PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2009, 08:44 AM
Jay6700

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Thoughts on the Verizon Touch Pro2

Out of the box
I opened the box to see my Touch Pro2 looking up at me. The box was small and efficient, and they packed a lot of stuff in there. Two things here. Boxes are trophy's for me. If I buy a video game, I'll pay extra for the exotic packaging to get the extra goodies, special case, etc. The box could have been a wee bit flashier, but oh well. Myself, and about 98% of the other Touch Pro2 owners will never need those power adapters. Come on now, sell them for $3 each at a verizon store, and those that need them can grab them. Instead, include a case! It's a big and heavy phone, does not travel well in the pocket. I would have really liked to get a belt mounting case with the phone, instead of having to go and snag one off ebay for $7.99 because they're $30 in the store. I would even settle for a clip that I could use for hte time being until I got my case.

Checking out the Goods
It took me a clear 10 minutes to figure out how to turn the phone on. I was completely convinced either they shipped it with a 100% battery, or the phone was DOA. Every single HTC product I've owned, and it's been a few, the power button has always been on the top left, never the end call button. We're past that though, it's on, it'll probably not turn off again for the next 2 years. Every single person that has seen the phone has asked "What's this defect on the back?" I tell them it's a map of the world, since it's a world phone. They squint, look closer, and say "Oh, ok." It's neat, I think Verizon could have cleaned up the image a little. Construction feels very solid. The slide and tilt are excellent. It has a stylus. I'm not sure why, but hey, why not. At least it's full size.

Power on!
The booted to Windows Mobile 6.1. A little dated, but ok. Still had threaded SMS, and that's what was important. TouchFlow3d is extremely responsive, portrait to lanscape is quick, screen turns off when you put it to your ear to avoid button pressing(most of the time at least) and comes back when you take it away from your ear. The TF3D overlay encompasses everything, including the start menu, your two soft-key's, etc, to give a very nice look and feel. Everything is extremely fluid, there's no lag at all. Opera is the default browser, and while it takes a bit of getting used to, it's quite nice. I've been tinkering non-stop for almost 24 hours, and my battery meter is at 80%. TF3D does not work with my email system, however. It displays unread email count at the bottom, but when I click on it, it says no mail account set up. For this reason, I've disabled TF3D in favor of SPB Mobile Shell 3, which is running beautifully.

Goodies
Finally, there is a dock available. My boss has a storm with the dock and it's cooler than hell I think. I'd really like to have one for my TP2. They had them for other phones, but usually they were aftermarket, generic, poorly made, didn't fit right, or all of the above. There's a windshield mount that looks quite nice as well, designed for this phone, and would make the gps function quite easy to use. OEM case is nice as well. I have all of these items en route, and will gladly answer any questions regarding them once they arive.

Upgrading from my Touch to this phone was the best thing that ever happened. Sure, it's bigger, heavier(very noticable when the touch is the previous phone), but it's over-all quality and functionality is superior in every way.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:07 AM
Cotton Pickin' Mod
Pocket PC: Droid X
Carrier: Verizon aka VZW aka BigRed

bignadad can't get a higher reputation levelbignadad can't get a higher reputation levelbignadad can't get a higher reputation levelbignadad can't get a higher reputation levelbignadad can't get a higher reputation levelbignadad can't get a higher reputation levelbignadad can't get a higher reputation levelbignadad can't get a higher reputation levelbignadad can't get a higher reputation levelbignadad can't get a higher reputation levelbignadad can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via MSN to bignadad Send a message via Yahoo to bignadad Send a message via Skype™ to bignadad
Re: Thoughts on the Verizon Touch Pro2

LOVE IT!!!
cannot belive how much of a difference the memory is between the two.

i mean the touch pro was SOOOO SLOWWWW. i had to disable everything bc it took so freaking long to do anything. i basically was running a ssk rom with titanium and winmo dialer and i still had issues.

with this tp2 that is a thing of the past. i feel like these phone are finally starting to be able to handle everything the makers pack into them. but as many phones in the past have shown its hard to have a fully functioning PDA / PHONE / MULTIMEDIA device that works well and is fast. i think i have finally found one though!

i have found very little to complain about. even the stock ROM is impressive. i guess the only thing i really miss is winmo 6.5, but its almost hard to miss with this impressive new touch flo 3d 2.1
Old 09-16-2009, 09:11 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Imagio
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

spetrillo knows their stuffspetrillo knows their stuffspetrillo knows their stuffspetrillo knows their stuffspetrillo knows their stuffspetrillo knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay6700 View Post
Out of the box
I opened the box to see my Touch Pro2 looking up at me. The box was small and efficient, and they packed a lot of stuff in there. Two things here. Boxes are trophy's for me. If I buy a video game, I'll pay extra for the exotic packaging to get the extra goodies, special case, etc. The box could have been a wee bit flashier, but oh well. Myself, and about 98% of the other Touch Pro2 owners will never need those power adapters. Come on now, sell them for $3 each at a verizon store, and those that need them can grab them. Instead, include a case! It's a big and heavy phone, does not travel well in the pocket. I would have really liked to get a belt mounting case with the phone, instead of having to go and snag one off ebay for $7.99 because they're $30 in the store. I would even settle for a clip that I could use for hte time being until I got my case.

Checking out the Goods
It took me a clear 10 minutes to figure out how to turn the phone on. I was completely convinced either they shipped it with a 100% battery, or the phone was DOA. Every single HTC product I've owned, and it's been a few, the power button has always been on the top left, never the end call button. We're past that though, it's on, it'll probably not turn off again for the next 2 years. Every single person that has seen the phone has asked "What's this defect on the back?" I tell them it's a map of the world, since it's a world phone. They squint, look closer, and say "Oh, ok." It's neat, I think Verizon could have cleaned up the image a little. Construction feels very solid. The slide and tilt are excellent. It has a stylus. I'm not sure why, but hey, why not. At least it's full size.

Power on!
The booted to Windows Mobile 6.1. A little dated, but ok. Still had threaded SMS, and that's what was important. TouchFlow3d is extremely responsive, portrait to lanscape is quick, screen turns off when you put it to your ear to avoid button pressing(most of the time at least) and comes back when you take it away from your ear. The TF3D overlay encompasses everything, including the start menu, your two soft-key's, etc, to give a very nice look and feel. Everything is extremely fluid, there's no lag at all. Opera is the default browser, and while it takes a bit of getting used to, it's quite nice. I've been tinkering non-stop for almost 24 hours, and my battery meter is at 80%. TF3D does not work with my email system, however. It displays unread email count at the bottom, but when I click on it, it says no mail account set up. For this reason, I've disabled TF3D in favor of SPB Mobile Shell 3, which is running beautifully.

Goodies
Finally, there is a dock available. My boss has a storm with the dock and it's cooler than hell I think. I'd really like to have one for my TP2. They had them for other phones, but usually they were aftermarket, generic, poorly made, didn't fit right, or all of the above. There's a windshield mount that looks quite nice as well, designed for this phone, and would make the gps function quite easy to use. OEM case is nice as well. I have all of these items en route, and will gladly answer any questions regarding them once they arive.

Upgrading from my Touch to this phone was the best thing that ever happened. Sure, it's bigger, heavier(very noticable when the touch is the previous phone), but it's over-all quality and functionality is superior in every way.
Mine will be in my hands when I get home tonight. I had a 6700, 6800, 6900, and the last phone an Omnia (Bad choice). I have fat fingers so the software keyboards of the 6900 and Omnia did not work well for me. So I am back to a hw keyboard and really looking forward to an overall excellent user experience with my TP2.

I agree a case should be part of the package, even if it is a cheap one. It gets us going, and heck it would only cost HTC/VZW a couple bucks to put one in with each phone. I have an old 6800 leather case, so I am wondering out loud if the TP2 would fit in it.

Steve
Old 09-16-2009, 09:15 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: VZW: Touch Pro2, Titan, Vogue, and Touch Pro
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

mdjkim is just getting started

I've written a mixed review so far...

http://www.medicalsmartphones.com/20...n-initial.html

Now that it's day #2, I'm starting to get used to some things...
Old 09-16-2009, 09:16 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro II in Hand
Carrier: VZW MR1 6.5

Tech Addiction knows their stuffTech Addiction knows their stuffTech Addiction knows their stuffTech Addiction knows their stuffTech Addiction knows their stuffTech Addiction knows their stuff

Mine turns on with the top button. Maybe it's just the first time the device turns on you have to use the end key.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:25 AM
Jay6700

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

It's only the first time you need to use the end call button. Otherwise your phone is "sleeping", and the top button wakes from sleep, however if you pull the battery or kill it for a full power-down, you'll need to use the end call button once again to turn it back on.

The stock rom is freaking incredible, best I've ever used. I don't miss 6.5, because 6.5 for me offered nothing more than performance improvement over 6.1, and that isn't a problem on this phone. I didn't use the fancy interface of 6.5 or anything like that, always back to the normal, or spb mobile shell.

The stock speaker is amazing. The clarity and volume which it plays music is outstanding. Really blows me away. It's the type of sound quality you'd expect out of a nice set of powered speakers for your computer to replace your internal poor quality speakers. This, of course, also means speakerphone quality is awesome. And ringer volume.

Also, I have fat fingers. I have found that the diamond keyboard works beautifully with my fingers, and took no getting used to, when using my 6900/touch. Down side, it takes up 60% of the screen.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:56 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro II in Hand
Carrier: VZW MR1 6.5

Tech Addiction knows their stuffTech Addiction knows their stuffTech Addiction knows their stuffTech Addiction knows their stuffTech Addiction knows their stuffTech Addiction knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay6700 View Post
however if you pull the battery or kill it for a full power-down, you'll need to use the end call button once again to turn it back on.
Not true at least on the Verizon one. I just pulled the battery and as soon as I put it back in I was able to press the top button and it booted up. It may be just the first initial turn on that requires the end press key. Try it you'll see.

But to stay on topic this is the best phone I have ever had period. I like all of the upgrades and tweaks made to this device. It's hard to tell the TP1 and TP2 are made by the same company and I;m talking about the Sprint one which is what I had before this one on VZW still. I can't believe VZW let this phone get out of there hands as perfect as this one did. That's just not like you Verizon.

Last edited by Tech Addiction; 09-16-2009 at 12:02 PM.
Old 09-16-2009, 12:05 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Thunderbolt
Carrier: Verizon

kyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

There are only two things I dislike about this phone right now. One is that there is no flash on the camera..The other is the only way to access the reset button is to remove the back cover or drill a hole in the cover, which I really dont want to do. But other than those two things, I love the phone so far!
Old 09-16-2009, 12:21 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

deadwrong03 knows their stuffdeadwrong03 knows their stuffdeadwrong03 knows their stuffdeadwrong03 knows their stuffdeadwrong03 knows their stuffdeadwrong03 knows their stuffdeadwrong03 knows their stuff
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to deadwrong03 Send a message via MSN to deadwrong03 Send a message via Yahoo to deadwrong03 Send a message via Skype™ to deadwrong03

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle4269 View Post
There are only two things I dislike about this phone right now. One is that there is no flash on the camera..The other is the only way to access the reset button is to remove the back cover or drill a hole in the cover, which I really dont want to do. But other than those two things, I love the phone so far!
those are my only 2 complaints as well otherwise i LOVE this phone drastic improvement over the first touch pro (the verizon gimped tp) this phone moves like a dream with very little to no hiccups
Old 09-16-2009, 12:29 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech Addiction View Post
I like all of the upgrades and tweaks made to this device. It's hard to tell the TP1 and TP2 are made by the same company and I;m talking about the Sprint one which is what I had before this one on VZW still. I can't believe VZW let this phone get out of there hands as perfect as this one did. That's just not like you Verizon.
I agree 100% In fact it's so beautiful I can't stop looking at it! I've been thinking of sending a letter to Verizon corporate thanking them for the progress they've made in the past year in regards to not gimping phones. I remember the standard excuse was that all phones underwent "rigorous testing" before they would release them and that's why it took so long. I'm so glad that excuse is no longer being used.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2