PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2009, 10:10 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

helix139 is keeping up the good workhelix139 is keeping up the good workhelix139 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Request for Chefs: Do NOT use Widcomm bluetooth stack from shipped ROMs

It has become abundantly clear that the Widcomm bluetooth stack included in the shipped ROM doesn't play nice with a variety of software, including visual voicemail and voice command. Thus, I would like to request that all custom ROMs and kitchens will include the more standard MS bluetooth stack rather than the $hitcomm stack if at all possible. Thanks in advance!
Old 09-17-2009, 10:20 PM
you know ...
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 3D
Carrier: Sprint

meatgel is halfway to VIP status based on repmeatgel is halfway to VIP status based on repmeatgel is halfway to VIP status based on repmeatgel is halfway to VIP status based on repmeatgel is halfway to VIP status based on repmeatgel is halfway to VIP status based on repmeatgel is halfway to VIP status based on repmeatgel is halfway to VIP status based on repmeatgel is halfway to VIP status based on repmeatgel is halfway to VIP status based on repmeatgel is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to meatgel
Re: Request for Chefs: Do NOT use Widcomm bluetooth stack from shipped ROMs

It actually has been an improvement with the connection in my car, so I don't think this sweeping generalization is the perfect answer ... I do admit 2.1 is supposed to be backward compatible and isn't working with some software, but some software is being updated to accommodate the updated stack. There's got to be a better answer than just not using the newer stack.

Also, wasn't the stack in the TP1 2.0 a Widcomm stack as well? Maybe I am confused.

Sprint Evo 3D! ...

Last edited by meatgel; 09-17-2009 at 10:53 PM.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:51 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

helix139 is keeping up the good workhelix139 is keeping up the good workhelix139 is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatgel View Post
It actually has been an improvement with the connection in my car, so I don't think this sweeping generalization is the perfect answer ... I do admit 2.1 is supposed to be backward compatible and isn't working with some software, but some software is being updated to accommodate the updated stack. There's got to be a better answer than just not using the newer stack.

Also, wasn't the stack in the TP1 2.0 a Widcomm stack as well? Maybe I am confused.
It's not the BT version that is the problem. It's the fact that the stack is a Non-MS stack. The MS Stack works perfectly fine and is the generally accepted WinMo standard (and thus the most widely developed for) and there really was no reason to switch to something else. The TP1 has an MS stack. The last HTC to have a Widcomm stack was the XV6600/PPC6600 IIRC. When the stack works properly, it's great, but that seems to be the exception rather than the rule. It's having a ton of problems across the board with software, such as MSVC, VVM, etc., not to mention the nerfed PAN profile leaving ICS with no bluetooth option. Perhaps in the kitchens it could be made into a selectable option, but I for one hate the thing. Give me a 2.1 MS stack or even the 2.0 MS stack.

Last edited by helix139; 09-18-2009 at 09:54 AM.
Old 09-18-2009, 12:20 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

iamrobk is a n00b

AFAIK they can't put the MS stack in because they would need a driver for it, and the driver doesn't exist, or something like that, so I think you're SOL.
Old 09-18-2009, 01:47 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: iPhone
Carrier: AT&T

zim2323 is keeping up the good workzim2323 is keeping up the good workzim2323 is keeping up the good work

I wonder if this stack is meant to interface with WM6.5 more then WM6.1, and they accepted a few inherent problems in order to get the phone out the door.

In other words, could there be some new bluetooth API or driver included in WM6.5 that isn't included in WM6.1, that will make everything fine once we have the WM6.5 ROM's???

I could be WAY off, but that's something I thought of.
Old 09-18-2009, 01:53 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Kamokazi is becoming a PPCGeeks regularKamokazi is becoming a PPCGeeks regularKamokazi is becoming a PPCGeeks regularKamokazi is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via ICQ to Kamokazi Send a message via AIM to Kamokazi Send a message via Yahoo to Kamokazi Send a message via Skype™ to Kamokazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamrobk View Post
AFAIK they can't put the MS stack in because they would need a driver for it, and the driver doesn't exist, or something like that, so I think you're SOL.
From what I have seen on PCs, the stacks are compatible with certain chips, the driver is kind of a part of them. Like with dongles, you could download a different stack, ironically to not use the MS one since its profile support was horrible, and the common one to use was Widcomm.

Is the bluetooth built into the main Qualcomm chip? If so, I would think that should be compatible.
Old 09-18-2009, 02:20 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamrobk View Post
I don't think that is the case. I remember many people were switching to the MS bluetooth stack from Widcomm on the Blue Angel, but that was WM2003. Even if that is the case, I wouldn't doubt that the driver from HTC phones with similar chipsets would be compatible, such as the driver from the TP1.
Old 09-18-2009, 02:25 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

iamrobk is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamokazi View Post
From what I have seen on PCs, the stacks are compatible with certain chips, the driver is kind of a part of them. Like with dongles, you could download a different stack, ironically to not use the MS one since its profile support was horrible, and the common one to use was Widcomm.

Is the bluetooth built into the main Qualcomm chip? If so, I would think that should be compatible.
I think the bluetooth chip is separate, since I found the MSM7600 datasheet (looking into the FM radio, which is located on the bluetooth chip) and it makes no reference to the bluetooth chip, leading me to believe it's separate.
Old 09-18-2009, 04:20 PM
ebb
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: XV 6875

ebb is becoming a great contributor

Having tried a few different 6.5 ROMS on the 6800 with the MS stack, the bluetooth performance was better (in my car at least) than any 6.0 or 6.1 ROM which I've used, including the TP2, so I wouldn't worry about getting rid of Widcomm. On the other hand, the Samsung 760i which I had for a short time had Widcomm, and was universally panned for it lousy bluetooth performance. I would second the OP on this.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:31 PM
FZ1
N00b
Pocket PC: Hermann
Carrier: vzw

FZ1 is just getting started
Please be sure...

Neither the Titan's nor the Raphael's shipped bluetooth works with Nissans (or Infinitis) that have navigation. Many have tried to fix it with no luck.

The Rhodium's is the first shipped bluetooth to work on a Sprint/Verizon HTC device in a long time.

History of the struggle here

I don't know enough about the specifics here to comment constructively, but I thought it was relevant.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2