PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2009, 04:03 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 & MS 3.5
Carrier: Sprint

SKS06460 is keeping up the good workSKS06460 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Close Data Connection Automatically

Please don't flame me, I've used the search and can't find an answer.
Whenever I update weather, or open an internet session using any of the available browsers, my TP2, of course, automatically opens a data connection.
When I close my internet session, the phone remains connected until I manually go into the Comm Manager and close the data connection.
Is there a cab available that automatically closes the data connection when an internet session closes ?
Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:15 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Droid X2
Carrier: Verizon

phain is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to phain
Re: Close Data Connection Automatically

I used Advanced Config, but it was more complicated that I imagined to get it working completely.

In Advanced Config, press Menu > More settings > Connections > Check "Disconnect after", I use 10 seconds.

Now, the reason why your connection is still staying open half the time is because Opera runs in the background. To TRULY close opera, you must do this:

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showpost.p...3&postcount=91
Old 09-15-2009, 04:29 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 & MS 3.5
Threadstarter

SKS06460 is keeping up the good workSKS06460 is keeping up the good work

Thanks.
Not to seem dense, (although I am) but I can't find the "Advanced Configuration". Is it a tab in another program ? I've looked under phone, I've looked under advanced network, connections comm manager. I'm just unable to find the settings you reference.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:36 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Droid X2
Carrier: Verizon

phain is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to phain

You can download Advanced Config here
Old 09-16-2009, 02:02 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

KurtMendel is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKS06460 View Post
Please don't flame me, I've used the search and can't find an answer.
Whenever I update weather, or open an internet session using any of the available browsers, my TP2, of course, automatically opens a data connection.
When I close my internet session, the phone remains connected until I manually go into the Comm Manager and close the data connection.
Is there a cab available that automatically closes the data connection when an internet session closes ?
Thanks in advance for any help.
It sounds like you need to better understand how data works on the phone. Data has three modes: Active, Dormant and disconnected.

In the Active mode (bright white arrows above your EV or 1X icon), the phone is actually communicating with the network. This is using power and what not. Active mode will prevent incoming voice calls when on 1X service, but not on EV service.

In the Dormant mode (greyed out arrows above the EV or 1X icon), it is NOT communicating with the network. It is simply remembering the settings it got from the cell tower when it was in Active mode and is prepared to start communicating again much more quickly as a result. There is no over the air traffic and hence no power consumption in Dormant mode. Dormant mode will never prevent an incoming voice call.

Normally what happens when you use an app that connects to the Internet, the phone will go to Active mode, then quickly go to the Dormant mode. If after a period of time (9 minutes IIRC) you don't further use the data connection, it is automatically disconnected.

Thus, there is really no need to disconnect the data when you exit an app. It's all taken care of for you in the most efficient manner possible.

Last edited by KurtMendel; 09-16-2009 at 02:04 AM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:44 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

napdawg is a n00b

I emailed HTC and here's their response:

[I would be more than happy to assist you with this information. The Touch Pro2 was intended to have access to the carrier’s data connection at all times. Many programs in the device use this to keep data current (weather, stocks, etc). With a CDMA device like yours, we have no way of altering the device’s data connection. Only the carrier has access to that data. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.
If you have any other questions, feel free to contact us again. There is also a customer satisfaction survey at http://survey.htc.com/worldwide for you to take if you are interested. We enjoy getting feedback from our customers and look forward to hearing from you.
Sam
HTC Tech Support
http://www.htc.com ]
Old 10-20-2009, 09:33 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

EGOvoruhk is halfway to VIP status based on repEGOvoruhk is halfway to VIP status based on repEGOvoruhk is halfway to VIP status based on repEGOvoruhk is halfway to VIP status based on repEGOvoruhk is halfway to VIP status based on repEGOvoruhk is halfway to VIP status based on repEGOvoruhk is halfway to VIP status based on repEGOvoruhk is halfway to VIP status based on repEGOvoruhk is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by phain View Post
In Advanced Config, press Menu > More settings > Connections > Check "Disconnect after", I use 10 seconds.
Does anyone know what this changes in the registry? I don't really need Advanced Config, and would prefer to make CAB that would just adjust the registry every time I hard reset

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2