PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2009, 11:42 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Verizon

imnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
WiFi loosing network key

I'm not sure why it's doing this, but my home wifi network is using wpa2 personal and i have it setup on my phone and it connects fine, but it's having a problem saving the network key needed to connect. Usually, it will be fine 2-3 times after wifi was turned on to connect, but then it forgets the key again and I need to re-enter it. I've tried entering the key, turning off wifi and then back on, it remembered the key, but the next time wifi was turned on, it was lost again. Same thing with a soft-reset. I'm not sure what's causing this as I never had this issue on my phone before. Anyone else have similar issues or know of a way to possibly fix this as it's really annoying putting the key in all the time.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:56 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

GreenMotion is a n00b
Re: WiFi loosing network key

I am experiencing this same behavior on my phone. Very annoying. I got so fed up with it, I disabled WiFi for the time being.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:57 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: htc touch pto 2
Carrier: Telus

sonofliberty is becoming a great contributor

Hi ! I hope i can help...

I had a similar issue with a secured network, and the solution came from :

http://www.securew2.com/node/3

by installing:

SecureW2_Personal_Client_204_GA_CE (file attached)

Tell me if it does the job...

cheers !
Attached Files
File Type: zip SecureW2_Personal_Client_204_GA_CE.zip (202.3 KB, 16 views) Click for barcode!
Old 09-28-2009, 12:19 PM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

imnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofliberty View Post
Hi ! I hope i can help...

I had a similar issue with a secured network, and the solution came from :

http://www.securew2.com/node/3

by installing:

SecureW2_Personal_Client_204_GA_CE (file attached)

Tell me if it does the job...

cheers !
Didn't do anything. Looking at the site, it seems to be something geared toward businesses, but after installing, I followed their how to guide and couldn't change the one setting this affects, so it wouldn't do anything to resolve the issue. Thanks for trying though.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:40 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2 and loving it

whatsinaname is just getting started

wow. so it isn't just me. I have had this same issue. I just enter my key and shrug my shoulders. I don't use wifi much with unlimited data plan. but now I know to keep looking for a fix.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:44 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

i700plus is just getting started

Same here on a WPA network... Does anyone know if WEP stays?
Old 09-28-2009, 12:47 PM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

The only reason I need this is that I have almost no signal at home. There have been times were text messages fail to send the signal is so poor, so if I want any data, it's the easiest. I also think I saw that wifi over data connection saves the battery a little bit, but probably not a significant amount unless you're transferring a lot of data.

I may have found a "fix" as well, though I'm not sure why it would fix the issue. I didn't setup my wifi connection when i first setup my phone as I didn't feel like typing in the network key as it's fairly long. I re-ran the setup wizard that's displayed when the device is first powered on, setup wifi through there, and so far, it's been keeping the network key and reconnecting just fine. Not sure why this method would work over using the built in tools, but it is so far. I'll post back if it stops working. If anyone else wants to try, the file to run is \Windows\HTCSetupWizard.exe
Old 09-28-2009, 01:28 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch, Touch Pro, Touch Pro 2

marcus_cruz is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmarcus_cruz is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmarcus_cruz is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmarcus_cruz is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Im thinking about returning mine for this reason, and additionall it will not allow storing static IP's on the adapter. Such as 192...... I talked to 3 different sprint tech reps and they all said the same thing. The device does not support storing and saving settings for Wifi. My mogul did this just fine.
Old 09-28-2009, 01:53 PM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

I've found that it seems to work, as long as wifi isn't disabled. As soon as wifi is turned off, it looses the configuration with the network key and needs to be re-entered. Not sure if it's limited to WPA or if it applies to all encrypted networks. It's really annoying, but I didn't have an issue with my apache and wep. I'm going to try out a mogul and wpa2 tonight or tomorrow then to see if it has the same issue. I see no reason why it can't save the settings. I can get it to keep them as long as wifi is on, but I don't want to leave it on all the time as I only use it occasionally and only when at home.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:28 AM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

So, I just tried setting up wireless on an old 6800 that I have available and it connects fine and is retaining the wireless key. I put it in, turned off wireless several times, allowed the device to sleep and turned it back on, soft reset it a few times and wireless is still connecting just fine. So, this issue is related to something on the TP2 and isn't a windows mobile thing that applies to all devices, so it should be able to be fixed. Now if someone knew how to fix it, that would be great.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2