PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2009, 03:11 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC TouchPro2
Carrier: Verizon

DLCPhoto is keeping up the good workDLCPhoto is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
General Windows Mobile Questions

As I've indicated in previous posts, I'm new to VZW Touch Pro 2, my first Windows Mobile device, coming from Palm 515 and then Palm TX.

1. There are a variety of programs I'd like to try out (e.g. CoPilotLive 8, which apparently has a downloadable Trial program), but I'm not sure how good the Uninstall is if I decide not to keep any given application. I know that on a regular Windows XP or Vista system, many applications leave a fair amount of residue in terms of registry entries, .dll and other files,etc.

I'm wanting to keep my TP2 as lean as possible, and I'd hate to 'clutter' it up, with possibly impaired performance, by simply trying out some new programs. Sometimes a given utility will "break" other OS functions - will a simple uninstall easily reverse these, or does it get stickier than that?? Any experience and perspective appreciated.

2. I normally backup my desktops using a Disk Copying program, copying both OS and Data partitions to extra internal and external hard drives (I actually use the program Casper 5.0 for this). Does Windows Mobile have any built-in backup program? What are the recommended backup strategies and programs, assuming there's nothing that comes with it out of the box.

3. Links to sites with an overall introduction to Windows Mobile, FAQ's, common pitfalls, recommended utilities, etc. would also be helpful.

Thanks!
Old 09-24-2009, 03:20 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

janko10 is keeping up the good workjanko10 is keeping up the good work
Re: General Windows Mobile Questions

1. Installing things on WM is the same as regular windows. Installing and uninstalling LOTS of stuff will eventually leave some registry entries here and there, but you can always hard-reset if it gets too cluttered, messed up. I'd install whatever you want and just see how it goes. Uninstalling fixes lots of issues just like regular windows, but not always.

2. WM does not have a bulit in backup program. You can backup your contacts easily with Outlook and 'copy' your SD card to your harddrive but that's about it. You can try a ton of different programs like SPB Backup or Sprite that will back everything up.

3. To be honest, the forums here are a great souce of general info, just use the search. Also look at forums.xda-developers.com
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-24-2009, 03:20 PM
WP Heavy Rot Sloth
Pocket PC: Mogul, Touch Pro 1&2, Evo, PhotonQ
Carrier: Sprint

shaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

there are several ways to backup your wm device. if you want a quality paid app, I recommend Sprite backup, they offer a combo deal for HTC's with Terminator[gps find/lock/wipe] for $20.
then just make a backup before trying new software.

otherwise I find winmo to be a 'cleaner' OS than the desktop counterparts. I actually have learned more about the windows registry structure, ect from winmo.
Old 09-24-2009, 03:21 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2
Carrier: Telus

Paragon is becoming a PPCGeeks regularParagon is becoming a PPCGeeks regularParagon is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

What I usually do with a new device, is try out numerous software, and once I am settled with what I am going to use I do a hard reset then reload the software I am going to use. I then do a back up using Sprite Backup. I keep this backup on my storage card for future use. doing this gives you a nice clean start and a solid backup to go to if needed.

I have Copilot 8 on my TP2. For 35 bucks it is pretty solid value. I find ALK's customer service a bit lacking, and activation a bit flaking, but once you are up and running it's not bad.

As for uninstalling applications is is entirely up to the application and the developer as to how well they uninstall. I find that often they leave empty folders, but like i said it depends on the developer.

dave
Old 09-24-2009, 04:26 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Some excellent advice and suggestions, which is much appreciated!
Old 09-29-2009, 01:25 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggylive View Post
there are several ways to backup your wm device. if you want a quality paid app, I recommend Sprite backup, they offer a combo deal for HTC's with Terminator[gps find/lock/wipe] for $20.
then just make a backup before trying new software.

otherwise I find winmo to be a 'cleaner' OS than the desktop counterparts. I actually have learned more about the windows registry structure, ect from winmo.
I was just checking, and must have missed that combo deal. Backup sells for $29.95, and the combo for $39.95. Quite a bit more than I was expecting....
Old 09-29-2009, 01:34 PM
WP Heavy Rot Sloth
Pocket PC: Mogul, Touch Pro 1&2, Evo, PhotonQ
Carrier: Sprint

shaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

nope still there
http://www.spritesoftware.com/produc...up-htc-special
10-day HTCUpgradePackTrial cab here-
http://www.spritesoftware.com/store/...gradePackTrial
Old 09-29-2009, 02:12 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Right you are! I didn't see it, or ignored it because it said "Upgrade." I don't have a current product so wouldn't have thought I would qualify for an "Upgrade" but they don't mention needing to have a prior app installed.

Thanks! I'll take care of this tonight.
Old 09-29-2009, 02:23 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paragon View Post
I have Copilot 8 on my TP2. For 35 bucks it is pretty solid value. I find ALK's customer service a bit lacking, and activation a bit flaking,
that is putting it mildly, their CS is the absolute pits.

I own CoPilot & got so sick & fed up with constantly fighting with that retarded activation procedure that I don't even bother installing it anymore. Any time I made the slightest change to my system (never mind flashing a ROM) it would decide to deactivate itself. I wouldn't know this until the next time I tried to use it & it refused to run (I must have activated it 30 times)

I would NEVER EVER advise anybody to buy this app (I use GarminXT now)

~John

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2