send a message via Skype™ to Mutiny32

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantispid View Post
It's theirs. I can't really complain all that much. Still, I hate having to carry two phones because one is so gimped out.
Give it back to them and tell them you'd like it back when you are able to use it other than a potential IED or paperweight.

I'm a CISSP and the admins are NOT doing their jobs correctly. Security is supposed to be transparent as possible without hindering business functionality or breaking the law. And it's hindering business functionality.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2