KurtMendel
Lurker

KurtMendel is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Close Data Connection Automatically

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKS06460 View Post
Please don't flame me, I've used the search and can't find an answer.
Whenever I update weather, or open an internet session using any of the available browsers, my TP2, of course, automatically opens a data connection.
When I close my internet session, the phone remains connected until I manually go into the Comm Manager and close the data connection.
Is there a cab available that automatically closes the data connection when an internet session closes ?
Thanks in advance for any help.
It sounds like you need to better understand how data works on the phone. Data has three modes: Active, Dormant and disconnected.

In the Active mode (bright white arrows above your EV or 1X icon), the phone is actually communicating with the network. This is using power and what not. Active mode will prevent incoming voice calls when on 1X service, but not on EV service.

In the Dormant mode (greyed out arrows above the EV or 1X icon), it is NOT communicating with the network. It is simply remembering the settings it got from the cell tower when it was in Active mode and is prepared to start communicating again much more quickly as a result. There is no over the air traffic and hence no power consumption in Dormant mode. Dormant mode will never prevent an incoming voice call.

Normally what happens when you use an app that connects to the Internet, the phone will go to Active mode, then quickly go to the Dormant mode. If after a period of time (9 minutes IIRC) you don't further use the data connection, it is automatically disconnected.

Thus, there is really no need to disconnect the data when you exit an app. It's all taken care of for you in the most efficient manner possible.

Last edited by KurtMendel; 09-16-2009 at 02:04 AM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.